ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Immigration reforms and future of Tier 1 (PSW)

Archived UK Tier 1 (Post-Study Work) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Tier 4
- thin ice -

Post by Tier 4 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:12 pm

prova wrote:there are many universities who runs academic year from February . Even if you check London based university u will find the February courses.If they give 1 year transitional period i think at least we could survive for a while .
Transitional period means it should go along with on-going qualification not by on its self with some specific period.

Its like few can get it and few can’t, if a person doing one year study and other person doing three year study (means 3 time expensive study) both got admission in Sep 2010. How they going to make it work? Can’t wait to see what they will come up with.
N/A

tusso

Post by tusso » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:36 am

To be honest, based on the way the government has been working, it seems that MAYBE they will only give transitional arrangements to people finishing their degree in 2011 but I don't see them differing it that much since they are keen on lowering immigration levels :(

xleft
- thin ice -

Post by xleft » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:59 am

Tier 4 wrote:
prova wrote:there are many universities who runs academic year from February . Even if you check London based university u will find the February courses.If they give 1 year transitional period i think at least we could survive for a while .
Transitional period means it should go along with on-going qualification not by on its self with some specific period.

Its like few can get it and few can’t, if a person doing one year study and other person doing three year study (means 3 time expensive study) both got admission in Sep 2010. How they going to make it work? Can’t wait to see what they will come up with.
Look, even in online consultation they propose transitional periods like: 1) 0-12 months; 2) 12 - 25 months; 3) 25 months - 37 months and 4) 37+ months. So they clearly realise that a lot of people and universities will be pissed off. So we need to demand that all these new changes won't apply to people who arrived before 2011, simple. There are many immigration laws which work like that.

mist99
Newly Registered

Post by mist99 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:27 am

Personally I think we have got the power to influence the policy but don't know how to use it. Don't count on the mercy of the government or the court for your chance! Just imagine 50000 international students (probably mainly master's) threaten to claim fully or partially their tuition fees back (at least you can get most of your tuition fees back as you have only done one term), say 7000 pounds, universities may lose 350 millon pounds. you can imagine how many departments in universities or even universities themselves have to close down, how many lecturers have to lose their jobs, and how many landlords would have to struggle with their morgages!! That is our power. We just have to stop our daydream about the possible luck and act now so that universities could exert pressure on the government for transitional policy before the start of next term! According to Warwick University, 'On 13 December, the Home Affairs Select Committee will launch an inquiry into proposed restrictions on Tier 4 migrants.' That's at least one chance. We just have to inform our fellow international students and form groups in every university. I would really want people to suggest further on this strategy and start our campaign as soon as possible!

Tier 4
- thin ice -

Post by Tier 4 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:44 am

mist99 wrote:Personally I think we have got the power to influence the policy but don't know how to use it. Don't count on the mercy of the government or the court for your chance! Just imagine 50000 international students (probably mainly master's) threaten to claim fully or partially their tuition fees back (at least you can get most of your tuition fees back as you have only done one term), say 7000 pounds, universities may lose 350 millon pounds. you can imagine how many departments in universities or even universities themselves have to close down, how many lecturers have to lose their jobs, and how many landlords would have to struggle with their morgages!! That is our power. We just have to stop our daydream about the possible luck and act now so that universities could exert pressure on the government for transitional policy before the start of next term! According to Warwick University, 'On 13 December, the Home Affairs Select Committee will launch an inquiry into proposed restrictions on Tier 4 migrants.' That's at least one chance. We just have to inform our fellow international students and form groups in every university. I would really want people to suggest further on this strategy and start our campaign as soon as possible!
Well then we can all joint together, give our institutions and Government a final date with our terms, if they agree then its fine otherwise stop making further payments and ask for compensation.

After that either to go home or keep living here just likes that as long as we want.
N/A

Tier 4
- thin ice -

Post by Tier 4 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:30 am

http://www.parliament.uk/business/commi ... ent-visas/

Post study work route–making that more selective, for exampleâ€
N/A

tall_funky
BANNED

Post by tall_funky » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:31 am

gws14l wrote:You know what, I think the best way we can do is telling all of international students in our university about this visa problem, especially non EU students.

