ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Immigration reforms and future of Tier 1 (PSW)

Archived UK Tier 1 (Post-Study Work) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

anjum70

Post by anjum70 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:14 am

Recent news heard is this link

http://www.universityworldnews.com/arti ... 9192100914

Point to note is

The "Tier 1 Post Study Work Route" will be closed. This has enabled international students to stay in the UK for up to two years after being awarded their degree, working in unskilled jobs, in order to look for skilled work. Instead they will be restricted to applying for skilled jobs. This would remove an entitlement granted to 38,000 international graduates in 2009 and almost 8,000 of their dependants.

Any comments on this plz ?????????[/b]

fibreman

Post by fibreman » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:02 am

mist99 wrote:
We all hope there will be a transitional policy. However, the question they put indicates the possibility of closing without transition. As regards the court action, please bear in mind that last year when they changed the psw policy to exclude postgrade certificate and postgraduate diploma from the scheme, they did not give any transition period. So there is a real danger!
Yes, but that is the issue with potential bogus colleges and chop shop universities, so to say, which enabled issuance of these visas... in this case, it is different.

Here, we are talking about legit, graduate uni level system being scrapped completely. It is not the same issue.

fibreman

Post by fibreman » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:05 am

anjum70 wrote:Recent news heard is this link

Point to note is

The "Tier 1 Post Study Work Route" will be closed. This has enabled international students to stay in the UK for up to two years after being awarded their degree, working in unskilled jobs, in order to look for skilled work. Instead they will be restricted to applying for skilled jobs. This would remove an entitlement granted to 38,000 international graduates in 2009 and almost 8,000 of their dependants.

Many news, many rumours... we need some definitive decisions. So far, we have none. I think the scheme will be closed entirely, all we can do, is fight for transition period and fairness for those who spend years of life and invested significant money here to study, to keep their original conditions.

fibreman

Post by fibreman » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:07 am

Tier 4 wrote:
fibreman wrote:Also, I would be willing to go to court if we had a strong case... we need lawyers also here. Many students are affected by this... tens of thousands.
We need to organise and push till the end if needed. However, only if there is a chance for it.

HSMP people had to fight hard and bitter for their rights... eventually, they will close the scheme for sure, though.

I fear worst, but hope for the best... I am activating many people...
We need contribution from all students for legal expenses. Any suggestions?
How much money do we need, do we have any lawyers to assist us? I would be willing to contribute... for common goal. We can't save psw, but we can maybe get a transitionary period.

asmi10

Post by asmi10 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:12 pm

i feel this is what the chances should be for both student visa and Psw......if anyone feels my points are valid please write them down in the consultation.....If i have missed some thing please add on.... try as much as possible and make the students aware..some even dont know as yet abt the consultation....

1)HTS and A rated colleges only should offer courses below degree level which will help UKBA reduce the huge amount of students who apply from B rated colleges and work full time.
2)Nobody should be spared when it comes to requirements for English language.and the standard should be set high.there are many people who come to UK cannot even speak English.

3)students who wish to remain in UK after initial course is over should submit a progress reports so that ukba will be able to identify it the student is geniun or no.if the student is showing good progress he should be allowed to apply for a new course within UK as he is geniun if the progress is not satisfactory then that student should apply from outside UK for student visa.
4)students who wish to study for more than 12 months should be allowed to bring in their spouse as prohibiting the spouse entry will interfere the family life.but the spouse should be only allowed to work 10 hrs per week.it has been the case that spouse come and work which indirectly takes up jobs of the students who need it to support them selves during their studies.and it also increases unemployment rate in UK. allowing the spouse to work for 10 hrs a week will insure that the student and their spouse are not living below poverty and are able to effort good food and accommodation for themselves.

