ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Entry Clearance (EC) approval process and feedback

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Cosmopol
Member of Standing

Entry Clearance (EC) approval process and feedback

Post by Cosmopol » Wed Jun 02, 2004 8:31 pm

:idea:
Dear Board visitors,

The questions regarding EC interview preparation and approval process are coming up repeatedly, and while this is an important part of moving to the UK, it's not an easy FAQ to answer once and for all - the practice of EC approval and granting it or not is often driven by local factors.

We open this sticky topic to collect the variety of individual and locally-similar feedback on the process and encourage anyone who was approved or rejected for the EC to share their stories with whatever amount of details you feel is appropriate.

Thanks in advance,

The moderators.

Cosmopol
Member of Standing

Post by Cosmopol » Thu Jun 03, 2004 4:38 pm

from an earlier post by dokwal:

Dear Friends

Today I gave interview to EC officer, almost 25 questions were asked from salary, fund , job in hand , how u applied to hsmp , family , future programe, resignaton of present job , date of travelling , accomdation , details about previous visits etc.

there requirements were and i provided

1. Passport validity Vald till 2012

2. VAF Form completed with all required details

3. employers NOC Provided

4. HSMP lette given

5. fees RIAL OMANI 56.3

6. Bank statements Last six months

I draw a gross salary RO 800 PM (1 RO =2.6 US$)

Avalability of fund RO 6500 (GBP 9500 ) for self

after interview EC told me that THEY write to HO
and infor me by end of week .

what next ?

pl reply as i have given a real situation to u all

rgds

LA_Mike

Post by LA_Mike » Thu Jun 03, 2004 8:11 pm

I had my EC interview this morning in Los Angeles.

I arrived at 8:50 and had an interview at 10:30. There were approximately 10 people ahead of me in line when I arrived. I would recommend arriving a bit before 8:30 if you can since the room fills up quickly. There is visitor parking under the consulate office building, enter from Stoner avenue off of Wilshire.

My interview took about 5-10 minutes. The officer asked for my application (with pictures) and passport first, then the HSMP letter which she looked at and gave back, since I had a copy of it which she took for processing. (There's a sign saying that they want copies of all documents, there is a copier in the room that takes change only $0.10 a page and a there is a kinkos across the street)

She then looked at the application and asked me some questions about it. I had put in "indefinitely" for the length of planned stay in UK. She said I wasn't allowed to say this since the HSMP was only for a year, that I was supposed to put in "one year"... which I found odd since on the HSMP application you have to say that you intend to make the UK your main home... anyway my verbal explanation was fine, I didn't have to correct the form.

She asked for my citizenship (US) looked at my passport (and my previous, expired passport, which I had brought as requested) and checked the entry stamps and document numbers in them. She asked me about my previous travel to UK (I had put the date down wrong on the VAF1). Then gave back my expired passport, and kept the current passport.

She then asked for bank statements, which I handed over. I don't get paper statements from my bank so I printed out the online statements and had a bank teller stamp and sign them. This seemed fine since she didn't comment on it.

She then asked when I planned to enter the UK (17 June) and set that as the starting date on the EC. She asked me if it was possible that I would want to enter before then because I wouldn't be able to enter until that date.

She then bundled up the documentation, made some notes on the final page of the VAF1, and send me over to the cashier for payment (I paid with a bank check made payable to "British Consulate General" in the amount of $143. They also accept cash and visa/mastercard but not personal checks). I waited 5 minutes for the cashier.

The pickup time for the passport is 2PM (2 hours from now!).

I brought, but they did not ask for:
A letter of accomodation from my friend in London
Details of the post which I am most likely to take when I land
Travel itinerary
Proof of current employment and income
Budget for next 12 months
Last edited by LA_Mike on Fri Jun 04, 2004 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

noddy214

Post by noddy214 » Fri Jun 04, 2004 7:18 am

LA Mike,

Can you share the content of the letter your friend sent for accomodation??? Did you carry all the other documents such proof of your friend's earning, Accomodation Lease/Ownership documents, etc....

Thanks,
Noddy

LA_Mike

Post by LA_Mike » Fri Jun 04, 2004 3:31 pm

The accomodation letter (which I did include in the original HSMP application but was not asked to show for the EC interview) says:

To Whom it May Concern:

Michael C___ will be residing with me at:

8 H____ W_____
London E3 ____

from the time of his entry into England until he moves into his own flat.

Sincerely,

C_______ C________

Note: I did put my friend's name and telephone number in section 6 of the VAF1. I didn't carry any other documents regarding my accomodation. I showed £9,000 in the bank statements and have no dependents. This was apparently more than sufficient.