The more people are involved in this consultation, the bigger chance that the UK government gives us attention.

I just sent an email to International Student Association in my university asking them to inform all of international students in my university because I realized that not so many people aware about this visa problem. If they won't help, I'm gonna inform all of international students using my own way.

So, instead of thinking what the government should do, please start making a movement, then we can start making a move for this thing.
Spot on!
Good move and I request everyone to do the same.

tall_funky
BANNED

Post by tall_funky » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:37 am

Tier 4 wrote:
Also, one bad news... in the consultation, it says if u are for closing post work study, that's it. It doesn't say anything about phasing in changes...only if you select that u want changes to psw
It does say about the time period as well, it work like that :

10. What changes do you think we should make to the Tier 1 Post Study Work route?
What changes do you think we should make to the Tier 1 Post Study Work route? [Please note, the paper consultation document has an open-ended box for comment on this question] Close the route entirely
Restrict it significantly
Other

11. Over what period of time do you think the route should be closed/restricted?
Over what period of time do you think the route should be closed/restricted? Immediately
0-11 Months
12-24 Months
25-36 Months
37 Months plus
Don't know

12. Do you think access should, nonetheless, be restricted to only those awarded a PhD by a UK university?
Do you think access should, nonetheless, be restricted to only those awarded a PhD by a UK university? Yes
No
Don't know
I think 37 Months plus is a good answer(it covers almost everyone who started their course in 2010).
Restricting to only Phd is a bad idea.

tall_funky
BANNED

Post by tall_funky » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:42 am

fibreman wrote:
Tier 4 wrote:
Also, one bad news... in the consultation, it says if u are for closing post work study, that's it. It doesn't say anything about phasing in changes...only if you select that u want changes to psw

10. What changes do you think we should make to the Tier 1 Post Study Work route?
What changes do you think we should make to the Tier 1 Post Study Work route? [Please note, the paper consultation document has an open-ended box for comment on this question] Close the route entirely
Other

11. Over what period of time do you think the route should be closed/restricted?
Over what period of time do you think the route should be closed/restricted? Immediately
0-11 Months
12-24 Months
25-36 Months
37 Months plus
Don't know

12. Do you think access should, nonetheless, be restricted to only those awarded a PhD by a UK university?
Do you think access should, nonetheless, be restricted to only those awarded a PhD by a UK university? Yes
No
Don't know
I only see this q... from this link:
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... /students/

QUESTION 9
What changes do you think we should make
to the Tier 1 Post Study Work route?
a) Close the route entirely
b) Restrict it significantly
c) Other
If you chose option b) or c) please provide
additional comments and suggestions, including
on the timing of any changes and any transitional
arrangements you feel would be necessary
I guess we need to fill both surveymonkey and paper consultation because in paper consultation we can refer them to MBA Provision and ask them to give us the same treatment which is only fair.

tall_funky
BANNED

Post by tall_funky » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:49 am

Tier 4 wrote:
fibreman wrote:
Tier 4 wrote:

Other

0-11 Months
12-24 Months
25-36 Months
37 Months plus
Don't know

No
Don't know
I only see this q... from this link:
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... /students/

QUESTION 9
c) Other
arrangements you feel would be necessary
I said do whatever you want to do but after 25-36 Months cos i m Graduating in Oct 2012, still got almost 2 years. What on earth can i do, besides my international co-ordinator is complete dummy, all she cares is about her nails.
I guess you need to keep her busy by emailing her and asking all the International students you know to do the same.

tall_funky
BANNED

Post by tall_funky » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:58 am

xleft wrote:
gws14l wrote:You know what, I think the best way we can do is telling all of international students in our university about this visa problem, especially non EU students.

The more people are involved in this consultation, the bigger chance that the UK government gives us attention.

I just sent an email to International Student Association in my university asking them to inform all of international students in my university because I realized that not so many people aware about this visa problem. If they won't help, I'm gonna inform all of international students using my own way.