5)psw visa helps students who are fresh graduates without any work experience to enter UK labour market without any sponsor.this helps them gain experience after which most UK employers would like to sponsor them. we cannot expect a UK employer to sponsor a freshly graduate student who has no idea abt the UK market.Psw helps give that experience to student.ukba has suggested that student can change to tier 2 but no UK employer will employ an employee who has no experience.America,Canada,newzealand and Australia allow freshly graduated students to work on after completion of studies to gain experience in labour market .if psw is removed students will prefer to go to those countries where they are allowed to work as a fresher,then there would be no need to spend a lot of money if UK is not going to allow freshers to work.recently french president announced that they want students to say in France after completion of studies.

6)psw should be only given to students who have gained bachelor's ,master's or PHD from a UK university after studying in UK.

7)psw should be only allowed internally..accepting psw applications from out side UK should be stopped as it is allowing people to come to UK and take up jobs of the freshly graduates who end up doing cheap labour jobs.if psw is restricted to phd degree holders what will happen to those students who have come to UK in 2008,2009,2010 and who have already paid fees for Jan 2011 intake and have applied for visa and the universities have promised them psw visas.UKBA further said that students are allowed for 4 months to stay after their course is over but four months experience working full time is not enough that a UK employer will sponsor some one with 4 months of full time experience for which working 2 year full time on a psw visa is necessary.

8)if the UKBA still decided to remove psw then these students who are finishing bachelor's,masters and have come to UK in 2008,2009,2010 and Jan 2011 intake should be allowed a right to get a psw as and when they finish studies.the students of September 2011 intake should be told abt the changes in psw.

9)we understand that ukba is trying hard to reduce migration but removing psw visa for students who are studying inside UK will not be able to get a taste of working in UK labour market and will suffer and give out negative publicity for future students who wish to study in UK.psw removal will see a sharp down turn in admissions to UK colleges and universities and the UK economy will suffer at the end which is on a way to recovery .UK needs the money from non EU students to bring in cash in the economy.

10)all applications should be treated equally and not favored in any way.A good person can commit an offence while a criminal can mend his ways and lead a good like. UKBA should favour students who take up course with HTS or A rated colleges as there is less chances of those students to commit mistakes and this has been agreed by ukba themselves.

tusso

Post by tusso » Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:34 pm

[quote="fibreman"][quote="asmi10"]i feel this is what the chances should be for both student visa and Psw......if anyone feels my points are valid please write them down in the consultation.....If i have missed some thing please add on.... try as much as possible and make the students aware..some even dont know as yet abt the consultation....
[/quote]

Agreed, but it's a waste of time... they have already decided to close psw, that's it. Publicly, it's been said. What is the consultation for if decision is here already? Mockery... the only thing we can fight for is transitory system for those finishing already.

At best, ukba will average to see how many yes, no votes there are...
they won't read all of the stories we give them.

Germany,
Australia, Canada, US and ohers have this system... graduates are fresh people with drive and potential. It is a great loss to expel them.

This whole govt is a mockery... these policies a tragedy... they are not based on any facts, but arbitrary numbers and agenda... it's apolitical thing, MAC already said they want the route to stay.[/quote]

Meh... Not completely true, if they wanted to go 100% with the decision they would have closed it already, I doubt they will leave it the way it is, but they might restrict it, and hopefully give a transition period for people graduating this year... Apart from the Russell Group opposing to the closure of PSW Vince Cable also expressed his concerns, so its still hard to say

fibreman

Post by fibreman » Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:40 pm

tusso wrote:

Meh... Not completely true, if they wanted to go 100% with the decision they would have closed it already, I doubt they will leave it the way it is, but they might restrict it, and hopefully give a transition period for people graduating this year... Apart from the Russell Group opposing to the closure of PSW Vince Cable also expressed his concerns, so its still hard to say
Well, I hope you are right... but this public thing might just be a show... this si what i fear, that we can't do anything.

Cable expressed concerns over fees, immigration etc. but liberals have completely bowed to tories, and u see what we have.

