ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Immigration reforms and future of Tier 1 (PSW)

Archived UK Tier 1 (Post-Study Work) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

gws14l
Newly Registered

Post by gws14l » Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:10 am

I just got a reply from UKBA officer regarding to my email to them.. here is the email.

#########################################

Dear Sir

Thank you for your email. The consultation on reform of the student
immigration system opened on 7 December 2010 and will run until 31
January 2011.

One of the proposals in the document is to close the Tier 1 Post Study
Work route (see page 16 of the full consultation document), and we are
inviting views on this proposal.

No final decisions have been taken on this or any other proposal in the
document.

We are grateful for your comment that any change to Tier 1 Post Study
Work should not be applied to existing students.

The Government will announce the reforms that will be made to the
student immigration system once the consultation has closed and
responses have been analysed.

Kind regards,

Amanda
Student consultation team

################################################

At least it is a good sign that they read my email and replied it even though I don't really know whether they really put all of the responses into consideration.

anjum70

Post by anjum70 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:25 am

Please comment on this:

Probably most surprising of all would be the requirement for a student to leave the UK and apply for another visa once a course is finished if they wish to further their studies. Moreover, it will be more difficult to bring family members with you under the proposed rule changes.

That means we even for PSW we cannot apply in country or do we have to go back home countrry apply from there ?????????

tusso

Post by tusso » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:13 pm

None of it is clear, I guess we ll have to wait until the results of the consultation and the plans of the government come out... So far everything is pure speculation, so the most important thing is to be prepared to fight for transitional arrangements... Because the government just consulted on whether to close or restrict PSW, they dont even include if u have to go away of the country to apply for it...

asmi10

Post by asmi10 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:51 pm

uk education consultants in india are still bringing in uk university representatives who still are selling their college and university courses saying student will get psw visa after completion of studies....
when questioned abt the on going consulation they dont have any reply...but keep saying that their courses are world class......this is serious cheating....to the students who are planning for spetember 2011 intake....what is the fate of students who have already got visa for jan 2011 intakes...they have neither started the course nor can they ask for a refund in fees from the university now....
A letter for the universities to ukba might help....or students have to be ready with their lawyers to fight the case in court.....i wonder y hasent that home seceratory not banning those on assylum......they are welcome.....criminals with serious offence can apply for they ban to be removed.....and students are the biggest criminals......who are paying taxes...and contributing in every possible to support those people who are living in council homes,supporting the children of unwed mothers and all asslyum seekers...if ukba has its facts and numbers correct they should be reducing asslyum seekers who have out numbered the student population and who are sucking the blood of UK and international students. every fifth person in UK currently is asslyum seeker.....is that home secretory being dearly beloved and removing NON EU people while favouring criminals and asslyum seekers because they belong to EU countries.....

mist99
Newly Registered

Post by mist99 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:43 pm

asmi10 wrote:uk education consultants in india are still bringing in uk university representatives who still are selling their college and university courses saying student will get psw visa after completion of studies....
when questioned abt the on going consulation they dont have any reply...but keep saying that their courses are world class......this is serious cheating....to the students who are planning for spetember 2011 intake....what is the fate of students who have already got visa for jan 2011 intakes...they have neither started the course nor can they ask for a refund in fees from the university now....
I have spreaded the PSW news to potential students in my home contry so that they could think it over before they decide to come. I hope you guys could do the same. Some universities have informed their students of the news, such as City (http://www.city.ac.uk/studentcentre/int ... _news.html), but most haven't.

xleft
- thin ice -

Post by xleft » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:53 pm

Guys, I think we must all take active part in the consultation and ask all our friends and relatives also take part in the consultation.

I suggest that the main demands should be:

1) Long and fair transitional period for all student who are now eligible for PSW after their current course.

2) Do not implement the rule when you have to leave the country to apply for new degree. This is very inconvenient and will also hit universities very hard because almost half of their new foreign students are already residents here.

I think we should focus on these two demands or "suggestions".

You can take part in the consultation at least in three ways and I think the best is to use all of them for maximum impact:

1. On-line form:
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/stude ... ult-online

2. E-mail:
studentconsultation@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk

3. Paper form (print and send), download it here (PDF):
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... /students/

And don't forget, ask all your friends and relatives also to take part. Also ask your universities to take part (academic staff sometimes needs little stimulation).

We will win! :wink:

Tier 4
- thin ice -

Post by Tier 4 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:44 am

Keep pushing different organization like British Council, education uk, Unions, or maybe your local MPs…….. etc……….. Just to let them know we aren’t sleeping.

