ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Another Stupid Visa Question

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Another Stupid Visa Question

Post by Wanderer » Tue May 23, 2006 12:58 pm

Again, not for me, we're already fully visa'd up till Oct 2008 at least, but this from folks in a similar sitch to what I was, and my advice is being questioned, propable rightly, I'm no expert, although I do actually have a Law Degree! Anyway:

We're talking student visas, periods and courses and work allowed.

I maintain there are basically two visas here:

1. Student Visa - Proper Degree Level Course, two years or more, expensive! Allowed to work

2. Short Term Student visa - six months for language type courses, no work, cheap, we all know abused, two week course, six month visa - who knows what happens during those five and half months

Now I get folks telling me about getting a visa for a longer term language-type course, full year or more, course quite cheap as low as 1.5k pa, visa for year, ability to work.

Whats the score? Are these guys dreaming?

Just checking here before I spout off there!

Steve

mhunjn

Post by mhunjn » Tue May 23, 2006 3:43 pm

Not sure, but could it be one the 'shops' in london who give you a admission letter for about £1k or so... and don't require you to attend at all?
Generally the said letter is good enough for the visa extensions etc.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Tue May 23, 2006 3:51 pm

mhunjn wrote:Not sure, but could it be one the 'shops' in london who give you a admission letter for about £1k or so... and don't require you to attend at all?
Generally the said letter is good enough for the visa extensions etc.
Don't think it's that. To be honest I do think these are bone-fide ones, in the North. It's the visa part I was wondering about really, basically can you get a visa for these courses that aren't degree courses and that allows work?

I thought degree or degree level = long term student visa with work if not six month student visa no work.

Steve