ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Consultation regarding the Tier System

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

sowhat

Consultation regarding the Tier System

Post by sowhat » Fri May 19, 2006 11:30 am

I've got a strange feeling that we started to discuss it in one topic but some of the posts have disappeared. Anyway the point is that as someone pointed out the consultations reagarding tier point-based system are under way at the moment.

My concern is that HO may again implement it retrospectively making the poeple who are already in the country to go through the point collection when they will apply for residency. As an example you can take a person who enetered the UK on HSMP visa when 27.5 but will have to apply for ILR when 32.5, being over 28/32, which may cost her/him some vital points.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Fri May 19, 2006 12:11 pm

Missing posts? Yesterday? If so, this topic might explain.

I have to say that I really don't think it will work in the way you suggest.
John

sowhat

Post by sowhat » Fri May 19, 2006 12:13 pm

John wrote:Missing posts? Yesterday? If so, this topic might explain.

I have to say that I really don't think it will work in the way you suggest.
neither did I regarding 4-to-5 change and here we are, have to wait another year. You can never be sure of how the legislation will be applied.

supertiger

Post by supertiger » Fri May 19, 2006 12:21 pm

Yes John, unfortunately there are some posts sent by late morning missing we have talked about on VBSI too.

For the new tier sys, I think the current ILR 4-5 is again crutial, it has a domino effect if HO still insists to implement, and it is the same thing if they publish any new policy will apply to us in week's time next year. but vice versa it wouldn;t apply to existing visa holders if they change back to 5-4...

ppron747
inactive

Post by ppron747 » Fri May 19, 2006 12:21 pm

The difference being that the proposed tier system has always been described as the way people will be admitted to UK - IMO if you're already here, you're not looking to be admitted - you're looking to stay - or not....
|| paul R.I.P, January, 2007
Want a 2nd opinion? One will be along shortly....

sowhat

Post by sowhat » Fri May 19, 2006 12:24 pm

supertiger wrote:Yes John, unfortunately there are some posts sent by late morning missing we have talked about on VBSI too.

For the new tier sys, I think the current ILR 4-5 is again crutial, it has a domino effect if HO still insists to implement, and it is the same thing if they publish any new policy will apply to us in week's time next year. but vice versa it wouldn;t apply to existing visa holders if they change back to 5-4...
though those issues are inter-connected but not in both directions... what I mean is that we may succeed with our fight against 4-to-5 rule, but may not. In any case we should contact the HO regarding new tier system and express our concern that the changes may effect those who are already in the country.

sowhat

Post by sowhat » Fri May 19, 2006 12:25 pm

ppron747 wrote:The difference being that the proposed tier system has always been described as the way people will be admitted to UK - IMO if you're already here, you're not looking to be admitted - you're looking to stay - or not....
well, one can re-phrase in in the following way:
addmitted as permanent residents
why not?

supertiger

Post by supertiger » Fri May 19, 2006 12:33 pm

[quote="sowhat] though those issues are inter-connected but not in both directions... what I mean is that we may succeed with our fight against 4-to-5 rule, but may not. In any case we should contact the HO regarding new tier system and express our concern that the changes may effect those who are already in the country.
[/quote][/quote]

Rob did consulted his MP and then Charls Clark, he said would NOT affect but now affected....

ppron747
inactive

Post by ppron747 » Fri May 19, 2006 12:47 pm

sowhat wrote:
ppron747 wrote:The difference being that the proposed tier system has always been described as the way people will be admitted to UK - IMO if you're already here, you're not looking to be admitted - you're looking to stay - or not....
well, one can re-phrase in in the following way:
addmitted as permanent residents
why not?
I have no idea what means, but the opening paragraph of the executive summary of the Command Paper says "This document sets out the Government’s proposals for a new points-based approach to managing the flow of migrants coming to the UK to work or study". I don't rule out the possibility of the goalposts moving, but it seems less likely, given the stated objective of the new system.
Incidentally, the consulatations are not underway at the moment as you indicated above - they've been completed, and the results published - they're on the "Closed Consultations" page of the IND website.
|| paul R.I.P, January, 2007
Want a 2nd opinion? One will be along shortly....

nonothing

Post by nonothing » Fri May 19, 2006 1:26 pm

ppron747 wrote:I have no idea what means, but the opening paragraph of the executive summary of the Command Paper says "This document sets out the Government’s proposals for a new points-based approach to managing the flow of migrants coming to the UK to work or study". I don't rule out the possibility of the goalposts moving, but it seems less likely, given the stated objective of the new system.
but they didn't ask this question:

"Q12 Would the proposed outline design for Tiers 1 and 2 exclude any migrants who enter the UK under the current Work Permit (UK) or Highly Skilled Migrant Programme (HSMP) arrangements?"

ihmo, "retrospective" is also possible in the tier system. that's another reason why we do need to fight hard for "4-5 retrospective". otherwise, it's even more likely that HO is gonna do whatever it wants.

sowhat

Post by sowhat » Sat May 20, 2006 11:36 am

nonothing wrote:
ppron747 wrote:I have no idea what means, but the opening paragraph of the executive summary of the Command Paper says "This document sets out the Government’s proposals for a new points-based approach to managing the flow of migrants coming to the UK to work or study". I don't rule out the possibility of the goalposts moving, but it seems less likely, given the stated objective of the new system.
but they didn't ask this question:

"Q12 Would the proposed outline design for Tiers 1 and 2 exclude any migrants who enter the UK under the current Work Permit (UK) or Highly Skilled Migrant Programme (HSMP) arrangements?"

ihmo, "retrospective" is also possible in the tier system. that's another reason why we do need to fight hard for "4-5 retrospective". otherwise, it's even more likely that HO is gonna do whatever it wants.
yes, it's pretty much not clear from the responses. I think that we should voice our concerns as well. In my opinion this matter could be more important for some of us than the extra year.

nonothing

Post by nonothing » Sat May 20, 2006 4:27 pm

here's the proposed points-beased system and some key pages' snapshots on VBSI website.

http://www.vbsi.org.uk/index.php?page=f ... nts_system