If it's easy for you to get other documents, then by all means bring them with you, but I would recommend giving the officer just the ones which he or she asks for.

guest 000

EC

Post by guest 000 » Fri Jun 04, 2004 5:55 pm

Hi Mike,
Congrats on Ur EC. I am very happy for U. I would like to know how many years was stamped on your paasport as it has been observed that some pple claim to have been issued an initial 2year entry clearance visa.

LA_Mike

Post by LA_Mike » Fri Jun 04, 2004 5:57 pm

1 year, starting 17 June 2004, expires 17 June 2005

helix
Newly Registered

Post by helix » Fri Jun 04, 2004 8:45 pm

hi Mike,

congrats that u make it. Will you please tell me, A letter of accomodation from a friend is enough or some other documents also needs in support of letter ?

LA_Mike

Post by LA_Mike » Fri Jun 04, 2004 9:13 pm

What is enough is going to vary from location to location and from interviewer to interviewer. As I noted, in my case I filled out the VAF1 and included in there the requested details about where I'd be staying. I brought along the accomodation letter and some additional documentation not related to accomodation but did not show them to the interviewer because she didn't ask for them. The only documents I handed over are noted above.

I would recommend calling the consulate where you will be giving your EC interview to ask them about local guidelines.

bj
Newly Registered

Post by bj » Sat Jun 05, 2004 5:53 am

La_Mike

Thank you very much for your update. I wanted some information about the bank statement. You have showed 9000 GBP. Do you have to show that you have been holding this money since six months ? Or is it OK if we deposit the money a week or so prior to application and take the bank statement.

I will be highly obliged for your input.

Thanks in advance

LA_Mike

Post by LA_Mike » Sat Jun 05, 2004 6:03 am

I took 3 months of bank statements as requested. My bank statements showed £9000 for this month and £4000 the previous two months. The officer didn't ask any questions regarding the statements.

bj
Newly Registered

Post by bj » Mon Jun 07, 2004 1:29 pm

La_Mike

Thank you very much for your immediate response.

BJ

Cosmopol
Member of Standing

Post by Cosmopol » Tue Jun 08, 2004 5:02 pm

LA_Mike,
Thanks for such a detailed feedback; hope this lead will be followed by others.

Cosmopol
Member of Standing

Post by Cosmopol » Tue Jun 08, 2004 5:03 pm

originally posted here by kuog:

I got my EC I made an in person application.
Submitted the following documents:
1. 2 VAF1 forms (myself and spouse)
2. Cash $143
3. Original HSMP approval letter
4. Hotel reservation for 2 weeks as proof of accommodation
5. Travel reservation
6. Original marriage certificate
7. Bank account statements for the past 3 months
8. Joint savings account statement
9. Credit card statements
10. Passports
11. photocopies of alloriginals that need to be returned

Hope this helps and wish you good luck.
Regards
Kuog.

Cosmopol
Member of Standing

Post by Cosmopol » Tue Jun 08, 2004 5:24 pm

originally posted here by k_baskaran70:

Along with the application form VAF1-2003, 2 photos, bank statements for 11 K Euro, marriage certificate and a invitation letter from my friend.

They just asked me from when i want the visa and issued accordingly for one year on the same day.

Hope this helps

Cosmopol
Member of Standing

Post by Cosmopol » Tue Jun 08, 2004 5:26 pm

originally posted here by Vayu:

Just to let people know how its done in OZ as I know it can be done differently elsewhere....

Just spoke to the EC lady at the UK high commission in Canberra. She informed me that I can delay my entry date into the UK up to 3 months after the date I apply for the EC.

I specifically asked the hypothetical question, does this mean an applicant can get HSMP approval, wait till the last week of the letters validity, and then apply to enter 3 months after that date. EC officer responded that was possible.

All in all though, she told me that I have to enter the UK within 6 months of the date of my letter being approved. So thats the catch if you want to call it that.

Funds-wise, she told me that $3000 to $4000AUD was sufficent, especially if I could prove I was staying with friends when I first arrived, and that this could be in the form of managed funds etc.

Cosmopol
Member of Standing

Post by Cosmopol » Tue Jun 08, 2004 5:29 pm

originally posted here by NationOne:

I went for my EC today in Bangalore, India. Some of the regulations took me by surprise.

1. They do not accept Bank Balance Certificates for proof of funds. Instead they expect a passbook, or transaction history for the past 6 months, or fixed deposit certificates.

2. Photographs should have a white background. They sent back all those applicants whose photos had colored backgrounds.

3. You are expected to land in the UK within 90 days of the Visa's date of issue. This applies for your dependants too. So my plan - of doing the EC for my dependants now and then expecting them to join me 6 months later - did not work.