As I said, even a restriction requires transit period... that's all I hope for. Most likely, it's closure. I mean, reducing to say phd only, is same as closure for me...

fahmad

Post by fahmad » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:13 pm

OMG at one moment when I read tis a few days ago I just thought like WHAT THE H***? I pay £12500 a year! Yeh that's what they make u pay in Central London. not namin the uni but yeh.

When I enrolled in the course, British Council reps and university reps MARKET their courses with a 'prospective job' opportunities under the PSW. To be honest, like many of you I got sold for it and one of the reasons why I dropped America and Australia despite the fact I got into top unis there.

I thought PSW in the UK, graduating from London - a short work experience here would let me launch a quicker career path.

Now after all of these, in my final year, I get to know it is going to be closed.

I think the Conservatives are only bothered to show STATISTICAL data that they have brought down net migration. They don't really care HOW this is done. Student visas and PSW visas are not permanent visas. To begin with they shouldn't even count these visa categories as 'migrants' cuz tbh we are not 'migrating'. Migration that they need to be concerned about is permanent migration. Student visas and PSW do not even count towards qualifying for permanent residency or citizenship, so in what what these have been seen as damaging? I think international students contribute so much to the economy, we have been paying 'market price' for the universities, if I'm not mistaken £5.3bn towards the UK economy yearly (that's from current figures not when they SLASH down numbers of international students).

They say we put pressure into public spending. How again? We pay everything by ourselves and are not state-dependent. For the PSW, we will pay UK taxes in employment, we will have to pay council taxes, so WE are contributing towards public spending.

Although I agree they have the perogative to change anything, they should for one uphold their integrity and moral rights in at least letting off students already in UK education to qualify for the scheme. I agree with most of you.

If you need any contribution COUNT ME IN.

Best thing is to forward a message to all SU leaders, International Students Association in UK universities, International Offices in all UK universities, Immigration Minister, Home Minister, Business Skills and Innovation Shadow Minister. We can also sign a petition at the 10 Downing St website. Well to be honest do anything until the end. At least we tried.

At the end of the day, we are international students. When we made a decision to study overseas, that showed our maturity in great depths. If this country has nothing to offer, I guess time to move on. It will suffer economic repercussions for decisions it takes.

Do keep this thread alive and updated. Don't stop until we get a desirable outcome! Get connected with all your fellow international students.

fibreman

Post by fibreman » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:06 pm

fahmad wrote:OMG at one moment when I read tis a few days ago I just thought like WHAT THE H***? I pay £12500 a year! Yeh that's what they make u pay in Central London. not namin the uni but yeh.

When I enrolled in the course, British Council reps and university reps MARKET their courses with a 'prospective job' opportunities under the PSW. To be honest, like many of you I got sold for it and one of the reasons why I dropped America and Australia despite the fact I got into top unis there.

I thought PSW in the UK, graduating from London - a short work experience here would let me launch a quicker career path.

Now after all of these, in my final year, I get to know it is going to be closed.

I think the Conservatives are only bothered to show STATISTICAL data that they have brought down net migration. They don't really care HOW this is done. Student visas and PSW visas are not permanent visas. To begin with they shouldn't even count these visa categories as 'migrants' cuz tbh we are not 'migrating'. Migration that they need to be concerned about is permanent migration. Student visas and PSW do not even count towards qualifying for permanent residency or citizenship, so in what what these have been seen as damaging? I think international students contribute so much to the economy, we have been paying 'market price' for the universities, if I'm not mistaken £5.3bn towards the UK economy yearly (that's from current figures not when they SLASH down numbers of international students).

They say we put pressure into public spending. How again? We pay everything by ourselves and are not state-dependent. For the PSW, we will pay UK taxes in employment, we will have to pay council taxes, so WE are contributing towards public spending.

Although I agree they have the perogative to change anything, they should for one uphold their integrity and moral rights in at least letting off students already in UK education to qualify for the scheme. I agree with most of you.

