ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Immigration reforms and future of Tier 1 (PSW)

Archived UK Tier 1 (Post-Study Work) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Kasun
Newly Registered

Post by Kasun » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:49 pm

camille wrote:
tall_funky wrote:
camille wrote:Is this visa definitely going to be abolished?
I'm graduating in July next year and was hoping to apply. :(
I hope you are safe.
no one knows how and when UKBA will be closing PSW.
They will be starting the consultation soon and i request everyone to participate in it.

Cheers!
Any idea when the final decision will be made?
The minister's letter in UKBA mentions, "We want to hear views on our proposals from a wide range of people. The consultation will run for 8 weeks until 31st January. This is shorter than a standard 12 week consultation so that the policy can be announced in advance of the next
academic year. "

I think we will be fine, otherwise it's violation of student rights. Universities have been advertised using the PSW. They cannot mislead current students, I think all international students need to be united.

Tier 4
- thin ice -

Post by Tier 4 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:11 pm

Kasun wrote:
camille wrote:
tall_funky wrote:
camille wrote:Is this visa definitely going to be abolished?
I'm graduating in July next year and was hoping to apply. :(
I hope you are safe.
They will be starting the consultation soon and i request everyone to participate in it.

Cheers!
The minister's letter in UKBA mentions, "We want to hear views on our proposals from a wide range of people. The consultation will run for 8 weeks until 31st January. This is shorter than a standard 12 week consultation so that the policy can be announced in advance of the next
academic year. "

I think we will be fine, otherwise it's violation of student rights. Universities have been advertised using the PSW. They cannot mislead current students, I think all international students need to be united.
What about those who will be Graduate in 2012 with other than Postgraduate degrees.
N/A

HD461
Newly Registered

Post by HD461 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:18 pm

The most important point is, they should not close this route for students who enroll their University courses before 2010!!

Kasun
Newly Registered

Post by Kasun » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:30 pm

Tier 4 wrote:
Kasun wrote:
camille wrote:
tall_funky wrote:
I hope you are safe.

Cheers!
academic year. "

What about those who will be Graduate in 2012 with other than Postgraduate degrees.
At the moment, we only know that the government is going to do a ridiculous change to the PSW. Still they didn't post anything about the particular changes except indications of changes. In the next 8 weeks (till 31st of Jan) there will be a consultation.

The particular parties affecting with the time period will soon with the policy. I think it completely fair for genuine students like you to obtain the PSW. According to some news, they are still arguing about the changes.

this is the online consultation for public, give your view. That's only we can do for the time being.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm= ... 9e8Q%3d%3d

this is the minister's letter regarding the issue.
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... tudent.pdf

the UKBA site
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... isa-system

prova

Post by prova » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:35 pm

hi ,

i m graduating on 17 May and worried about new rules as i did not think anything else rather than switching into PSW . I can not go for new course
because of new rules to leave the country for fresh application . do not know what else waiting for our fate.

xleft
- thin ice -

New rules must apply only to new arrivals

Post by xleft » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:47 pm

Hi

You all can participate in public consultation.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... /students/

Please participate. I think we must demand that new rules must be applied to those who arrived to UK after 2010. All who arrived before 2011 had some expectations and planned their lives accordingly. So write to Border Agency and demand it ! If they receive a lot of our letters, we have more chances. Do it now! Don't delay. Also send a copy of your thoughts and demands to their email: studentconsultation@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk

You already paid overseas tuition fees. You have some rights in this country! You contributed to this economy and it is unfair to apply changes to us, who already here.

xleft
- thin ice -

Post by xleft » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:51 pm

Also don't forget to ask your friend and family to express their opinions. Make it easier for them, provide them with links, forms, etc. This government need to understand that they are dealing with human beings here. Were are not some sheep. So make your voice heard! Even if you can't vote here, you still contributed to this economy and you never claimed any benefits and never made any problems for this society. They must not punish those who trusted in UK in the first place by coming here to study.

