ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

5 years for ILR rule implemented

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

rooi_ding

Post by rooi_ding » Thu May 18, 2006 10:29 am

I think it is important that we back anything that anyone is doing from any community, its not important if CL only represents the Chinese catering community or whoever she represents the most important thing is she has her foot in the door and anything that is good for the catering community is good for all of us. We just need to show numbers and vast amount of numbers and we can transfer those numbers into any support base that best helps all of us

We can divide ourselves into what ever groups we please as long as we all support each other when the time comes to show support. Any army needs diversity, strengths become weaknesses and weaknesses become strengths in the most unusual circumstances.

If CL and her team get me my ILR now and not in one years time, because she represented the Chinese catering community then I will be over the moon, (just to clarify I am an Architectural Technician from South Africa) although I do like Chinese food

Globetrotter

Post by Globetrotter » Thu May 18, 2006 5:32 pm

indian_in_uk wrote:The position was for experienced hire.

The reply I got from them is below:

Hi,

Further to your e-mail below and the conversation we had last week, I
have spoken to someone else regarding this and there is still nothing we
can do. The policy stands and we do not accept HSMP visas.

If you do receive indefinite right to work in the UK in the next few
months please do contact me.

Kind regards
Look at what it says in your passport on your visa. I believe if you have HSMP like me it says "Residence Permit"

I would have said that... (leave out the temporary)

GT

indian_in_uk

Post by indian_in_uk » Thu May 18, 2006 5:36 pm

Globetrotter wrote:
indian_in_uk wrote:The position was for experienced hire.

The reply I got from them is below:

Hi,

Further to your e-mail below and the conversation we had last week, I
have spoken to someone else regarding this and there is still nothing we
can do. The policy stands and we do not accept HSMP visas.

If you do receive indefinite right to work in the UK in the next few
months please do contact me.

Kind regards
Look at what it says in your passport on your visa. I believe if you have HSMP like me it says "Residence Permit"

I would have said that... (leave out the temporary)

GT
Yeah, It says Residence Permit.
Good idea, just say unrestricted right to work in the UK and no need to explain it.
I'd rather be a could-be if I cannot be an are; because a could-be is a maybe who is reaching for a star.

gunslinger
Newly Registered

Illegal immigrants

Post by gunslinger » Thu May 18, 2006 7:20 pm

This is really ridiculous !

"5 Illegal Immigrants Arrested While Working as Cleaners At The Home Office"-Sky News

It took the home office so long to arrest these illegal immigrants, while, they do not have to think twice before making it tougher for legal, skilled migrants to live on in this country.

This shows what kind of vetting systems government uses to hire its own staff. I wonder who will be fired next!

Globetrotter

Re: Illegal immigrants

Post by Globetrotter » Thu May 18, 2006 8:22 pm

gunslinger wrote:This is really ridiculous !

"5 Illegal Immigrants Arrested While Working as Cleaners At The Home Office"-Sky News

It took the home office so long to arrest these illegal immigrants, while, they do not have to think twice before making it tougher for legal, skilled migrants to live on in this country.

This shows what kind of vetting systems government uses to hire its own staff. I wonder who will be fired next!
>>I wonder who will be fired next!<<
Mr. Tony "the tough guy" McNulty... NEXT!

nonothing

Post by nonothing » Thu May 18, 2006 8:25 pm

Globetrotter wrote:Mr. Tony "the tough guy" McNulty... NEXT!
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

timefactor
Member of Standing

Post by timefactor » Fri May 19, 2006 8:43 am

Whole south east you can see this, including NHS, council offices etc
gunslinger wrote: 5 Illegal Immigrants Arrested While Working as Cleaners At The Home Office

supertiger

Post by supertiger » Fri May 19, 2006 8:57 am

deleted
Last edited by supertiger on Fri May 19, 2006 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Fri May 19, 2006 8:57 am

Timefactor, unfortunately that story is not true. The people concerned had never worked at the IND building. They had turned up for their first-ever shift cleaning at the IND building, and ended up being arrested.

