ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

5 years for ILR rule implemented

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

pumkin

Post by pumkin » Wed May 17, 2006 1:15 pm

I think emphasis needs to be put on the fact that, if they want to push ahead with this, the LEAST they can do is extend the visas already issued for the 4 year period, for FREE !!! :x[/quote]
I have to pay 335x2=£670 as my kid is over 18 now. Well, it's quite of money for anyone. My laptop is almost half the price of it :) I agree, they should've given extensions for free. It is not our fault that the rules have changed...[/quote]

The Home Office is entitled to change the rules, however, it should be for new visas only, Not those already issued.

In a way, those who are here legally are being 'blackmailed' and forced into paying the extra money. The HO see a quick income path and attack, We don't have a choice unless we want to pack up and leave. They know this. It is blatent 'criminal' extortion. This wouldn't be allowed in other circles, but they have worked up such a media feeding frenzy regarding illegals, that there is no chance of legal immigrants receiving any positive assistance as such.

olisun
Diamond Member

Post by olisun » Wed May 17, 2006 1:24 pm

nonothing wrote:the HO shows the tame face to the illegal immigrants and shows the tough face to legal immigrants. what a government.
It' simple, the illegal immigrants can't take up any highly paid jobs and the locals don't want to do cheap labour... and in the end the illegals have to survive somehow... so...

tvt

Post by tvt » Wed May 17, 2006 1:39 pm

olisun wrote:
nonothing wrote:the HO shows the tame face to the illegal immigrants and shows the tough face to legal immigrants. what a government.
It' simple, the illegal immigrants can't take up any highly paid jobs and the locals don't want to do cheap labour... and in the end the illegals have to survive somehow... so...
Illegals can do any job they like; they just need to buy an EU passport for £500.
-----------------------------------
<<<N. N. - G. N.>>>

cantab
Newly Registered

Post by cantab » Wed May 17, 2006 1:44 pm

i will repeat myself and say that the home office would almost certainly lose a case in court... but someone has to bring it! i have 1.5 years left under the old rules...

olisun
Diamond Member

Post by olisun » Wed May 17, 2006 1:53 pm

tvt wrote:
olisun wrote:
Illegals can do any job they like; they just need to buy an EU passport for £500.
If it was that easy to get an EU passport for £500 then the EU (UK) would have been flooded with loads of illegal immigrants making it difficult even to walk on the road.. :D

tvt

Post by tvt » Wed May 17, 2006 1:54 pm

olisun wrote: If it was that easy to get an EU passport for £500 then the EU (UK) would have been flooded with loads of illegal immigrants making it difficult even to walk on the road.. :D
It's easy and indeed the roads are flooded.
<<<N. N. - G. N.>>>

tvt

Post by tvt » Wed May 17, 2006 2:05 pm

Until the UK introduces ID cards it has an inherent identification problem.
<<<N. N. - G. N.>>>

sowhat

Post by sowhat » Wed May 17, 2006 2:12 pm

indian_in_uk wrote:
motorbyke wrote:Whats the fuss about 5 years?
The UK government is perfectly justified in changing the immigration rules.
Check this:

MY ILR was due on 4th July'06 but because of these change in rules I have to wait for another year and this has cost me in a big way.

I had an interview with a big consultancy, everything went fine, after a number of rounds of interview, they said they are ready to recruit me but they cant because I am on HSMP and dnt have ILR. The lady said I should contact her When I get my ILR and I will be offered a position.
Now, has this been 4 years rule, I would have been working with prestigious consultancy within two months but now because of their stupid policy I am stripped off from a excellent oppertunity.

This is the kind of hard ship people face because of change in these rules and this is what this FUSS is about. Now justify this....
Frankly speaking if you are on HSMP I do not understand why they did not recruited you. WP is different as it has its limitations but HSMP is a good working visa without any conditions. Nobody has ever mentioned my HSMP visa as an obstacle for recruitment. Big consultancies know it very well. Maybe your prospective employer misunderstood your visa status?

aj77

Post by aj77 » Wed May 17, 2006 2:21 pm

They are worried about overstayers.The crime of overstayers is that they did not fulfill the promise of leaving the country if their application for extentions gets rejected or they are staying more than the limit,HO allowed them to stay.So their fault is that they did not fulfil the promise they made which HO while entering the Country.
But on the other side Leaders and HO are doing the same too, they made legal committments with one of our affected group(HSMP applicants) and they are also not interested in fulfilling the committments they made.Whatever the examples leaders and HO will set, the rest will follow them.If they can break the promise they should not expect from others too.

Look at the promises they made with us while we were entering the country.

24.9 Q: What if the scheme changes?

A: As with any immigration scheme we reserve the right to adapt some of the criteria or documentation associated
with the scheme and will inform you via our websites of any such changes. All applications will be treated on the
basis of the HSMP provisions at the time that they were submitted.

