ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Expert advice required please.

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

kenc
United Kingdom

Expert advice required please.

Post by kenc » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:24 pm

I am British, my wife is Indonesian.
We married in UK when my wife was granted a 2 year ILE permit.
We then moved to Cyprus where we both obtained residency.
During the time we were in Cyprus I returned to UK with my wife on a Family Visit Permit a number of times.

Last year we decided to leave Cyprus and return to UK, my wife once again entering UK on a Family Visit Permit. Shortly afterwards my wife applied for EEA2 residence card. We sent all our relevant documents to UKBA Liverpool, and after a 7 month wait my wife received her Residence Card as a standalone document.

In September we returned to Cyprus on holiday. No problem leaving UK, no problem entering Cyprus. We returned to UK yesterday. No problem leaving Cyprus but something of a hiccup at Heathrow Terminal 5.

I presented the immigration officer (a pretty young lady) with mine and my wife's passports and my wife's standalone residence card. She looked at my passport and then at my wife's residence card and asked me if she was my wife and why she had a residence card. I said because we were resident in UK.

The immigration officer told me that my wife is in possession of am incorrect document. She was very unclear and was unable to explain what document she should have for residence.
My wife's residence card states "Residence Card of a Family Member of an EEA National". She told me that I am British and not an EEA National (not strictly true). She said it should state something about me being British.

She was unable to tell me what document my wife should have or what I should do. She eventually let us through without any further problem but the whole thing has left us totally confused.

Just hoping that an 'expert' can enlighten me.

Thanks
Ken

86ti
Diamond Member

Post by 86ti » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:29 am

I am not aware that family members of British spouses would get a differently worded Residence Card. Wouldn't make sense. I believe the young lady was wrong. If she really thought she was right I wonder why she could not clarify the issue on the spot with a senior officer.

Have a look through the ECIS, esp. Chapter 5.

smallpie
Member of Standing
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Expert advice required please.

Post by smallpie » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:26 am

kenc wrote:I am British, my wife is Indonesian.
We married in UK when my wife was granted a 2 year ILE permit.
We then moved to Cyprus where we both obtained residency.
During the time we were in Cyprus I returned to UK with my wife on a Family Visit Permit a number of times.

Last year we decided to leave Cyprus and return to UK, my wife once again entering UK on a Family Visit Permit. Shortly afterwards my wife applied for EEA2 residence card. We sent all our relevant documents to UKBA Liverpool, and after a 7 month wait my wife received her Residence Card as a standalone document.

In September we returned to Cyprus on holiday. No problem leaving UK, no problem entering Cyprus. We returned to UK yesterday. No problem leaving Cyprus but something of a hiccup at Heathrow Terminal 5.

I presented the immigration officer (a pretty young lady) with mine and my wife's passports and my wife's standalone residence card. She looked at my passport and then at my wife's residence card and asked me if she was my wife and why she had a residence card. I said because we were resident in UK.

The immigration officer told me that my wife is in possession of am incorrect document. She was very unclear and was unable to explain what document she should have for residence.
My wife's residence card states "Residence Card of a Family Member of an EEA National". She told me that I am British and not an EEA National (not strictly true). She said it should state something about me being British.

She was unable to tell me what document my wife should have or what I should do. She eventually let us through without any further problem but the whole thing has left us totally confused.

Just hoping that an 'expert' can enlighten me.

Thanks
Ken
mate, i dont think there is nothin for u and yr wife to worry abt, as long as u can prove both of you are still married and its the ukba that issue the RC, no worries. the lady at the airport doesnt know what she is talking abt..they just like to delay and prove they know it all. enjoy your time mate.
CITIZENSHIP confirmed.