ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Temporary contract due to pregnancy

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

alanakaja1980

Temporary contract due to pregnancy

Post by alanakaja1980 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:35 pm

I have recently came back to the UK after spending time with my husband in Alaska (he is a US citizen). I am also 16 weeks pregnant. I have had no luck looking for work as yet. I have registered with various employment agencies and I think that, due to my situation, temporary work is more suitable at this time. My husband is over here with me until March under the visa waiver/tourist visa. We had planned to apply for his settlement visa in March, once he goes back to Alaska. I am hoping to have some sort of income by January through agency/temporary work. There is no point of me looking for a permanent position at this time as I will be due our baby in June 2011 and I know for a fact that companies will not want to hire someone who will be going off on maternity leave in 5/6 months time. Does anyone know if me being employed by an employment agency will cause any problems with our visa application?

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:36 pm

If your husband applies in March and your baby is due in June, the ECO will want to see how you will be able to support yourselves financially once you are not working. They will almost certainly take the view that the employment agency (unlike a permanent employer) won't be paying you during your maternity leave.
The safer option would be for your husband to obtain a written job offer for when he re-enters with a spouse visa.
You're going to need to show that once you have paid for rent or mortgage, council tax and any loan repayments you will have a minimum of £102.75 for you and your husband weekly + £60 for your child.

alanakaja1980

Post by alanakaja1980 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:29 pm

One of the agencies that I have registered with does offer maternity pay.

How is he supposed to have a written job offer if he cannot apply for any jobs until after he has a spouse visa?

chinagef

Post by chinagef » Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:31 pm

alanakaja1980 wrote:One of the agencies that I have registered with does offer maternity pay.

How is he supposed to have a written job offer if he cannot apply for any jobs until after he has a spouse visa?
The employer can state that they will employ him as soon as he enters the UK on a spouse visa.

alanakaja1980

Post by alanakaja1980 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:51 pm

chinagef wrote:
alanakaja1980 wrote:One of the agencies that I have registered with does offer maternity pay.

The employer can state that they will employ him as soon as he enters the UK on a spouse visa.
So he will have to look around for jobs now and make some contacts with possible employers while he is here in the UK? Is this not illegal as he is only on a tourist visa?

alanakaja1980

Post by alanakaja1980 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:58 pm

I would also like to add that we are and will be in the near future staying with my Mum at her house rent free. Is there any guidelines regarding third party support? My Mum has a secure permanent job and she is willing to provide support if required.

chinagef

Post by chinagef » Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:00 pm

alanakaja1980 wrote:
chinagef wrote:

So he will have to look around for jobs now and make some contacts with possible employers while he is here in the UK? Is this not illegal as he is only on a tourist visa?
As long as he is not working/getting paid, speaking to people and making contacts is not in breach of his visitor restrictions as far as I know...

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:55 pm

Your mother can provide rent-free accommodation. You would need to submit a letter from her agreeing to your husband living there and include a copy of her mortgage agreement or property deeds. If the property is rented, a letter from the landlord agreeing to you and your husband living there.
Check with the agency if there is a minimum time you would need to be employed by them in order to receive maternity pay.

alanakaja1980

Post by alanakaja1980 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:47 pm

Thanks guys for your input/advice :D

Since writing my initial query, my husband has already managed to speak to someone who would be willing to offer him work in his private business on his return to the UK. So would a headed letter from him stating the above be sufficient? I am assuming the ECO may want to contact the employer if necessary, which would not be a problem in this case. Also, what would happen if my husband was issued a visa and he managed to secure a different job on his return to the UK (not the job that he has been offered just now)?

Casa, the agency that I have registered with does not have a minimum time to provide maternity pay. Fingers crossed they can now find me a job!

Hope this makes sense :?

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:32 pm

When my husband applied for his Spouse visa in Spain where we were living, we both submitted job offers both written on Company headed paper, stating hours and pay etc. They didn't contact the prospective employers, although they often do so.

Kitty

Post by Kitty » Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:12 pm

In terms of Statutory Maternity Pay, you are only eligible to receive this from an employer in certain circumstances. If you have been working in the 26 weeks before your baby is born, you may be eligible for Maternity Allowance insteand. Check out this government guide to maternity payments.

Employers can also of course offer any kind of contractual maternity pay they like but I would think it very unusual for them to make additional payments to someone who didn't already satisfy the statutory eligibility.