Best thing is to forward a message to all SU leaders, International Students Association in UK universities, International Offices in all UK universities, Immigration Minister, Home Minister, Business Skills and Innovation Shadow Minister. We can also sign a petition at the 10 Downing St website. Well to be honest do anything until the end. At least we tried.

At the end of the day, we are international students. When we made a decision to study overseas, that showed our maturity in great depths. If this country has nothing to offer, I guess time to move on. It will suffer economic repercussions for decisions it takes.

Do keep this thread alive and updated. Don't stop until we get a desirable outcome! Get connected with all your fellow international students.
110% agree! Like you, I also pay 12000 per year, plus livign costs... PSW was a major factor why I came here, droppign also other options. Ironically, now, other countries do offer this... while UK will talk to us.

And I agree, we don't use any services... we heavily overpay our stay here. There are atl 500 000 ilelgals in UK... nobody does anything... and now we will be expelled. We were brought here under false promises.

Lets take this to court and fight... I'm tired of being played...

tall_funky
BANNED

Post by tall_funky » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:50 pm

fibreman wrote:
tall_funky wrote:
Tier 4 wrote:
prova wrote:there are many universities who runs academic year from February . Even if you check London based university u will find the February courses.If they give 1 year transitional period i think at least we could survive for a while .
Transitional period means it should go along with on-going qualification not by on its self with some specific period.

Its like few can get it and few can’t, if a person doing one year study and other person doing three year study (means 3 time expensive study) both got admission in Sep 2010. How they going to make it work? Can’t wait to see what they will come up with.
Transitional period is a cut off date.
For e.g they can say anyone who is starting their course before Sep 2011 is under transitional arrangement just like in MBA provision HSMP they had june 2008
Yes. spot on! I am already activating people around me, in my Uni and spreading information... many people don't seem to even know that they are at stake. A quiet blow could follow... I have already started work on this.

Also, you are 110% right. Legal system in UK knows precedents I think, and decision for HSMP MBA transition programme, is one precedent, made by same party-ukba. I think we could crush this in court, using this fact. Otherwise, we are discriminated against.
To be honest, from the very start i'm 100% convinced, we can win this and we must win this if it ends up in court.

For e.g closing psw without giving transitional period can be debated in court on the basis of human rights law, constitutional law and immigration law, may be any other law which i'm not aware of.
Very famous judgment is in the case of Pankina.
Very strong precedent is MBA provision HSMP.

tall_funky
BANNED

Post by tall_funky » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:52 pm

luckylondon wrote:well i too have started the job...i meet to my International service consuler and trying to form some group......its request to evryone..to take part more and more part.....so tht we can be well prepared for any activity....these government cant simply use us whn they want and say byee whn thy dont...ther are some policies, procedures, laws and systematic way to do thngs....we shuld be having same policies when we got admission or garnted visa...otherwise why we wuld had come here, rather to go some country wch benifts us more...
Spot on luckylondon, no one should be allowed to USE us.

tall_funky
BANNED

Post by tall_funky » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:58 pm

fibreman wrote:Also, I would be willing to go to court if we had a strong case... we need lawyers also here. Many students are affected by this... tens of thousands.
We need to organise and push till the end if needed. However, only if there is a chance for it.

HSMP people had to fight hard and bitter for their rights... eventually, they will close the scheme for sure, though.

fibreman, lets not confuse here about saving PSW. We cannot save PSW, all we asking is Transitional arrangement for everyone who started their course before 23rd Nov 2010.
We will fight till end if needed.

tall_funky
BANNED

Post by tall_funky » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:03 pm

anjum70 wrote:Recent news heard is this link

Point to note is

Anjum this is very good.
38000 is a big number so lets assume people getting affected by closing PSW without transitional arrangement is 60000. I'm sure this is on the low end.
Guy's now the question is if we can contact all 60000 people, we can win this hands down.

tall_funky
BANNED

Post by tall_funky » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:08 pm

fibreman wrote:
mist99 wrote:
We all hope there will be a transitional policy. However, the question they put indicates the possibility of closing without transition. As regards the court action, please bear in mind that last year when they changed the psw policy to exclude postgrade certificate and postgraduate diploma from the scheme, they did not give any transition period. So there is a real danger!
Yes, but that is the issue with potential bogus colleges and chop shop universities, so to say, which enabled issuance of these visas... in this case, it is different.