Tier 4
- thin ice -

Post by Tier 4 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:24 am

xleft wrote:Even if you can't vote here, you still contributed to this economy.
All international students have a right to vote and unfortunately I end up voting in favour of LibDams, that’s was a biggest mistake, shame on them who didn’t stand by their pledge which was completely in favour of immigrants.
N/A

xleft
- thin ice -

Post by xleft » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:56 am

Tier 4 wrote:
xleft wrote:Even if you can't vote here, you still contributed to this economy.
All international students have a right to vote and unfortunately I end up voting in favour of LibDams, that’s was a biggest mistake, shame on them who didn’t stand by their pledge which was completely in favour of immigrants.
Well, I myself agree with some proposals. For example, some short-term courses need to be scraped. Trusted Sponsors need to be checked even better. But it's not fair to touch Post -Study and to force people to leave the country to apply for new degree if they already made their plans for next 3-4 years. Why 3-4 years? Because some students already applied this year for BA degrees because they were promised Post Study. And BA degrees last for 3-4 years. So Conservatives must really think twice what minefields they put for universities. And how they imagine some adult student in the middle of his/her research and cooperation with university forced to leave this country and wait overseas in queue until his new student application is approved? This is ridiculous! They already admitted that more than half of students study on below degree courses. So why punish degree level students and make their lives harder? I don't think universities will eat this. But it also depends on those who are students now and how much they make their voices heard. That's why it's important to let them hear now. So, participate in Border Agency consultation and also ask your universities, you all must have international student offices, to press this government. Degree-level students must be able to switch inside the country. And all who planned to get Post-Study, must be able to get Post-Study.

mist99
Newly Registered

Post by mist99 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:59 am

I guess the most effective way is to push the universities. If some students consult their universities for the possibility of terminating their courses and having tuition fee refunded because of the termination of PSW (certainly you don't have to really drop out if you intend to finish your course), that would cause huge pressure on the universities, as most universities have to consider the serious consequences of losing up to several millions of pounds (imagine there are 200 students each claiming 10000 pounds back in every university). Could they afford this possible huge financial loss when the government is also cutting the budget to them? They may have to contact the MPs immediately for clarification.

Tier 4
- thin ice -

Post by Tier 4 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:02 am

xleft wrote:Also don't forget to ask your friend and family to express their opinions. Make it easier for them, provide them with links, forms, etc. This government need to understand that they are dealing with human beings here. Were are not some sheep. So make your voice heard! Even if you can't vote here, you still contributed to this economy and you never claimed any benefits and never made any problems for this society. They must not punish those who trusted in UK in the first place by coming here to study.
God, I miss my country so so much ……… After spending hell lot of money here I realize whats the point? But one thing for sure I ain’t going back empty hand. I will rip off every single credit card I have ........... That’s the least I can do for this economy I guess.
Last edited by Tier 4 on Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
N/A

Tier 4
- thin ice -

Post by Tier 4 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:21 am

What consultation? They already have made up their mind to scrap PSW other wise they could not bring it on at first place. Now University can get funds from local students who will start paying same as an international student. All they want is to make you mentally prepare.

Application from outside the country is utter rubbish, when a person come and live here; mean he has an accommodation, some acquaintance faces, some cash, or if he be lucky then a part time job. Now they want us spend a good amount of money on flight go back, get the visa and start all over again. Long story short they should cut the crap and tell every one to get the hell out of here.

Pardon my lingo guys am so depressed, I will speak to my adviser and drop out from my course, its point less if I cant use my skills here one I finish my study. Just save some pennies whatever you got left.
N/A

tall_funky
BANNED

Re: PSW to be scrapped

Post by tall_funky » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:18 am

Kasun wrote:Minister of State for Immigration Damian Green's letter published in the UKBA website mentions the PSW might be scrapped in the near future. However it mentions they are running a 8 week (till 31st Jan) consultation before taking any further action. The new policies will be popped out and effect to students in next academic year. Following is the quote from the letter mentioning this fact.

"We want to hear views on our proposals from a wide range of people. The consultation will run for 8 weeks until 31st January. This is shorter than a standard 12 week consultation so that the policy can be announced in advance of the next academic year. "
Finally a ray of hope:
Kasun wrote: "the policy can be announced in advance of the next academic year. "
I wish when he says next academic year he means Sep 2011.

tall_funky
BANNED

Post by tall_funky » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:20 am

HD461 wrote:The most important point is, they should not close this route for students who enroll their University courses before 2010!!
I agree, to be precise anyone who started their course before 23rd Nov 2010.

tall_funky
BANNED

Post by tall_funky » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:22 am

prova wrote:hi ,

i m graduating on 17 May and worried about new rules as i did not think anything else rather than switching into PSW . I can not go for new course
because of new rules to leave the country for fresh application . do not know what else waiting for our fate.
Prova, just hold tight and prepare to fight for your rights if you have to.

tall_funky
BANNED

Post by tall_funky » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:25 am

mist99 wrote:I guess the most effective way is to push the universities. If some students consult their universities for the possibility of terminating their courses and having tuition fee refunded because of the termination of PSW (certainly you don't have to really drop out if you intend to finish your course), that would cause huge pressure on the universities, as most universities have to consider the serious consequences of losing up to several millions of pounds (imagine there are 200 students each claiming 10000 pounds back in every university). Could they afford this possible huge financial loss when the government is also cutting the budget to them? They may have to contact the MPs immediately for clarification.
Good strategy, lets push all universities/colleges who promised us PSW.

