ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

british passport for child born in uk

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

sunning27
Newly Registered

british passport for child born in uk

Post by sunning27 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:13 pm

Hi,

I would like to find out if a child was born in the UK and the parents get ILR later on, will the child be able to apply for British passport straight away with the ILR status or do they have to apply for natuarilisation first before they can get a passport ( which is about £500 to £600)?

If the parents get ILR and have been living in the UK for over 5 to 10 years legally, do the parents have to wait for another year before they apply for naturalisation or they can apply straight away since they have been in the UK for over 5 to 10 years.

Thanks.

Ning

boloney

Re: british passport for child born in uk

Post by boloney » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:47 pm

sunning27 wrote:Hi,

I would like to find out if a child was born in the UK and the parents get ILR later on, will the child be able to apply for British passport straight away with the ILR status or do they have to apply for natuarilisation first before they can get a passport ( which is about £500 to £600)?

If the parents get ILR and have been living in the UK for over 5 to 10 years legally, do the parents have to wait for another year before they apply for naturalisation or they can apply straight away since they have been in the UK for over 5 to 10 years.

Thanks.

Ning
child have to be registered as British citizen,form mn1

BJ21

Post by BJ21 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:12 pm

Thanks.

Ning
Hi
As your child born before your ILR status so you can't apply for his/her british passport staight away,

children born in the UK where a parent obtains British citizenship or indefinite leave to remain (ILR) after the child is born, need apply under Section 3(1) on MN1 form for his/her British Citizenship,

Nationality registration (Single Minor) fee £500

i think you need to wait one year, because To demonstrate the residential requirements for naturalisation, you must have been resident in the UK for at least five years, including one year ILR.

Regards

gg234

Post by gg234 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:42 pm

children born in the UK where a parent obtains British citizenship - This statement seems to be wrong

If one parent is having British citizenship and baby born in UK you can apply for british passport because baby becomes British citizen by descent

BJ21 wrote:

Thanks.

Ning
Hi
As your child born before your ILR status so you can't apply for his/her british passport staight away,

children born in the UK where a parent obtains British citizenship or indefinite leave to remain (ILR) after the child is born, need apply under Section 3(1) on MN1 form for his/her British Citizenship,

Nationality registration (Single Minor) fee £500

i think you need to wait one year, because To demonstrate the residential requirements for naturalisation, you must have been resident in the UK for at least five years, including one year ILR.

Regards

sunning27
Newly Registered

Post by sunning27 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:57 pm

Hi,

I am confused here. If the child was born in the UK. The parents get IRL ( settlement , not british citizen yet ) in the UK years after the child was born. will the child automatically be able to apply for a british passport? ( I know the parents can't ) Or the child and the parents have to apply for naturalisation together before all of them can apply for a british passport?

Thanks.

BJ21

Post by BJ21 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:33 pm

I am confused here. If the child was born in the UK. The parents get IRL ( settlement , not british citizen yet ) in the UK years after the child was born. will the child automatically be able to apply for a british passport? ( I know the parents can't ) Or the child and the parents have to apply for naturalisation together before all of them can apply for a british passport?

Thanks.
hi

as you say you and your partner got ILR after born of your child, so neither you or your partner was the permanent resident or british citizen during that time, so you need to apply under Section 3(1) on MN1 form for his/her British Citizenship by law.

me and my partner got ILR after born of our child, i did the same things as i wrote here. my child got British Citizenship in 2008 under Section 3(1) and we applied 2010 and got British Citizenship. :D

so if you want you can apply british citizenship for your child straight way. :)