ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Indian Passport Expires in Jul and i Have an ILR

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

arun_av
Newly Registered

Indian Passport Expires in Jul and i Have an ILR

Post by arun_av » Thu May 11, 2006 10:44 am

Hi,
I have an ILR but my Indian passport expires in July this year. What needs to be done to retain my ILR?
Regards
Arun

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Thu May 11, 2006 2:39 pm

Nothing, you do not lose your IRL if your passport expires.

However you will have to have your ILR visa sticker transfered to your new Indian passport once you get it which you can either do by post or in person at the Home Office.
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.

ppron747
inactive

Post by ppron747 » Thu May 11, 2006 9:30 pm

Dawie wrote:....However you will have to have your ILR visa sticker transfered to your new Indian passport once you get it which you can either do by post or in person at the Home Office.
No you won't - according to the bottom of this page on the IND website, where the following paragraphs appear
Please be aware that if you submit a passport that has expired, or is close to expiry, you will need to pay the current fee should you wish to have any leave granted transferred into a new passport at a later date.

However you should be aware that you are able to travel with a new, valid passport without having your leave transferred provided that you carry with it either your old passport with your endorsement of leave, or the letter on which your leave was granted.
|| paul R.I.P, January, 2007
Want a 2nd opinion? One will be along shortly....

mhunjn

Re: Indian Passport Expires in Jul and i Have an ILR

Post by mhunjn » Fri May 12, 2006 8:24 am

Simply get the passport renewed. IHC will give you a new passport and will also send your old passport back with 'Cancelled' stamps on it. However, your ILR page will not be stamped along with any other valid visas... these would still be valid.
Just carry both your passports when you are travelling, and you'll be fine.
For convenience, you can staple your old passport at the back of the new one, but carefully so that it does not damage any of the two.
arun_av wrote:Hi,
I have an ILR but my Indian passport expires in July this year. What needs to be done to retain my ILR?
Regards
Arun

neilroy

Post by neilroy » Fri May 12, 2006 10:38 am

Please be careful with the staple issue, i was advised not to do that as the new passport is machine readable and staple pin could cause a problem for that.

ppron747
inactive

Post by ppron747 » Fri May 12, 2006 12:24 pm

neilroy wrote:Please be careful with the staple issue, i was advised not to do that as the new passport is machine readable and staple pin could cause a problem for that.
Absolutely! The UK stopped "uniting" British passports years ago, for this very reason...
And I don't know about you, but I'd be slightly concerned about being responsible for accidentally drawing the blood of the immigration official who decides how long I'm going to be allowed to stay in the country I'm going to! :lol:
|| paul R.I.P, January, 2007
Want a 2nd opinion? One will be along shortly....

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Fri May 12, 2006 12:30 pm

Absolutely! The UK stopped "uniting" British passports years ago, for this very reason...
And I don't know about you, but I'd be slightly concerned about being responsible for accidentally drawing the blood of the immigration official who decides how long I'm going to be allowed to stay in the country I'm going to!
No chance of that, immigration officials don't have hearts, so I doubt there will be much blood.
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.

mhunjn

Post by mhunjn » Fri May 12, 2006 1:30 pm

That's precisely why I mentioned to be careful and to staple the old passport at the back as the machine readable bit is on the front page of the new passport.
neilroy wrote:Please be careful with the staple issue, i was advised not to do that as the new passport is machine readable and staple pin could cause a problem for that.

PASS

Re: Indian Passport Expires in Jul and i Have an ILR

Post by PASS » Sat May 13, 2006 8:09 am

Arun,

Your new passport will be endorsed with new stamp (ILR) at check point whilst you return back here - Free of cost!

Still it may be usful to carry the HO letter also with you as further evidence

mhunjn wrote: Just carry both your passports when you are travelling, and you'll be fine.
For convenience, you can staple your old passport at the back of the new one, but carefully so that it does not damage any of the two.
arun_av wrote:Hi,
Regards
Arun

AdiPsych
Newly Registered

Post by AdiPsych » Sat May 13, 2006 8:53 am

no it wont...
u need to send to home office... immigration officials stopped transferring

mhunjn

Post by mhunjn » Mon May 15, 2006 8:29 am

Just to clear the confusion. ILR stamps are no longer transferred to new passports at immigration.

However, for your Indian passport, you'll be fine as long as you carry your old passport with you whenever you are travelling. IHC do not cancel the valid ILR stamps on expired passports, so no problems whatsoever.

So need to pay the fees for transferring your ILR stamp to the new passport, unless you feel like wasting money!

rogerroger
Member of Standing

Post by rogerroger » Sun May 21, 2006 7:07 pm

i think the need for transferring the visa arises when you want to apply for the scengen visa.

i remember going to the portuguese embassy and being told that your ILR needs to be transferred to your new passport,
this was some eu regulation. hence i had to go to the home office, get the ilr on my new passport(cost me 250) and then went back to the portuguese embassy

3 trips to the portuguese embassy
1 to the home office (all for a schengen visa)

mhunjn

Post by mhunjn » Mon May 22, 2006 8:11 am

That's strange. We have had quite a few sch visas, and never had any problems. We just sent out old and new ppts together, and no questions were asked.

rogerroger
Member of Standing

Post by rogerroger » Mon May 22, 2006 8:23 am

in that case i guess the lady consular at the portuguese embassy waas either stupid or just being funny.