So, instead of thinking what the government should do, please start making a movement, then we can start making a move for this thing.
Brilliant! I also think that they must allow university-degree students to get new visas inside the UK. They propose that all will be required to leave the country to apply for new student visa. I think they try to punish the best. University students don't abuse immigration system. Instead of monitoring and closing bogus short-term courses they want to make life harder for all university students. Students must also protest this proposal that you have to leave the country to apply for new student visa. If you want to get MA after BA or PHD after MA, why you should leave and apply with the rest of the world ?
Xleft, I think these are two different problems.
Even if they allow you this time to extend from inside, next time you will be on different visa which will not allow you to do that.
Any transitional arrangement will be only for current visa holders.

I Agree they should close bogus colleges, most of the problems will vanish in thin air.

tall_funky
BANNED

Post by tall_funky » Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:02 am

prova wrote:After 8 weeks of consultancy they will bring the rules as soon as possible . It does mean they are introducing the rules before February to make sure the academic year February 2011 batch need to follow the new rules . Hence , there is no hope for those students who are expecting their degree on middle of February in 2011.Please vote for transitional period for atleast 1 year .
I don't agree simply because most of the Feb 2011 recruitment must have been done by now.
When they say next academic year, i guess they mean Sep 2011.

tall_funky
BANNED

Post by tall_funky » Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:13 am

Tier 4 wrote:

Transitional period is a cut off date.
For e.g they can say anyone who is starting their course before Sep 2011 is under transitional arrangement just like in MBA provision HSMP they had june 2008

tall_funky
BANNED

Post by tall_funky » Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:17 am

xleft wrote:
Tier 4 wrote:

Look, even in online consultation they propose transitional periods like: 1) 0-12 months; 2) 12 - 25 months; 3) 25 months - 37 months and 4) 37+ months. So they clearly realise that a lot of people and universities will be pissed off. So we need to demand that all these new changes won't apply to people who arrived before 2011, simple. There are many immigration laws which work like that.
Yes, you are right xleft.
Transitional arrangement must be there for everyone.

tall_funky
BANNED

Post by tall_funky » Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:42 am

mist99 wrote:Personally I think we have got the power to influence the policy but don't know how to use it. Don't count on the mercy of the government or the court for your chance! Just imagine 50000 international students (probably mainly master's) threaten to claim fully or partially their tuition fees back (at least you can get most of your tuition fees back as you have only done one term), say 7000 pounds, universities may lose 350 millon pounds. you can imagine how many departments in universities or even universities themselves have to close down, how many lecturers have to lose their jobs, and how many landlords would have to struggle with their morgages!! That is our power. We just have to stop our daydream about the possible luck and act now so that universities could exert pressure on the government for transitional policy before the start of next term! According to Warwick University, 'On 13 December, the Home Affairs Select Committee will launch an inquiry into proposed restrictions on Tier 4 migrants.' That's at least one chance. We just have to inform our fellow international students and form groups in every university. I would really want people to suggest further on this strategy and start our campaign as soon as possible!
I don't see how "stop paying fees" will work??

How about forming an online group and we can ask everyone to join and help each other.

fibreman

Post by fibreman » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:57 pm

tall_funky wrote:
Tier 4 wrote:

Transitional period is a cut off date.
For e.g they can say anyone who is starting their course before Sep 2011 is under transitional arrangement just like in MBA provision HSMP they had june 2008
Yes. spot on! I am already activating people around me, in my Uni and spreading information... many people don't seem to even know that they are at stake. A quiet blow could follow... I have already started work on this.

Also, you are 110% right. Legal system in UK knows precedents I think, and decision for HSMP MBA transition programme, is one precedent, made by same party-ukba. I think we could crush this in court, using this fact. Otherwise, we are discriminated against.

mist99
Newly Registered

Post by mist99 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:22 pm

[quote="Tier 4"]http://www.parliament.uk/business/commi ... ent-visas/

Tier 4
- thin ice -

Post by Tier 4 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:15 pm

[quote="mist99"][quote="Tier 4"]http://www.parliament.uk/business/commi ... ent-visas/

N/A

luckylondon

Post by luckylondon » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:32 pm

well i too have started the job...i meet to my International service consuler and trying to form some group......its request to evryone..to take part more and more part.....so tht we can be well prepared for any activity....these government cant simply use us whn they want and say byee whn thy dont...ther are some policies, procedures, laws and systematic way to do thngs....we shuld be having same policies when we got admission or garnted visa...otherwise why we wuld had come here, rather to go some country wch benifts us more...