tall_funky
BANNED

Post by tall_funky » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:27 am

Tier 4 wrote: God, I miss my country so so much ……… After spending hell lot of money here I realize whats the point? But one thing for sure I ain’t going back empty hand. I will rip off every single credit card I have ........... That’s the least I can do for this economy I guess.
Wrong approach i guess!
If you really want your money back you should fight for your PSW, which was promised to you.

tall_funky
BANNED

Post by tall_funky » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:33 am

Tier 4 wrote: I will speak to my adviser and drop out from my course, its point less if I cant use my skills here one I finish my study. Just save some pennies whatever you got left.
Cheer up Tier4!
Talking to your adviser is a good idea and try to get a cast iron guarantee from him about PSW.
Its not only about your money, its about time, effort, career options, etc

tall_funky
BANNED

Post by tall_funky » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:37 am

xleft wrote: And all who planned to get Post-Study, must be able to get Post-Study.
xleft, i guess we have to be united and fight for our rights just like HSMP guys did few years back.

Blackwater1

Post by Blackwater1 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:33 am

Did university/college promise you about PSW on a bond paper?
If HO decides to scrap PSW immeadiately,they will do it ruthlessly.They did it in March 2009 following PGD certificates scams.They have the numbers in the parliament to pass the bill.There is nothing much that can be done exept taking part in the consultation proess for your satisfation.
AND there is no point speculating UNTIL HO publishes the rules!!!

Tier 4
- thin ice -

Post by Tier 4 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:32 am

Blackwater1 wrote:Did university/college promise you about PSW on a bond paper?
Well then they should mention it clearly in advertisement documents, “PSW is subject to change according to latest government rulesâ€
Last edited by Tier 4 on Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
N/A

Tier 4
- thin ice -

Post by Tier 4 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:36 am

Scotland is a home of almost 40 colleges and 20 Universities where thousands of International students are studying in different diplomas and degrees by investing a huge sum of money. This FTI scheme was launched in February 2004 to boost the population of Scotland but unfortunatly opposition towards the scheme was voiced by some English universities which felt that the Initiative gave Scottish universities a competitive advantage in terms of attracting students from overseas therefore this scheme was ended on 29th June, 2008 when the UK government brought PSW for entire country.

Therefore anyone who is studying in Scotland might have a wee chance to restore “Fresh Talent Initiativeâ€
Last edited by Tier 4 on Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
N/A

Tier 4
- thin ice -

Post by Tier 4 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:51 am

tall_funky wrote:
Tier 4 wrote: I will speak to my adviser and drop out from my course, its point less if I cant use my skills here one I finish my study. Just save some pennies whatever you got left.
Cheer up Tier4!
Talking to your adviser is a good idea and try to get a cast iron guarantee from him about PSW.
Its not only about your money, its about time, effort, career options, etc
Money has gone, career UK has screwed, who cares about efforts. Advisor has a same old story “there is nothing they can doâ€
N/A

Kasun
Newly Registered

Re: New rules must apply only to new arrivals

Post by Kasun » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:45 am

xleft wrote:Hi

You all can participate in public consultation.

Please participate. I think we must demand that new rules must be applied to those who arrived to UK after 2010. All who arrived before 2011 had some expectations and planned their lives accordingly. So write to Border Agency and demand it ! If they receive a lot of our letters, we have more chances. Do it now! Don't delay. Also send a copy of your thoughts and demands to their email: studentconsultation@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk

You already paid overseas tuition fees. You have some rights in this country! You contributed to this economy and it is unfair to apply changes to us, who already here.
You're absolutely correct, as International students who came to this country to learn then get the deserved working experience needs to be available. The government cannot mislead us by announcing policies from nowhere. When we are deciding to study in UK, the PSW was a key reason. That's why we choose UK, The Universities advertise the PSW to attract students.

We need to spread the word among our colleagues and participate in this consultation.

luckylondon

Post by luckylondon » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:24 pm

yes very true...they cant play with our future....if they really want to apply some new policies..thn shuld be applied to new arrivals....not to us who alrdy suffered a lott.....they cant simply change in middle of the game....we had paid a lott to thm and their university....plz take part in consulation and talk to universities or be redy to take thm to court....we all need to get united, same thng was happn to HSMP people in 2006 but they won..so we need to thnk too