I am not one to stick up for IND but on this occasion it is clear that their security worked well and they should be congratulated on arresting those illegals.

Hopefully the cleaning contractor company involved will get prosecuted and will lose their contract with IND.
John

timefactor
Member of Standing

Post by timefactor » Fri May 19, 2006 9:49 am

you are right john!

but the same logic applies to NHS as well. i mean contracting jobs - officials may not be aware but there are several illegal immigrants working inside NHS.
John wrote:Timefactor, unfortunately that story is not true. The people concerned had never worked at the IND building. They had turned up for their first-ever shift cleaning at the IND building, and ended up being arrested.

I am not one to stick up for IND but on this occasion it is clear that their security worked well and they should be congratulated on arresting those illegals.

Hopefully the cleaning contractor company involved will get prosecuted and will lose their contract with IND.

nonothing

Post by nonothing » Fri May 19, 2006 11:30 am

VBSI is sending out letters to every parliamentarians to pile further presures on the Home Office.

http://www.vbsi.org.uk/index.php?mact=N ... eturnid=15

rg1
Member of Standing

Post by rg1 » Fri May 19, 2006 11:33 am

Can you set up some donation link in VBSI website (eg. via Paypal or similar) so that anyone can contribute?

supertiger

Post by supertiger » Fri May 19, 2006 11:40 am

rg1 wrote:Can you set up some donation link in VBSI website (eg. via Paypal or similar) so that anyone can contribute?
Great minds think alike! letters and documents look great! Just few tiny things:
supporting doc 2.1 line 4, should be HC1016 (6 is missing now)
3.1 In line with other countries or "EU" countries?

timefactor
Member of Standing

Post by timefactor » Fri May 19, 2006 12:14 pm

i do wish to contribute! even in VBSI forum we can start a thread and request for this. Admin can take followup via PM'ing bank details or paypal details

rg1 wrote:Can you set up some donation link in VBSI website (eg. via Paypal or similar) so that anyone can contribute?

supertiger

Post by supertiger » Fri May 19, 2006 12:35 pm

timefactor wrote:i do wish to contribute! even in VBSI forum we can start a thread and request for this. Admin can take followup via PM'ing bank details or paypal details
new thread added on VBSI forum.

nonothing

Post by nonothing » Fri May 19, 2006 1:30 pm

supertiger wrote: supporting doc 2.1 line 4, should be HC1016 (6 is missing now)
thanks, tiger, i've also noticed that and some other errors. i've corrected them and informed the members of VBSI who are sending the letters. the letter was finalized late late last night.

supertiger

Post by supertiger » Fri May 19, 2006 2:10 pm

Hi one more MP signed EDM: Robert Smith, So now we have 30.
http://edmi.parliament.uk/EDMi/EDMDetai ... ESSION=875

nonothing

Post by nonothing » Fri May 19, 2006 2:12 pm

yes, we do. :D
i'll update the stats accordingly.

supertiger

Post by supertiger » Fri May 19, 2006 2:28 pm

and Vicent Cable signed 1992 and he's now also signed 1912.

Skilledmigrant
Newly Registered

Re: Chain Mail

Post by Skilledmigrant » Fri May 19, 2006 2:52 pm

tobiashomer wrote:
olisun wrote:
tobiashomer wrote:
One of the most important of those Rules stated clearly that in any work-related immigration category, we would have the right to Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR or settlement in the UK) after 4 years of residence provided we fully abide by the stringent rules and regulations governing our presence here.
are you sure? can you prove that you have the right to Indefinite Leave to Remain ?
strange question: HSMP booklet, IND website prior to 3 April, extension letter from HO saying so.. is that not a right? perhaps: I came here believing I had a right.
Dear fellow member,

I am one of the highly skilled migrants who have been very much affected by the 4 to 5 year change in the qualifying period for ILR. One of the reasons I moved from a very good job abroad was due to the facility to obtain ILR in four years through the HSMP route. I missed the 4 year dead line by two months. The change has created a lot of financial hardship as my son starts University in September this year and we have to pay overseas fee for three years.