I made a detailed email to few authorities about our concern regarding the halt of PSW

So far I received feedback only from the Director of Scottish Universities which looks quite positive to me.

Dear *****

Thank you for your message. Universities Scotland shares your concern that the UK Government's proposals will be damaging to Scotland's interests, and to our ability to offer opportunity to talented individuals from across the world. We will be doing everything we can to seek change to the UK Government's proposals.

In the meantime, please accept my very best wishes for your continued success,

Director, Universities Scotland

Please have a word with your University/college international student advisers. Give em a wake-up buzzz :idea:
N/A

Tier 4
- thin ice -

Post by Tier 4 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:45 am

Tier 4 wrote:Keep pushing different organization like British Council, education uk, Unions, or maybe your local MPs…….. etc……….. Just to let them know we aren’t sleeping.

I made a detailed email to few authorities about our concern regarding the halt of PSW

So far I received feedback only from the Director of Scottish Universities which looks quite positive to me.

Dear *****

Thank you for your message. Universities Scotland shares your concern that the UK Government's proposals will be damaging to Scotland's interests, and to our ability to offer opportunity to talented individuals from across the world. We will be doing everything we can to seek change to the UK Government's proposals.

Please have a word with your University/college international student advisers. Give em a wake-up buzzz :idea:
N/A

fahmad

Post by fahmad » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:18 am

Tier 4 wrote:Keep pushing different organization like British Council, education uk, Unions, or maybe your local MPs…….. etc……….. Just to let them know we aren’t sleeping.

Dear *****

Universities UK also released a press release (although did not touch much on PSW but good enough)

http://www.universitiesuk.ac.uk/Newsroo ... ystem.aspx

tall_funky
BANNED

Post by tall_funky » Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:34 am

fibreman wrote:
tall_funky wrote:
fibreman wrote:Also, I would be willing to go to court if we had a strong case... we need lawyers also here. Many students are affected by this... tens of thousands.
We need to organise and push till the end if needed. However, only if there is a chance for it.

HSMP people had to fight hard and bitter for their rights... eventually, they will close the scheme for sure, though.

I fear worst, but hope for the best... I am activating many people...
fibreman, lets not confuse here about saving PSW. We cannot save PSW, all we asking is Transitional arrangement for everyone who started their course before 23rd Nov 2010.
We will fight till end if needed.
Exactly the point, sorry if i confused in my earlier posts... i agree there is nothing we can do to save it, but transitionary period, yes. How do you think i would feel if after more than 50k gbp, a few months before my diploma, i get the news it's closed... we were brought here with false commercial.

Planning to study abroad takes a lot of effort, maturity, money and commitment for years in life... it's not a one day decision.

Have u read the text of consultation carefully? It is suggestive... not neutral. it suggests to select-close it. it's dirty schemes here.

Heck all... if we go, we go down in style. We should gather soem successful students... achievers... so that press and others can see who this govt is driving away.

Ofc, footballers are free to come... illegals, more than half mil already are here... but bright students? driven away.

What worries me, guys, is what I do next... in this uncertainty, I have to plan for worst, and explore other countries or going back home. Many of us are even in debt because of this... severely affected.

Any ideas, how long would court take? Theoretically... I think that mba precedent might be a strong point... I think our human rights are breached also... one thing is when someone comes for a job, other things is years of commitment, money and effort for thin air promises.
The text of the consultation is suggestive and it has to be because govt. is clear that they want to close PSW.

There is no comparison between illegals and students and also I think its not in our interest to bring up illegals story because as it is govt. wants to expel every migrant, now obviously they can't do anything about illegals so lets kick out all the legals though somewhere in govt. everyone knows this is all political move, kicking out legals will be long term damage to UK.

Whatever may be your next move but i'm certain about one thing, if we have to go from UK without PSW, we will be termed as loser's and i'm not prepared to hear that term.
It is one thing to have an option to apply for PSW and another not to apply if we get some other better option somewhere.
So i'm not exploring any other option. All i'm trying to do is to win this and even if i don't win(chances are very slim) at least i'll be going down fighting.

If we have to go down the court route, my guess is it will take anything between 2 to 3 years before we exhaust all our appeal rights so we might end up staying 3 years rather than 2, if you want to be optimistic.

tall_funky
BANNED

Re: Next Steps...

Post by tall_funky » Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:43 am

Kasun wrote: p.s: if anyone who's still fear about court case against government, can read this repository of cases. it's simply a right.

http://www.wikicrimeline.co.uk/index.ph ... ation_2010

I think now we need to discuss about getting further support from like minded students and preparation for fair battle to win our rights.

