ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Passport and visa question

Archived UK Tier 1 (Post-Study Work) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

sadhu

Passport and visa question

Post by sadhu » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:11 am

Hello,

I have made new passport as my old passport is going to expire in June,2011. However, the psw visa stamp (uk), which is valid until July,2011, is still in my old passport.My old passport has been cancelled and there is a note on my new passport that my old passport has been returned because it has got valid UK visa.I have stapled both passport.

Please tell me, is it mandatory to transfer the visa from old passport to the new passport in order to travel to India?

Many thanks.

Sadhu.

janedoe
Newly Registered

Post by janedoe » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:53 am

I had my three year student visa in my old/expired passport. All I did whenever I left the country was to make sure I have both my passports with me and I never faced any trouble.
Regards

sadhu

Post by sadhu » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:20 pm

janedoe wrote:I had my three year student visa in my old/expired passport. All I did whenever I left the country was to make sure I have both my passports with me and I never faced any trouble.
Regards
Thanks for the reply.But did you find any problem when you were returning to the UK from India or your home country?

janedoe
Newly Registered

Post by janedoe » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:28 am

Well that's really what I meant. They don't check your visa when you are leaving the country now do they! Whenever I came back, I showed my current passport as my valid passport for travel and then they checked the expired one for my visa.

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:15 am

Transferring your visa to a new passport wrote:You do not need to transfer your residence permit to your new passport. If you choose not to transfer your permit, you should carry both your old and new passports when you travel to the UK - this will prove to our immigration officers that you have the right to be in the UK. If you cannot produce your residence permit when you arrive at our border, you may not be allowed to enter the country.
Is it possible to transfer a visa from an expired passport wrote:This is not normally necessary and will attract a fee. Instead you should travel with both passports which should be shown to an Immigration Officer on arrival in the UK.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

sadhu

Post by sadhu » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:42 am

Thanks to Vinny and Janedeo.