ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Question about employment references?

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Ryannoah
Newly Registered

Question about employment references?

Post by Ryannoah » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:57 am

Hi!
I'm just finishing an internship with an MP, and looking for my next one. The MP has already given me a reference, on his letterhead and signed, for me to show to any potential employers. I'm in the process of getting a reference from one of my university lecturers, but theyre being a bit funny about it. The guy in particular never liked me that much, but is pretty much the only person I can ask as my other tutor has moved to Palestine and is pretty much incommunicado. The thing is, can I reasonably ask for a similar letter of reference from this tutor, or am I being unreasonable? he keeps asking for the job details, and while i'm applying for quite a number of positions and it would be pretty unfeasabile to give him each and every email address. Surely this way is easier, even if he does seem to want to keep the contents of this reference from me...

Anybody been in a similar situation? Am I being naive/overreacting to this?
Thanks a lot for help and advice...

kenfrapin

Post by kenfrapin » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:32 pm

Ryan,

For the UK market, employers do not look at previous references UNTIL they have made you and offer, you have accepted and both sides have bought into the deal. Once this is done, they then start all background checks and ask YOU for references.

So, its only at this particular point in time that your potential employer will ask to provide reference names and contact details. There is no point cluttering your CV with references before hand as no one really cares unless they have decided to hire you.

Best to apply for roles, secure one and provide references when your employer asks for them - thats how it works usually

KP