ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Divorced with PR how long do I have to wait for BC?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

michelinha

Divorced with PR how long do I have to wait for BC?

Post by michelinha » Sat Dec 25, 2010 2:34 pm

Hi ya guys, I got my PR in NOV 19th and I d like to know if I have to wait 12months before applying for BC or if can apply straight way? As divorced will I have to show any document from my ex husband? thank you so much.

tonytee

Post by tonytee » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:04 am

To apply on your merit, you need to have stayed five years in the UK including 1 year with ILR. However if your partner is willing they can support your application after a 3 year stay including one year ILR. In that case, you will apply as a spose of a BRITISH CITIZEN (IF THEY ARE BRITISH)

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:11 am

Not quite correct. If you were separated (legally or not) the Home Office would consider you still married and if your spouse was willing to submit their passport (or birth certificate) supporting your application you could apply for BC after 3 years if married to a British Citizen under UK regulations. However, as you are divorced you no longer have this option and will have to complete the full 5 years of legal residence waiting for 1 year following the issue of your PR applying under your own merit.