mist99
Newly Registered

Post by mist99 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:33 pm

tall_funky wrote:
Tier 4 wrote:

Other

0-11 Months
12-24 Months
25-36 Months
37 Months plus
Don't know

No
Don't know
I think 37 Months plus is a good answer(it covers almost everyone who started their course in 2010).
Restricting to only Phd is a bad idea.
Misleading!! You mixed up questions of different sections. Look at question 3:
If you answered yes to the previous question, what
time period do you think is appropriate for phasing
in these new measures?
a) 0-11 months
b) 12 – 24 months
c) 25 – 36 months
d) 37 months plus
e) Don’t know

This is for T4 visa. It seems that they are only considering transitional policy for T(4) General route rather than PSW. The only question about PSW is question 9:
c) Other
arrangements you feel would be necessary.

Home Office did not, like they did for T(4) General, prospose different time scales as options, which implies they are more likely to close it entirely.

fibreman

Post by fibreman » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:48 pm

mist99 wrote:
Home Office did not, like they did for T(4) General, prospose different time scales as options, which implies they are more likely to close it entirely.
Well, that's what I fear... but, even if they do close it, they should provide some transition period.

I remind you, HSMP MBA work visa was similar to psw... and when closed, it did not apply to those who already started mba. Should they close it in flash, we could go to court and appeal to discrimination, considering there is a precedent.

Also, universities need to know in advance etc. and this ain't so simple. If u were to graduate in 6 months, spent 50k here, can they just close it in front of you?

Another things... this survey is suggestive... it implies that it adds to unemplyoment, students can already get through tier 2 etc. and to uninformed poeple, it pushes them to say "close it". requiring sponsorship is a big deal... nothing like psw. The text in the intro misleads people to say "close it".

This is a dirty game they are playing...I think they could lose in court, considering it would be against what was previosuly done.

Remember, even for work routes, it was known more than 6 months ahead that changes will be from april, right?

So far, the changes made haven't been in flash...

fibreman

Post by fibreman » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:36 pm

Also, I would be willing to go to court if we had a strong case... we need lawyers also here. Many students are affected by this... tens of thousands.
We need to organise and push till the end if needed. However, only if there is a chance for it.

HSMP people had to fight hard and bitter for their rights... eventually, they will close the scheme for sure, though.

I fear worst, but hope for the best... I am activating many people...

Tier 4
- thin ice -

Post by Tier 4 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:19 pm

fibreman wrote:Also, I would be willing to go to court if we had a strong case... we need lawyers also here. Many students are affected by this... tens of thousands.
We need to organise and push till the end if needed. However, only if there is a chance for it.

HSMP people had to fight hard and bitter for their rights... eventually, they will close the scheme for sure, though.

I fear worst, but hope for the best... I am activating many people...
We need contribution from all students for legal expenses. Any suggestions?
N/A

mist99
Newly Registered

Post by mist99 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:35 pm

fibreman wrote:
mist99 wrote:
Well, that's what I fear... but, even if they do close it, they should provide some transition period.

I remind you, HSMP MBA work visa was similar to psw... and when closed, it did not apply to those who already started mba. Should they close it in flash, we could go to court and appeal to discrimination, considering there is a precedent.

Also, universities need to know in advance etc. and this ain't so simple. If u were to graduate in 6 months, spent 50k here, can they just close it in front of you?

Another things... this survey is suggestive... it implies that it adds to unemplyoment, students can already get through tier 2 etc. and to uninformed poeple, it pushes them to say "close it". requiring sponsorship is a big deal... nothing like psw. The text in the intro misleads people to say "close it".

This is a dirty game they are playing...I think they could lose in court, considering it would be against what was previosuly done.

Remember, even for work routes, it was known more than 6 months ahead that changes will be from april, right?

So far, the changes made haven't been in flash...
We all hope there will be a transitional policy. However, the question they put indicates the possibility of closing without transition. As regards the court action, please bear in mind that last year when they changed the psw policy to exclude postgrade certificate and postgraduate diploma from the scheme, they did not give any transition period. So there is a real danger!

shussain452

Post by shussain452 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:44 pm

i think they gave a couple of months before closing psw rote for pgd students