ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Immigration clarefication

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

sanchilus
Newly Registered

Immigration clarefication

Post by sanchilus » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:43 pm

I am a jamacian and i came here and spouse visa but i was told that because i was born in 1960 when jamaica was ruled by the English Goverment i should be entitle for british passport so could you please shed some light and the facts of it for me

Mr Rusty
Diamond Member

Post by Mr Rusty » Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:19 am

Maybe, maybe not. Try and get your head round this (from UKBA website) and see if you qualify:-

"If you were born outside the United Kingdom before 1 January 1983
If you were born outside the United Kingdom before 1 January 1983, you became a British citizen if, immediately before that date, you were a citizen of the United Kingdom and Colonies and had the right of abode in the United Kingdom.

You may have had citizenship of the United Kingdom and Colonies by descent from a father who had that citizenship, or because you were registered or naturalised as a citizen of the United Kingdom and Colonies.

If you have a passport issued before 1 January 1983 that describes you as a citizen of the United Kingdom and Colonies on page 1, you will almost certainly have become a British citizen on 1 January 1983 as long as page 5 says 'Holder has the right of abode in the United Kingdom'.

However, if you had the right of abode because you were registered under the British Nationality (No2) Act 1964, you will not normally have become a British citizen on 1 January 1983 unless your mother became a British citizen then.

You may have had right of abode if:

â– you were adopted, naturalised or registered as a citizen of the United Kingdom and Colonies in the United Kingdom (except in certain circumstances);
â– you had been legally settled in the United Kingdom and ordinarily resident there for five years; or
â– when you were born, you had a parent who was a citizen of the United Kingdom and Colonies because he/she was born, adopted, naturalised or registered in the United Kingdom (except in certain circumstances), or because one of your grandparents was."

Sandieo
Newly Registered

immigration clarification

Post by Sandieo » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:05 am

You will only be entitled to a British passport if you were resident in the uk with permission to reside here prior to 1983, or you were resident in Jamaica with a passport giving you permission to reside in th uk. If either of these situations were not the case, you can apply via the Spouse route - spousal visa -ILR- naturalisation- british passport.

sanchilus
Newly Registered

Post by sanchilus » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:22 pm

my great grand father was british

sanchilus
Newly Registered

Post by sanchilus » Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:07 am

well i am due to apply for my ILR in may next year so I would like to know what kind dacuments do I need to provide to the homeoffice I would be very graceful for your help thank you