I am not sure whether this government will listen to our concerns. However I strongly feel we should let our voices heard. I suggest we should undertake a peaceful patriotic protest in front of home office/Parliament.

The day we decided to migrate we have made this country our home and we have made this solemn declaration and we are being treated like this. We should carry British flags and Placards saying "We do belong here", "Treat us fairly" and "Keep up your words". If there are enough of us we should sing British national anthem every 10 minutes from Dawn to Dusk to make our voices heard and show our belonging to our adopted land.

This will attract attention and at least bring this issue in the open.

Best wishes,

supertiger

Post by supertiger » Fri May 19, 2006 3:11 pm

Welcome to the forum SKilledmigrant. I am sorry to hear your situation and absolutely understand your anger. Who doesn't under this thread? We did discuss the protest before HO and parliament but most people thought at this stage lobbying is the most effective way. There might be a demonstration needed in near future and everyone really should go. but no their national anthem please although we are integrating a democracy...

If you are new to the forum, please also constantly check our own website: www.vbsi.org.uk news updated in first time...do trust the collective power and do waht you can contribute, write to MP for example... cheers.

a11

Post by a11 » Fri May 19, 2006 7:32 pm

I should really be posting this to the VBSI forum, but due to some technical error (I believe, on my side) I can't get the registration confirmation email.

Anyway, I just wanted to say that I really liked the letter that VBSI members have prepared for circulation around MPs. That's a great job. Thanks guys!

I only have two minor comments. Firstly, the main articulated appeal of this letter (stated in the last paragraph) is for the MPs to sign the EDMs. However, I believe that at this stage there's much more that MPs can do about that. Moreover, the EDMs call for the disapproval of the changes, whereas we only clearly ask for introduction of provisional arrangements "on top of them". So I think we should say something like "we ask you to sign the EDM or contribute in any other way you consider most efficient efficient in order for the transitional arrangements to be introduced".

Secondly, I find that the letter might benefit from adding our response to main McNulty's comments to "supplementary information". You could take it from my draft of a letter to Tony Blair that I posted as a separate topic on this forum.

In any case, whether you decide to incorporate my suggestions or not, I wish you best of luck!

Papafaith
Member of Standing

Donations

Post by Papafaith » Fri May 19, 2006 8:12 pm

Can we initiate the process of donations to VBSI? Lets put all resources together. I am ready to donate.
An eye for an eye will make the whole world blind.

morerightsformigrants

Post by morerightsformigrants » Sat May 20, 2006 2:54 am

today in channel 4 news they clearly said that IND has employed illegal immigrants. 2 of them for about 3 years.

John wrote:Timefactor, unfortunately that story is not true. The people concerned had never worked at the IND building. They had turned up for their first-ever shift cleaning at the IND building, and ended up being arrested.

PASS

Post by PASS » Sat May 20, 2006 6:33 am

(Quote) This is not an issue for us.

The issue is, VBSI are doing wonderful job.

1. Why don’t VBSI collect a membership fee (already >280 members), I hope everyone would be happy to contribute. Just send a PM to all member with VBSI’s account details. This is apart from donation.

2. Letter to Parliamentarians :
http://www.vbsi.org.uk/index.php?page=l ... mentarians

Like research article - Many thanks to think tanks of VBSI

Suggestion:

A.May be ideal to include

Copy to : All Parliamentarians

+ve side: Other MPs also know that it has been send out to every member and may discuss among them when they meet, at this point one MP may recommend other MP to sign up the EDM 1912 and EDM 1992.
Since it has been signed already by 30 MPs, the momentum will be high.

B. Send a soft (electronic copy) also, whether they read it or not. It is in fact, collective info about immigration for them.
morerightsformigrants wrote:today in channel 4 news they clearly said that IND has employed illegal immigrants. 2 of them for about 3 years.