24.10 Q: I have already applied successfully under HSMP. How does the revised HSMP affect me?

A: Not at all. It is important to note that once you have entered under the programme you are in a category that has
an avenue to settlement. Those who have already entered under HSMP will be allowed to stay and apply for
settlement after four years qualifying residence regardless of these revisions to HSMP

26.5 Q: How long can I stay in the UK if I enter as a skilled migrant?

A: You will initially be given 12 months stay. If you want to remain in the UK under the HSMP, you should apply for
an extension of your stay in the last month before the expiry of your permission to stay in the UK. For further
information, please see “Extension of stay in the United Kingdom” section. You will be able to amalgamate leave
in other categories that lead to settlement for example, please see “Extension of stay in the United Kingdom
section.” towards the end of that period you can apply to remain in the same capacity for a further period of up
to three years.
After four years in the UK as a highly skilled migrant you can apply for settlement. The main criteria for
settlement will be that you have spent a continuous period of four years in the UK (except for trips abroad of
three months or less, totalling less than six months in the four year period) in a category leading to settlement
and that you continue to be economically active in the UK as a highly skilled migrant.

HO can't say anything to illegal immigrants as both HO and overstayers are on the same boat now

indian_in_uk

Post by indian_in_uk » Wed May 17, 2006 2:46 pm

sowhat wrote:
indian_in_uk wrote:
Check this:

MY ILR was due on 4th July'06 but because of these change in rules I have to wait for another year and this has cost me in a big way.

I had an interview with a big consultancy, everything went fine, after a number of rounds of interview, they said they are ready to recruit me but they cant because I am on HSMP and dnt have ILR. The lady said I should contact her When I get my ILR and I will be offered a position.
Now, has this been 4 years rule, I would have been working with prestigious consultancy within two months but now because of their stupid policy I am stripped off from a excellent oppertunity.

This is the kind of hard ship people face because of change in these rules and this is what this FUSS is about. Now justify this....
Frankly speaking if you are on HSMP I do not understand why they did not recruited you. WP is different as it has its limitations but HSMP is a good working visa without any conditions. Nobody has ever mentioned my HSMP visa as an obstacle for recruitment. Big consultancies know it very well. Maybe your prospective employer misunderstood your visa status?
No They did not mis-understood the visa status, I was under the same impression but I have discussed with their HR atleast 10 times now but they do not recruit people on HSMP.
Try Accenture, Halifax Bank of Scotland, Logica CMG etc.. for permanent jobs they do not recruit HSMP people. I was told this by Halifax bank of Scotland, Logica CMG and Accenture.
I'd rather be a could-be if I cannot be an are; because a could-be is a maybe who is reaching for a star.

nonothing

Post by nonothing » Wed May 17, 2006 3:50 pm

VBSI on BBC

Article "Against Unfair Retrospective Immigration Rules" by a VBSI member has been posted on the BBC website.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/actionnetwork/ ... ad=3000923

Please add your comment on it.

Last edited by nonothing on Wed May 17, 2006 4:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sowhat

Post by sowhat » Wed May 17, 2006 3:54 pm

indian_in_uk wrote:
sowhat wrote:
indian_in_uk wrote:
Check this:

No They did not mis-understood the visa status, I was under the same impression but I have discussed with their HR atleast 10 times now but they do not recruit people on HSMP.
Try Accenture, Halifax Bank of Scotland, Logica CMG etc.. for permanent jobs they do not recruit HSMP people. I was told this by Halifax bank of Scotland, Logica CMG and Accenture.
I am really surprised especially by Accenture.

indian_in_uk

Post by indian_in_uk » Wed May 17, 2006 4:12 pm

sowhat wrote:
indian_in_uk wrote:
sowhat wrote:
indian_in_uk wrote:
Check this:

I am really surprised especially by Accenture.
and I was selected by Accenture
I'd rather be a could-be if I cannot be an are; because a could-be is a maybe who is reaching for a star.

supertiger

Post by supertiger » Wed May 17, 2006 4:16 pm

I enquired Accenture recruitment team reagarding the visa some months ago and by chance still keep their reply in my Inbox. I was too lasy to apply in the end so cannot imagine their real attitude towards WP...

It does mention " indefinite" but Indian-in-UK, did you apply for graduate programme or experienced position? The latter should be ok from the email I received...

Thank you for your e-mail and interest in Accenture. If you would like to
apply to the Graduate programme you would, as it states on the website,
have to be in a position to work in the UK indefinitely and without
restriction.

Applicants to some Experienced Hire positions, however, do not always
require a work permit, determined by the level of skills offered. If the
Experienced Hire candidate is successful the matter of a work permit would
be discussed with the recruitment team at that stage.

Kind Regards

Kathy
Recruitment Administrator

indian_in_uk

Post by indian_in_uk » Wed May 17, 2006 4:24 pm

The position was for experienced hire.

The reply I got from them is below:

Hi,

Further to your e-mail below and the conversation we had last week, I
have spoken to someone else regarding this and there is still nothing we
can do. The policy stands and we do not accept HSMP visas.

If you do receive indefinite right to work in the UK in the next few
months please do contact me.

Kind regards

sowhat

Post by sowhat » Wed May 17, 2006 4:47 pm

indian_in_uk wrote:The position was for experienced hire.