Here, we are talking about legit, graduate uni level system being scrapped completely. It is not the same issue.
I agree its not the same and even then they gave 4 to 6 months advance notice.
Also, no body went to court challenging the decision because most of them were bogus colleges diploma.

tall_funky
BANNED

Post by tall_funky » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:18 pm

fibreman wrote:
Tier 4 wrote:

We need contribution from all students for legal expenses. Any suggestions?
How much money do we need, do we have any lawyers to assist us? I would be willing to contribute... for common goal. We can't save psw, but we can maybe get a transitionary period.
well my guess is to take this till end may be to supreme court/House Of Lords, we looking at approx. £40K to £60K.
Now, if we can contact all affected 60000 people, all we need to contribute is £1 from our own pocket.
I can volunteer for my time and effort as I'm based in London.

However, I don't think we need to collect money now. At the moment all we need is to contact all 60000 people before 31st Jan 2011 and ask everyone to join our platform and raise awareness about the injustice to us.

tall_funky
BANNED

Re: save PSW campaign

Post by tall_funky » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:30 pm

fibreman wrote: Many of us would be hit by flash decision, but have very little time to do anything and plan their future. There is hardly much u can do if your visa expires in few months...
Once you have put an application and till the time you have exhausted all your appeal rights, you are legal here and your previous visa conditions will continue.

tall_funky
BANNED

Post by tall_funky » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:46 pm

fibreman wrote:
asmi10 wrote:i feel this is what the chances should be for both student visa and Psw......if anyone feels my points are valid please write them down in the consultation.....If i have missed some thing please add on.... try as much as possible and make the students aware..some even dont know as yet abt the consultation....

Agreed, but it's a waste of time... they have already decided to close psw, that's it. Publicly, it's been said. What is the consultation for if decision is here already? Mockery... the only thing we can fight for is transitory system for those finishing already.

At best, ukba will average to see how many yes, no votes there are... they won't read all of the stories we give them.

Germany,
Australia, Canada, US and ohers have this system... graduates are fresh people with drive and potential. It is a great loss to expel them.

This whole govt is a mockery... these policies a tragedy... they are not based on any facts, but arbitrary numbers and agenda... it's apolitical thing, MAC already said they want the route to stay.
What these politicians/think tank don't understand is this: if you expel talented people you compete with those same talented people in this global village who are once expelled are not with you but against you.

for e.g UK has not produced a single Vinod Khosla or Shabir Bhatia no wonder!

tall_funky
BANNED

Post by tall_funky » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:01 pm

fahmad wrote:OMG at one moment when I read tis a few days ago I just thought like WHAT THE H***? I pay £12500 a year! Yeh that's what they make u pay in Central London. not namin the uni but yeh.

Very well said.

E-petition is a good idea. Anyone good in english plz draft the petition and we all can put our names to it.

If you can, do keep all the different country offers and printed material advertised by these people.
We need friends like you and we will fight this tooth and nail, till we win.

zee_aziz
- thin ice -

PSW

Post by zee_aziz » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:06 pm

on which date 14 weeks consultation is going to be completed?

tall_funky
BANNED

Post by tall_funky » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:11 pm

fibreman wrote:

110% agree! Like you, I also pay 12000 per year, plus livign costs... PSW was a major factor why I came here, droppign also other options. Ironically, now, other countries do offer this... while UK will talk to us.

And I agree, we don't use any services... we heavily overpay our stay here. There are atl 500 000 ilelgals in UK... nobody does anything... and now we will be expelled. We were brought here under false promises.

