ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

I am a little scared (travelling to UK question)

This is an area for the discussion of matters related to issues about moving from one country to another. Examples could be about money transfer, moving and packing, validity of driving licence, etc..

It is not a general non-immigration, free-for-all area.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Tina315
Newly Registered

I am a little scared (travelling to UK question)

Post by Tina315 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:20 am

I got my Tier 1 general valid from Oct 2010. I haven't traveled because people have said jobs are difficult so i figured i would just work to the end of my current contract then terminate the contract in March and then move to the UK. now my question is according to the responses in this thread http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=68971 such as this
I have dealt with in the past, a case where the IO revoked a tier 1 (general) visa as they were not satisfied they would continue to fulfill the role of a tier 1 migrant, and hence they submitted that the migrant should have applied and entered under a different category, e.g. a visitor or otherwise.
it seems then that entry into the UK with a Tier 1 isn't guaranteed and can be refused at the point of entry. Can those that have traveled on Tier 1 give their experiences, because if its not guaranteed entry i would rather not take the chance of getting turned away after i quit my job...

please help...

innocentdevil
Diamond Member

Post by innocentdevil » Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:27 am

never heard of something like that before. don't you apply for entry clearence at your home country and then just come in.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:34 am

You may enter UK any time while your leave (visa) is valid.

regards

t1s2010
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by t1s2010 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:40 am

@Tina,

Please read the thread, you are referring to in its entirety.
If you are making multiple short visits or at IO, say.. on immigration check, you say that - 'I am here for site seeing' than you are not for 'work'..

Once or twice is fine and you can support/convince the IO with proper documents or communication.

Essentially, any visa to any country needs to be used for the stated purpose.
:) hope it helps.

kenfrapin

Post by kenfrapin » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:53 am

You need to stop listening to RUMOURS and grow up. People keep saying a 100 things but if you are sensible, just go on to the UKBA website and read all guidelines for travel to the UK.

Carry all relevant documents only, pack your bags and prep yourself for the job hunt ahead. That is the single most important thing you need to concentrate on for now. You have a valid Tier 1 Visa so why will they not let you in??? If you are fleeing your country or a terrorist or a murderer then fine, you must be worried but if you are a sensible person with a valid visa dont worry about anything other than coming here and getting a job

All the best
KP

Tina315
Newly Registered

Post by Tina315 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:44 am

So now I have an actual dilemma (this is actually related to the other thread I linked to in my first post in this thread). So my current contract ends in March and I have planned to travel March 21st (My visa already started). I have been applying for jobs online and now I have been called for an interview on the 25th of January. I have started my 3 month notice period for my current job but I can take a week to fly from Tokyo to london for the interview and back. So now my dilemma is how will it look if I fly in for 1 week (or probably 4/5 days) and come back to tokyo after the interview and then re-enter again on the 21st of March. Is this doable without any major problems.

mulderpf
Diamond Member

Post by mulderpf » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:00 am

It should not be a problem. Both times you will be entering, will be for the purposes which your visa allows you for. Just make sure that you take any confirmations of interviews etc with you in case you get stopped and questioned. Other than that, you shouldn't have a problem - you are not using the visa for leisure travel or any other purpose it was not intended for.

kenfrapin

Post by kenfrapin » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:07 pm

People need to get one thing straight - A Tier 1 visa is meant, for the moment, to be applied and secured even outside the UK, arrange for interviews and travel to UK to attend interviews or just come to hunt for jobs.

This being the case, there is nothing stopping you from travelling here to attend interviews or sit on your behind and hunt for jobs in the UK. Unless and until the UK introduces new immigration rules restricting unwarranted travel, you can travel with your Tier 1 any number of times.

The problem is with those who look nervous and worried in front of the Immigration Officer who then thinks you are misusing the visa and grills you further to get info out of you. But if you are honestly travelling to hunt for work or attend interviews there is nothing they will do. Otherwise too, there are no rules currently to stop Tier 1 holders with proper validity travelling even 100 times in 2 years. Just relax and speak the truth and you will be fine.

KP

Traveler33
Newly Registered

Post by Traveler33 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:45 pm

Good idea to carry proof that you went for interview not just on this trip, but when you visit UK again, carry proof that previous trips were for interviews.