ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

"registered as self employed"

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

nafe12

"registered as self employed"

Post by nafe12 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:44 am

I am employed in the UK, but I also did a small contract on the side for about £2k.

On the policy guidance it states that you should be registered as self-employed.

Just wondering what this actually means? Once I earned the money, I contacted the tax office who adjusted my tax code (to reflect the tax on the earnings) - and sent me a letter as evidence of this. I have invoices etc.

But I'm not sure I'm registered, per se.

Unfortuantely, I need to count these earnings for my app.

blue.olive

Re: "registered as self employed"

Post by blue.olive » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:59 am

nafe12 wrote:I am employed in the UK, but I also did a small contract on the side for about £2k.

On the policy guidance it states that you should be registered as self-employed.

Just wondering what this actually means? Once I earned the money, I contacted the tax office who adjusted my tax code (to reflect the tax on the earnings) - and sent me a letter as evidence of this. I have invoices etc.

But I'm not sure I'm registered, per se.

Unfortuantely, I need to count these earnings for my app.
When you start working as Self Employed person, you need to get urself registered with HMRC within 28 days, adjustment in tax code is way to pay off your tax obligation.

HO required your registration with HMRC, if you want to claim your self employment income and now HO required applicant to send NI Class 2 contribution payment proof or Direct debit arrangment with bank confirming the same.

Just go to www.hmrc.gov.uk and look at the section self employment and it will give all details about how to registered as Self employed.

Good luck
Regards
Olive

shyamanand

hi blue olive

Post by shyamanand » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:43 pm

hi friend,

HO required your registration with HMRC, if you want to claim your self employment income and now HO required applicant to send NI Class 2 contribution payment proof or Direct debit arrangment with bank confirming the same.

If you are self employed do you still need this class 2NI contribution and what is this direct debit all about. Is that your salary/ earning from self employment should come direct debit. Dirct debit includes cheques and internet bank transfer right? This is bit difficult for me to understand , could you able to explain. thanks is advance.

Sushil-ACCA
Diamond Member

Re: hi blue olive

Post by Sushil-ACCA » Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:52 pm

shyamanand wrote:hi friend,

If you are self employed do you still need this class 2NI contribution and what is this direct debit all about. Is that your salary/ earning from self employment should come direct debit. Dirct debit includes cheques and internet bank transfer right? This is bit difficult for me to understand , could you able to explain. thanks is advance.
no one can work in ths country without informing HMRC

IF YOU R employed than yr employer informs it through p45 or p46

if u r self employed than u have to inform to hmrc and hmrc charges aroun £120 pa for this permission unless u have a limited company

regards
CDOKS

blue.olive

Re: hi blue olive

Post by blue.olive » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:01 am

shyamanand wrote:hi friend,

Class 2 NI contribution is applicable on self employed persons @ £2.50 per week and you can cancel that any time when you stop working as self employee.
But you will still be liable to file your tax return if you earned any income during that tax period/year.

Direct Debit
You can make the payment to HMRC via direct debit or by BGC at the counter of post office or bank.
This direct debit has nothing to do with, how you receive your income/salary/payment from customers, which is a totally different matter.

My understanding about Direct Debit is that you are authorising the payee to directly debit your account with the amount you are liable to pay. Like your mobile company setup a direct debit on your account with your permission.
Good luck
Olive

shyamanand

hi friends

Post by shyamanand » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:51 am

hi blue olive n sushil,

thanks very much for advise. i have applied my for my class 2 NI now. another doubt my class 2 NI documents reaching me before UTR. If I produce this class 2 NI, will my application still be considered. plz advice guys. thanks in adv.

blue.olive

Re: hi friends

Post by blue.olive » Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:54 am

shyamanand wrote:hi blue olive n sushil,

thanks very much for advise. i have applied my for my class 2 NI now. another doubt my class 2 NI documents reaching me before UTR. If I produce this class 2 NI, will my application still be considered. plz advice guys. thanks in adv.
No you need to have you UTR number ( Self employment Registration) , if you got your Class 2 NI documents, call the HMRC and ask for your UTR number, if you request them, they might send you the letter via fax.

goldfish
Member of Standing

Post by goldfish » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:56 am

If you call HMRC and ask for a letter stating your UTR then will send you one. Mine took about a week to arrive but might be a little longer at the moment due to snow & holidays.