Thanks.
Exactly, plz try to contact as many students as possible.
This game is all about numbers.
Govt. wants to reduce the numbers and if we have the required numbers, we will win.

As stated earlier in my posts if we can contact all the 60000 students (I'm assuming this number though i'm sure we are more than that), all we have to do is donate £1 each to win this.

Guy's at the moment we don't even need this money all we need is to contact these people and make them aware of the injustice.

tall_funky
BANNED

Post by tall_funky » Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:49 am

luckylondon wrote:hurry up we dnt have timee...once the chrstmx brk strt thn ..we wunt have time to discuss our issue with some MPs....why not we meet with some lawer, at lest he can show us some way.....once the govrnmt took some decision...thn it wuld be harder and time consuming to go against...so better to keep transtation option...in well advance.
I agree with you but i don't see a point for a lawyer at this point of time.
I think best way forward is to contact MPs, HSMP Guys, Few Charity Organizations who work for migrants.

tall_funky
BANNED

Post by tall_funky » Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:55 am

asmi10 wrote:uk education consultants in india are still bringing in uk university representatives who still are selling their college and university courses saying student will get psw visa after completion of studies....
A letter for the universities to ukba might help....or students have to be ready with their lawyers to fight the case in court.....i wonder y hasent that home seceratory not banning those on assylum......they are welcome.....criminals with serious offence can apply for they ban to be removed.....and students are the biggest criminals......who are paying taxes...and contributing in every possible to support those people who are living in council homes,supporting the children of unwed mothers and all asslyum seekers...if ukba has its facts and numbers correct they should be reducing asslyum seekers who have out numbered the student population and who are sucking the blood of UK and international students. every fifth person in UK currently is asslyum seeker.....is that home secretory being dearly beloved and removing NON EU people while favouring criminals and asslyum seekers because they belong to EU countries.....
Hi Asmi,
Can you get hold of those Ads in Indian newspapers. They will be really very strong arguments in the court.

tall_funky
BANNED

Post by tall_funky » Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:07 am

xleft wrote:Guys, I think we must all take active part in the consultation and ask all our friends and relatives also take part in the consultation.

1) Long and fair transitional period for all student who are now eligible for PSW after their current course.

2) Do not implement the rule when you have to leave the country to apply for new degree. This is very inconvenient and will also hit universities very hard because almost half of their new foreign students are already residents here.

You can take part in the consultation at least in three ways and I think the best is to use all of them for maximum impact:

1. On-line form:

2. E-mail:

And don't forget, ask all your friends and relatives also to take part. Also ask your universities to take part (academic staff sometimes needs little stimulation).

Very well said.
Apart from taking part in the consultation I suggest we prepare a draft letter which we can change according to our personal situation and send these letters to MPs, HomeOffice Select Committee, Home minister, PM/DPM, Vince Cable and Universities Minister.
Also, once the letter is ready we send it as a group to all of the above.

Guy's any suggestions??
Plz act fast time is running short.

tall_funky
BANNED

Post by tall_funky » Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:12 am

Dear *****

Very encouraging news indeed.
Can you post that detailed email here or on FB page so that it will act as a template for all of us.
Plz keep up the good work and i'm sure we will WIN this.

luckylondon

Post by luckylondon » Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:13 am

yes we need to try for Transitional period.....as i did found some link on ukba website...wch shows some transitional time was given to MBA student when closer of this province under Tier 1 HSMP....hers the link plz read and need to do same for PSW as well.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/worki ... nsitional/

anjum70

Post by anjum70 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:17 am

This is official statement from Home Office website :

Check Website : http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... iew=Binary

"The survey of points-based system users
asked respondents about their current employment
status. Of those in the Tier 1 Post Study Work
category who answered this question, almost onefifth
were unemployed, and only around half of
those who were employed were in a skilled or
highly skilled occupation, which is disappointing
for a graduates-only route. The Higher Education
Careers Services Unit published their annual report
in November 2010 which showed that graduate
unemployment has risen to its highest level for 17
years. There is a risk that the Post Study Work route
is adding to this problem.
"

I believe they will close all applicants at present and future Any Comments On that ??????????????

Thanks

Blackwater1

Post by Blackwater1 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:09 pm

An e-petition can be a good option,peaceful protests at westminster can raise your voice in media.Brace yourself financially if you want to challenge in courts.Ultimately a question arises that after spending so much time/money,would you still be able to stay in this country or no!!!If the answer is no,then do not waste a single penny/second on these and look for a better option somewhere else.

xleft
- thin ice -

Post by xleft » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:43 pm

tall_funky wrote:
xleft wrote:Guys, I think we must all take active part in the consultation and ask all our friends and relatives also take part in the consultation.

