ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Work Permit overstay after Visa expired

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

yeeha
Newly Registered

Work Permit overstay after Visa expired

Post by yeeha » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:31 pm

I am currently a ‘Work Permit’ holder (old Work Permit, not Tier 2) which will be expired by the end of January 2011. For some reason, I need to stay for another few more days (about 10 days) in the UK after my Work Permit expired, after then I will go back to my country for good. Please could someone advice me if this is possible for me to extend my stay. I understand that for Tier 2, they do ‘3 years + 1 month stay’. I am not sure about the ‘old’ Work Permit rule, can I apply for additional '1 month stay' after my visa has expired?

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:37 pm

I believe you have a window of 28 days after expiry in which to leave, but wait for formal confirmation.

PaperPusher
Respected Guru

Post by PaperPusher » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:27 am

There is no window of 28 days, overstaying is overstaying full stop. The 28 days may have been a packing up time concession in the distant past (according to MacDonald's Law) but the only modern trace AFAIK is that there is no mandatory entry clearance refusal if you overstay by less than 28 days.

For Work Permit holders the expiry date on the vignette is the date you should leave the UK by. This is the same for Tier 2 people too.