ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

help please

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

kbrownn
Newly Registered

help please

Post by kbrownn » Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:11 pm

Hello

I need a thorough advice.
I am married to a british citzen and we have a child but she threatens me everytime that she can divorce me and I would not get my ILR nor citizenship.
I have gotten tired of it and plan to return back to studies. I was on a student visa before we married. I have done 2 masters degree and was doing my PHD before we got married.
please is it advisable to get my FLR(M) changed to student visa so I am not dependant on her again.But would still be married. Just want to show her i would not be held to ransom.
please what can I do.

mochyn
Diamond Member

Post by mochyn » Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:18 pm

As you have a child together you have the right to access.
You can apply for ILR through Article 8 of the Human Rights Act.
It would take longer than the spousal route but at least you will not be blackmailed

onja2009
Newly Registered

Post by onja2009 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:07 pm

Good topic. I also am gin thru d same problem. Wat can I do to get away. if i divorce or separate ,wld i still be able to apply for ILR. Have about 7months more before i can apply 4 ILR.

El shaddai
Member of Standing

Post by El shaddai » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:15 pm

I think it will be better for you to wait and endure for the remaining 7months just at the corner in my own opinion.

onja2009
Newly Registered

Post by onja2009 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:54 pm

Can I get ILR if I am separated from my spouse? if i just move out but do not go to court to make it legal?

Obie
Ireland

Re: help please

Post by Obie » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:47 am

kbrownn wrote:Hello

I need a thorough advice.
I am married to a british citzen and we have a child but she threatens me everytime that she can divorce me and I would not get my ILR nor citizenship.
I have gotten tired of it and plan to return back to studies. I was on a student visa before we married. I have done 2 masters degree and was doing my PHD before we got married.
please is it advisable to get my FLR(M) changed to student visa so I am not dependant on her again.But would still be married. Just want to show her i would not be held to ransom.
please what can I do.

Unfortunately you will not qualify for student visa, except you leave the UK and reapply from overseas.

The reason is that you will be disqualified by virtue of 245ZX (b) as your last leave to remain was not as a student but spouse of a British Citizen.
[b]245ZX. Requirements for leave to remain[/b] wrote:
To qualify for leave to remain as a Tier 4 (General) Student under this rule, an applicant must meet the requirements listed below. If the applicant meets these requirements, leave to remain will be granted. If the applicant does not meet these requirements, the applicant will be refused.

Requirements:

(a) The applicant must not fall for refusal under the general grounds for refusal and must not be an illegal entrant.

(b) The applicant must have, or have last been granted, entry clearance, leave to enter or leave to remain:

(i) as a Tier 4 (General) Student,

(ii) as a Tier 4 (Child) Student,

(iii) as a Tier 1 (Post-study Work) Migrant,

(iv) as a Tier 2 Migrant,

(v) as a Participant in the International Graduates Scheme (or its predecessor, the Science and Engineering Graduates Scheme),

(vi) as a Participant in the Fresh Talent: Working in Scotland Scheme,

(vii) as a Postgraduate Doctor or Dentist,

(viii) as a Prospective Student,

(ix) as a Student,

(x) as a Student Nurse,

(xi) as a Student Re-sitting an Examination,

(xii) as a Student Writing-Up a Thesis,

(xiii) as a Student Union Sabbatical Officer, or

(xiv) as a Work Permit Holder.
I can see your intention is not to proceed with divorce, but this direction might put more strain on your relationship, and your rights might be further curtailed, which might in turn affect your income, and put more strain on your relationship. It is best to reassure your wife that she does not need to exert pressure on you, or threaten you in any way, as your intention in the relationship is not for residency but out of love. Try to calm any insecurities. If this does not work, then you can apply for entry clearance from oversea or wait until you have obtained your ILR, and i am sure she will not jeopardize it . I wish you all the best. But think carefully what options you want to take and the possible implication.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:24 am

onja2009 wrote:Can I get ILR if I am separated from my spouse? if i just move out but do not go to court to make it legal?
No.
287. (a) wrote:(iii) each of the parties intends to live permanently with the other as his or her spouse or civil partner; and
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

onja2009
Newly Registered

Post by onja2009 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:59 pm

Hello.

My wife has moved out of our home for 3 months now. i have not been able to see my son.
also she has secured a council flat and also claim child benefit.
Has these steps hindered my obtaining ILR?
Also she has refused to divorce? saying it would prevent me obtaining ILR if she delays making it legal.
Please what steps can I take as regards seeing my child and also my immigration status.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:35 pm

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

onja2009
Newly Registered

Post by onja2009 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:32 am

Thanks for the reply..
But would I be granted access to child LTR when we are still married but separated? I thought it was for couples that have divorced(permanently)

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:38 am

onja2009 wrote:Thanks for the reply..
But would I be granted access to child LTR when we are still married but separated? I thought it was for couples that have divorced(permanently)
there is no requirement that you need to be divorced. The rules don't even explicitly state that you need to be separated although in practice this is usually the case. You do need to have contact with your child though and you mentioned you had not seen your son since your wife had moved out. You should seek advice from a family solicitor about this.

Kitty

Post by Kitty » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:59 am

When does your spouse visa expire?

As Greenie says, you should consult a family solicitor and start the process of arranging access to your child.

Even if the proceedings are not finalised before your current visa expires, you should still be granted discretionary leave to remain while they are going on:

http://freemovement.wordpress.com/2011/ ... ion-cases/

onja2009
Newly Registered

Post by onja2009 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:24 pm

Kitty wrote:When does your spouse visa expire?

As Greenie says, you should consult a family solicitor and start the process of arranging access to your child.

Even if the proceedings are not finalised before your current visa expires, you should still be granted discretionary leave to remain while they are going on:

http://freemovement.wordpress.com/2011/ ... ion-cases/
My spousal visa expires late september. Do not want to escalate issues WITH LEGAL PROCEEDINGS NOW. I do send money monthly for the upkeep of my son. Also d social services have been contacted,was told an assessment would be done. but its been a long while.

Kitty

Post by Kitty » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:55 pm

To stand a chance of getting discretionary leave you will need to show some kind of progress towards establishing contact with your child. I would suggest taking legal advice about your options even if you don't want to start proceedings right now.

You don't have to have a court order for contact to make an application for leave to remain: you can do it on the basis of a written statement of the conditions of contact from your wife. However, consider that if she is not even talking to you at the moment, this might be difficult to get.

Applying for leave to remain under paragraph 248A of the Immigration Rules is greatly preferable to obtaining discretionary leave as it currently leads to ILR after one year, instead of 6.