1. On-line form:

2. E-mail:

Very well said.
Apart from taking part in the consultation I suggest we prepare a draft letter which we can change according to our personal situation and send these letters to MPs, HomeOffice Select Committee, Home minister, PM/DPM, Vince Cable and Universities Minister.
Also, once the letter is ready we send it as a group to all of the above.

Guy's any suggestions??
Plz act fast time is running short.
If you or someone could gather postal addresses where to send letters and post here, it would be great. Several first class stamps are worth it after paying overseas tuition fees. :idea:

asmi10

Post by asmi10 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:04 pm

[quote="tall_funky"][quote="asmi10"]uk education consultants in india are still bringing in uk university representatives who still are selling their college and university courses saying student will get psw visa after completion of studies....
A letter for the universities to ukba might help....or students have to be ready with their lawyers to fight the case in court.....i wonder y hasent that home seceratory not banning those on assylum......they are welcome.....criminals with serious offence can apply for they ban to be removed.....and students are the biggest criminals......who are paying taxes...and contributing in every possible to support those people who are living in council homes,supporting the children of unwed mothers and all asslyum seekers...if ukba has its facts and numbers correct they should be reducing asslyum seekers who have out numbered the student population and who are sucking the blood of UK and international students. every fifth person in UK currently is asslyum seeker.....is that home secretory being dearly beloved and removing NON EU people while favouring criminals and asslyum seekers because they belong to EU countries.....[/quote]

Hi Asmi,
Can you get hold of those Ads in Indian newspapers. They will be really very strong arguments in the court.[/quote]

sure the ads are from education consultants.......i will keep them..all the ads after 7th december that is....

asmi10

Post by asmi10 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:17 pm

The survey of points-based system users
asked respondents about their current employment
status. Of those in the Tier 1 Post Study Work
category who answered this question, almost onefifth
were unemployed, and only around half of
those who were employed were in a skilled or
highly skilled occupation, which is disappointing
for a graduates-only route. The Higher Education
is adding to this problem."

that is very true that unemployement rate is high but that is because PSW is also given to people who apply from out side uk.......and they have had a work experience in their country of origin so they take up skilled jobs in uk......
PSW should be granted to students who are in uk on a student visa.....no psw out of country applications should be accepetd....
in fact all out of country psw applications should be stopped.....that will only help fresh graduates from uk universities gain a good skilled job in uk on a psw visa........instead of telling the ukba to stop removal of psw completely we should also advice them that out of country psw applications should be stopped......

mist99
Newly Registered

Post by mist99 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:34 pm

asmi10 wrote: PSW should be granted to students who are in uk on a student visa.....no psw out of country applications should be accepetd....
in fact all out of country psw applications should be stopped.....that will only help fresh graduates from uk universities gain a good skilled job in uk on a psw visa........instead of telling the ukba to stop removal of psw completely we should also advice them that out of country psw applications should be stopped......
Nope. We should demand transitional arrangements for students who were qualified before the new policy, this is based on the principle of fairness. If we don't stand by this principle, how are we going to defend our rights?

fibreman

Post by fibreman » Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:34 pm

tall_funky wrote: All i'm trying to do is to win this and even if i don't win(chances are very slim) at least i'll be going down fighting.

If we have to go down the court route, my guess is it will take anything between 2 to 3 years before we exhaust all our appeal rights so we might end up staying 3 years rather than 2, if you want to be optimistic.
OK, I'm all with you and am pushing others to act also... ofc we don't want to be losers. However, I graduate in July, so for me, it is questionable whether I have years left to fight for this. However, note that I am with you 110%.

Any other estimations on how long this could take at best?

fibreman

Post by fibreman » Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:35 pm

luckylondon wrote:yes we need to try for Transitional period.....as i did found some link on ukba website...wch shows some transitional time was given to MBA student when closer of this province under Tier 1 HSMP....hers the link plz read and need to do same for PSW as well.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/worki ... nsitional/
Yes, this is a precedent case... based on this, we can have a strong argument.

fibreman

Post by fibreman » Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:39 pm

anjum70 wrote:he Higher Education
is adding to this problem.[/b]"

I believe they will close all applicants at present and future Any Comments On that ??????????????

Thanks
This is the point... it's a LIE! MAC clearly said... "there is no evidence that PSW displaces local graduates..." "we rec to keep psw open..." Note here, THERE IS NO EVIDENCE... that's what experts say. Govt is twisting this fact to make people respond "close it down"...