ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

I want to move to England but where do I start?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

jackuk778
Newly Registered

I want to move to England but where do I start?

Post by jackuk778 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:27 pm

I'm from America and want to move to England within the next 8-12 years. I'm thinking of going to college for something related to photography. Would a degree in this field be good enough to get a job and qualify for citizenship in the UK? What tier system would I be placed under? Is an arts-related degree a bad move to make as far as gaining citizenship in England/UK is concerned?

[iD]

Re: I want to move to England but where do I start?

Post by [iD] » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:57 am

jackuk778 wrote:I'm from America and want to move to England within the next 8-12 years. I'm thinking of going to college for something related to photography. Would a degree in this field be good enough to get a job and qualify for citizenship in the UK? What tier system would I be placed under? Is an arts-related degree a bad move to make as far as gaining citizenship in England/UK is concerned?
A lot changes in 8-12 years time mate. I'd suggest do something you love and then check this forum after 8 years and see what you can do. They change immigration rules every next week nowadays so I wouldn't hold my breath
Goodluck.

jackuk778
Newly Registered

Post by jackuk778 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:40 am

Ok fair enough. Please allow me to change my question a bit:

I think going to college is almost always a great choice to make for everyone and defintely want to study something that I love. However moving to England is a top priority in my life so I definitely want to choose to study something that will not only be fun and hopefully yield a good job but also something that puts me in a good position for immigration later.

So let's say I want to move to England this year. Would a degree in a photography related field, like maybe a general visual arts type of degree, be adequate to get a job and qualify for citizenship in the UK? What tier system would I be placed under currently? Is an arts-related degree currently a bad move to make as far as gaining citizenship in England/UK is concerned?

Thanks!

PaperPusher
Respected Guru

Post by PaperPusher » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:16 am

It doesn't work like this: move - get a job - become a British citizen.

Tier 2 may be the route for you, but for that you need sponsorship, and to get sponsored no UK/EEA national or settled person is available to do the job.

You need to look at the job market and see what is out there.

Short term you could consider studying in the UK (Tier 4), but that may not get you on a path that leads to settlement and then citizenship.

At the moment graduate unemployment is high, so UK residents and nationals may be competing for jobs you may want.

wunder
Member of Standing

Post by wunder » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:56 am

jackuk778 wrote:Would a degree in a photography related field, like maybe a general visual arts type of degree, be adequate to get a job and qualify for citizenship in the UK?
H-m-m, hello again!
What happened? I thought you could get citizenship by descent?

And to answer your question, it is not - unless you are Annie Leibovitz.

jackuk778
Newly Registered

Post by jackuk778 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:05 am

Thank you to everyone for the advice. I do have a lot more questions. Is there some sort of move to the UK for dummies manual floating around the internet.
PaperPusher wrote:It doesn't work like this: move - get a job - become a British citizen.
Ok, actually I have very little idea about how that works. I was guessing that in order to become a UK citizen I'd need to first obtain a degree and then apply for a job in England and then go through whatever process the government has whereby I have to prove that I have a degree and have employment lined up?

What is the easiest, most common way that American's become UK citizens?

Blackwater1

Post by Blackwater1 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:04 am

Love is forever/at least for 2 yrs in UK because of austerity measures.. :oops: find an EU partner.

jackuk778
Newly Registered

Post by jackuk778 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:29 pm

Blackwater1 wrote:Love is forever/at least for 2 yrs in UK because of austerity measures.. :oops: find an EU partner.
I would never marry someone just to get into the UK but let's say I did marry someone who is by coicidence from the EU, but not the UK. Would that make me elligible to live in the UK? Is it easier for someone from the EU to move to the UK then it is for someone from the usa?

ElenaW
Diamond Member

Post by ElenaW » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:55 pm

jackuk778 wrote:
Blackwater1 wrote:Love is forever/at least for 2 yrs in UK because of austerity measures.. :oops: find an EU partner.
I would never marry someone just to get into the UK but let's say I did marry someone who is by coicidence from the EU, but not the UK. Would that make me elligible to live in the UK? Is it easier for someone from the EU to move to the UK then it is for someone from the usa?
Yes and yes.