Lets take this to court and fight... I'm tired of being played...
Spot On!
my guess is anyone doing undergrad course would have easily spend around £60,000/- during three years.
How can you justify closing PSW to them.

tall_funky
BANNED

Re: PSW

Post by tall_funky » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:17 pm

zee_aziz wrote:on which date 14 weeks consultation is going to be completed?
Its not 14, its only 8 weeks consultation ending on 31st Jan 2011.
I think purposefully they have put this during festive season so that only few people can take part and they can get away with it.

However, this time they will not be that lucky.

fibreman

Post by fibreman » Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:34 am

tall_funky wrote:

fibreman, lets not confuse here about saving PSW. We cannot save PSW, all we asking is Transitional arrangement for everyone who started their course before 23rd Nov 2010.
We will fight till end if needed.
Exactly the point, sorry if i confused in my earlier posts... i agree there is nothing we can do to save it, but transitionary period, yes. How do you think i would feel if after more than 50k gbp, a few months before my diploma, i get the news it's closed... we were brought here with false commercial.

Planning to study abroad takes a lot of effort, maturity, money and commitment for years in life... it's not a one day decision.

Have u read the text of consultation carefully? It is suggestive... not neutral. it suggests to select-close it. it's dirty schemes here.

Heck all... if we go, we go down in style. We should gather soem successful students... achievers... so that press and others can see who this govt is driving away.

Ofc, footballers are free to come... illegals, more than half mil already are here... but bright students? driven away.

What worries me, guys, is what I do next... in this uncertainty, I have to plan for worst, and explore other countries or going back home. Many of us are even in debt because of this... severely affected.

Any ideas, how long would court take? Theoretically... I think that mba precedent might be a strong point... I think our human rights are breached also... one thing is when someone comes for a job, other things is years of commitment, money and effort for thin air promises.

fibreman

Re: PSW

Post by fibreman » Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:37 am

tall_funky wrote:
zee_aziz wrote:on which date 14 weeks consultation is going to be completed?
Its not 14, its only 8 weeks consultation ending on 31st Jan 2011.
I think purposefully they have put this during festive season so that only few people can take part and they can get away with it.

However, this time they will not be that lucky.
Exactly, my thoughts also... time is short, guys, we need to act. If we can get some mps to support us, that would be even better.

Anyone know those hsmp guys? they had this thing already... maybe they can help in organising this?

Kasun
Newly Registered

Next Steps...

Post by Kasun » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:36 am

According to the minister's letter, the current consultation is running for a 8 weeks which is rather shorter than typical 12 weeks consultation. It indicates government is going to announce changes as soon after the consultation. Although it reflect that the government has already taken some pre decisions.

That's the government side and we should not forget this is not the first time, they changed policies in a bureaucratic way. Some of the members mentioned good cases from other immigration laws,

one example is law related to Permanat Residency (Indefinite leave to remain): The government amend the law, by announcing new policy. all PR expectants need to have 5 years in a working permit (was 4 yrs at that time). It largely affect to people who only had 4 years. so they file a court case and able to win the case against government. The labour government has to change the rules once again.)

This is not directly mapped with our case, but shows that we have a legitimate case in courts. So people, let's face this. cheers!!

p.s: if anyone who's still fear about court case against government, can read this repository of cases. it's simply a right.

http://www.wikicrimeline.co.uk/index.ph ... ation_2010

I think now we need to discuss about getting further support from like minded students and preparation for fair battle to win our rights.

Last thing, hope for the best, plan for the worst. We don't have much time left, we need to be fully prepared to face for anything when the government announces the new policy.

Thanks.

luckylondon

Post by luckylondon » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:32 am

hurry up we dnt have timee...once the chrstmx brk strt thn ..we wunt have time to discuss our issue with some MPs....why not we meet with some lawer, at lest he can show us some way.....once the govrnmt took some decision...thn it wuld be harder and time consuming to go against...so better to keep transtation option...in well advance.