Cosmopol
Member of Standing

Post by Cosmopol » Fri Jun 11, 2004 5:30 pm

I have detached a couple of posted questions from the end of this thread and posted them as separate topics with the purpose of using this thread primarily for EC stories and feedback rather than for questions and discussions: otherwise it may grow into an unwieldy forum of its own. Please use the appropriate froums for most questions, unless they directly relate to a story or feedback that is posted in this thread. Authors of the posts that were split may wish to edit the content to make the question(s) more understandable now that they are out of context of this thread. Thanks for your understanding.

Mini
Member of Standing

Post by Mini » Mon Jun 14, 2004 9:52 am

Following is link to the :

IMMIGRATION DIRECTORATES' INSTRUCTIONS
GENERAL GROUNDS FOR THE REFUSAL OF ENTRY CLEARANCE,
LEAVE TO ENTER OR VARIATION OF LEAVE TO ENTER OR REMAIN

http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/default.asp?pageid=743

Interesting info if one needs to contest a decision.
Mini

Vayu

Post by Vayu » Tue Jun 15, 2004 12:58 am

well,

got up early this morning and was 3rd in line. I walked into the UK high commission in canberra this morning armed with:

- HSMP approval letter (under 28)
- $6000 AUD proof of funds
- A letter from my friends saying they'd let me stay
- A completed application form.

The grouchy lady at the counter glanced through everything, ticked all the boxes she had to tick. She asked me when I wanted to enter the UK, I said 3 months from now (mid september).

She then told me to go pay $195 AUD and come back and pick up my visa at midday, which I will do.

So that was that.

Apart from the grouchy lady at the counter, all very smooth and pleasant and took less that 20 minutes.

Cosmopol
Member of Standing

Post by Cosmopol » Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:27 am

Thanks and congratulations! Once you pick up your visa, would you confirm that they post-dated it as you requested.

Vayu

Post by Vayu » Tue Jun 15, 2004 5:19 am

Got the visa in my passport postdated till the 15th of September, as requested. They were unable to give me any more that 3 months.

All in all, I have delayed my entry by 6 months given my original letter was approved mid March. This is helpful as I still have study committments here in OZ.

Also interestingly, this next point will be useful for those like myself, who want to go over to check things out, but have to return home to finalise the move over.

I can confirm after asking two seperate EC officers, I am actually able to travel to the UK prior to my HSMP clock starts "ticking", if it is only for social/holiday/non work purposes. I must leave the country before September 15th though. Proof of a valid return ticket will be required.

So now I can go ahead with my planned holiday to "check things out" in early July and be stamped in at Heathrow as a tourist, even though I already have a physical HSMP in my Australian passport.

MUGHAL
Mood:
United Kingdom

ec interview

Post by MUGHAL » Sun Jun 20, 2004 7:00 pm

dear sirs,
on 16 june 04, my friend experienced a EC interview in islamabad (pak) but unfortunately eco refused his case without any geniun reason.
elegations were as under:-
1 due to less knowledge of english
2 less experience for the job
3 applying for his children
(on the other hand even he did not apply for
his children)
now a days they (ecos) are refusing often the cases for hsmp, may they be guided well by their seniors.

potinenir
Newly Registered

Post by potinenir » Tue Jun 29, 2004 3:34 pm

Hi,
I applied for EC at the NewYork embassy. I used the fast track online system,filled the form, printed it and posted it along with my passport and the required supporting documents on June 17th-04.I received an email today stating that the visa has been granted and my passport is in the mail and i will be receiving it tomorrow. The whole process thru the post took approx. 2weeks. I requested the starting date to be 20-SEP-04. I'll update with further details after i receive my passport.
Thanks,
Rajp.

(i copied the above post from another thread)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,

I received my passport thru FedEx this morning. The passport was stamped with a start date of 19-09-2004(I think this is because the embassy started processing my application on June19th and the max time allowed is 3 months from the date the embassy starts processing the application). So with the given advantages i used the 3months period to apply for the EC(HSMP letter was dated as of March 25th),another three months for the start date(19th sep) .I finally succeeded in getting another 3 months to finalize my things here in USA before i land in UK. The other point to be mentioned here is the EC on my passport is valid for ONE year only. Maybe I wasn't lucky to get the TWO year validity.
Thanks once again to all the members on this forum for their wonderful guidance and good wishes.

Thanks,
Rajp.

Cosmopol
Member of Standing

Post by Cosmopol » Fri Jul 02, 2004 4:58 pm

Mini, I split your question into its own topic, so it attracts more attention.