ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Obtaining British Citizenship/Passport being born abroad.

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

goals22
Newly Registered

Obtaining British Citizenship/Passport being born abroad.

Post by goals22 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:10 pm

Hi,

I am married with a south-american woman (holder of a spanish passport). I am an British passport holder living in England with my her.
My wife has recently become pregnant and would like to return to south america to have our baby.
My questions are

1) if my wife returns to South america to have our child, can she then apply for a British passport so that the baby can live here with us when he/she is born.
2) If she can obtain a passport for the baby to come to the UK, how long does this process normally take in South America.
3) What information would I/she need to provide in order to obtain a passport for our child.
4) Would the child be treated as a normal uk resident?

Thanks for any help.
Last edited by goals22 on Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:26 pm

Are you a British citizen otherwise than by descent?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

goals22
Newly Registered

Yes I'm a native British

Post by goals22 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:54 am

Yes I'm a native British citizen, born and lived the whole of my life in England.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:09 am

Child may apply for British passport at the nearest British post.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.

goals22
Newly Registered

Post by goals22 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:27 pm

Can you confirm we do this via the below

We need to complete Form C2 to acquire the passport?

If we complete Form C2 then we DO NOT need to register the birth with the local Embassy to obtain a consular birth registration?

Thanks[/b]

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:48 pm

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:10 am

goals22 wrote:We need to complete Form C2 to acquire the passport?
Yes. See also Child form notes.

regards

goals22
Newly Registered

Post by goals22 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:48 am

Filling in form C2 I wanted to know the below;

1) On form C2 it asks for a countersignature to sign one the photos stating that it is a true likeness of the child. Unfortunately we do not know any British citizens in her country.
It says on the form that the signature should be from someone who has known her for two years. My question is would we be able to just ask someone in the UK to sign Section 8 of the form WITHOUT signing the photo. Their signature being a guarantee the information we are providing is true?

2) Or is it essential to have someone sign the back of one of the photos? If this is the case then the only solution would be to select someone of a similar standing (i.e a teacher) within the the country(in South-America) we are applying from? If we do this - is there anything else we can do to help the application i.e a signature from s.america to sign the photo and additionally one from the UK saying they have known us for 2 years.

3) The Documents we should provide are a) Fathers UK Passport b) Childs full birth certificate with notarised translation c) Fathers full UK birth certificate d) Mothers passport (south-american) e) UK marriage certificate f) 2 Photos of new baby g) if possible family photos of UK father and mother with baby together. Is there anything other information that would be useful to provide. i.e Fathers financial information, work salary etc

Just to refresh.
Me and my wife will be applying for a first child passport. I am a British citizen (BC) otherwise than by descent. She is south-american (currently on a uk spouse visa).
She is planning to have our child in south-america, and when the child is born we will then apply for passport for him/her.
Thanks for your help

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:50 am