ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Fiance visa switching to FLR(M) doubt.

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

joeySeven
Newly Registered

Fiance visa switching to FLR(M) doubt.

Post by joeySeven » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:36 pm

Hi,
I am a non-EU married to an EU. I am applying from outside UK to get married and settle in UK .

I am wondering, can I get exemptions from taking the English language test to switch my fiance visa to spouse? I had my fiance visa granted before the English Test requirement. Now I am in UK and had registered my marriage. Do I still need to take the test to switch to FLR(M) spouse visa?

Or is it better to apply as family member residence stamp (FMRS) since my husband is an EU registered to the Worker Registration Scheme? It is free and does not require English test.

Any advice will be great help. Thanks in advance.

Sharing my experience here.:
Honestly, I regret taking the UK route to settle in UK since I have the option to use EU law. To apply for fiance visa entry clearance had cost us £650 and to switch to FLR(M) later had cost another £800.

If I get married and applied for spouse visa from my home country back then, I just need to pay £650 for spouse settlement with work permit and no hassle to take English test nor paying another £800 pound just to switch visa to have work permit. Or I can just use the EU route where is all free?.

Somehow I feel Fiance visa is useless. Definitely after you registered your marriage, you will extend your stay. If not then I would had apply for Visitor Marriage visa instead. Both fiance visa and spouse settlement objective is the same; that is to stay with your wife/husband in UK. I just feel being charge twice by UKBA. :(

Just to register my marriage here, first I need to pay the fiance visa entry clearance fees of £650 and about £200 for registrations and certificates. I say get married +honeymoon in your favourite destination then apply for VAF4A - Settlement . If both of you are working professional with decent income, I believe this will help to ease your application.

six