Hi,

Kind regards
it's news for me. They have never had any problem with making work permits for their hires. HSMP makes even easier for them. Still...

indian_in_uk

Post by indian_in_uk » Wed May 17, 2006 4:58 pm

sowhat wrote:
indian_in_uk wrote:The position was for experienced hire.

Hi,

Kind regards
it's news for me. They have never had any problem with making work permits for their hires. HSMP makes even easier for them. Still...
They do not sponser Work permits, this is what they told me last year as I was on WP and needed a WP transfer.

morerightsformigrants

Post by morerightsformigrants » Wed May 17, 2006 11:38 pm

as we have said before we think HO has the power to change the rules whenever they like but they should not do it retrospectively...... tony MCnulty was interviewed today on tv by itv news and he's blaming michael howard for the mess in the HO regarding illegal immigrants... come on they have been on power for almost 10 years how can they possibly deny their responsabilities although i have to say it doesn't surprise me but all they have done so far it's to come up with stupid laws that only affect law-abiding immigrants, tony even mention the 5 years stragedy as a solution to illegal immigrants , can you guys believe this..... i think he needs some english lessons he doesn't know what illegal immigrants, asylum seekers means... and what law-abiding legal immigrants means. because all they have shown so far is toughness towards the latter.

Hidden dragon

Re: Latest letter from the Home Office

Post by Hidden dragon » Thu May 18, 2006 12:52 am

RobinLondon wrote:
I don't know how I'm going to proceed at this point. I'm just providing this information to all of you here to see what we're facing. The Home Office have an answer for everything and are able to twist ink to say what they want it to say in opposition to reality. I need to think about what I'm going to do next, if anything.

Best,

R
Robin,

I think you can consider to contact journalists. They will love your story. "Legal Immigrants Made Scapegoats".

The other thing is you could try to contact ex pat associations such as http://www.theamericanhour.com/ and http://www.focus-info.org/ and see if they can help you.

I think the HO is stupid not to be flexible on your case and it is digging its own tomb.

On the other hand, don't forget they have the power to make decisions on a case-to-case basis. The reason they don't want to be flexible is because THEY ARE AFRAID.

However, the further it goes like this, the heavier it will fall. Nobody can use a lie to cover another lie.
Trust and value ourselves, because we deserve it!

Globetrotter

Post by Globetrotter » Thu May 18, 2006 8:06 am

supertiger wrote:HO website should be easier accessible at late night.

Nonothing, if you want to analyse the extra cost, you may need to be careful as gaining extra income is not the main purpose of this change, but only a byproduct. So if in the near future, any of our lobbying works HO's compromise will start from the lightest ones, Let's say: exempt the extra hundreds pounds of cost to show their kindness for example... But that apparently is not what we want. So I think you can certainly criticise the raising of cost but maybe better not to make it a target...
Accessibility to the HO website is far below industry standard to put it politely. Perhaps if they got some HSMPs to analyze and do a re-fit the site would actually function properly. The local talent is not up to par….

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

GT

Globetrotter

Post by Globetrotter » Thu May 18, 2006 8:56 am

Mr. Tony "the tough guy" McNulty on legal immigrants

"Changing the qualifying period to five years brings us in line with the residence criteria of other European countries. The Government does not feel that there are any benefits to be had by maintaining a different provision for the UK than applies elsewhere in the EU."

So my question to Mr. Tony "the tough guy" McNulty would be: When is the 1 and 1/2 years I did here as a Masters student going to qualify for ILR as it does in European countries like France. It seems to me that the UK is "not in line with the residence criteria of other European countries". If the rule needs to be changed of course it could be applied retrospectively.

How thems bananas....

GT :evil: :twisted: :evil: :twisted: :twisted:

supertiger

Post by supertiger » Thu May 18, 2006 9:01 am

Globetrotter wrote: Accessibility to the HO website is far below industry standard to put it politely. Perhaps if they got some HSMPs to analyze and do a re-fit the site would actually function properly. The local talent is not up to par….

Clearly HO don;t like people like us: intelligent, skilled and fair. They will not recruit us:
a. for visa purpose
b. to maintain their own employment secure, get lots of pension after retired

supertiger

Post by supertiger » Thu May 18, 2006 10:03 am

Lok is coming down from Birmingham to join other members of Christine Lee's office to visit Chinese Shop owners in Harrow on Sat. They will be happy to meet anyone who affected by the new rules to provide help and assitance on applying PR using the old forms.
Is CL's team really determined to represent Chinese caterings only?

nonothing

Post by nonothing » Thu May 18, 2006 10:08 am

there's a psot from joseph.DJ on lkcn.
Target group, I had extensive talk with Christine over this in an recent interview. I think she is trying her best to be inclusive, but with the limited time, the easiest way for her to make representation to the HO right now is to focus on the Chinese segment. if she makes any more claim, the HO will just say she has no legitimate right to represent the other groups. For example, BVSI cannot claim any represntation of the catering sectors. BUt they all add to a stronger total voice.

Globetrotter

Post by Globetrotter » Thu May 18, 2006 10:19 am

On yer bike motorbyke!

Read the entire thread. No one here says that the UK government does not have the right to change the qualifying period, it is the retrospective application of the rule that we are questioning.

-GT