ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR Success Glasgow 06/01/2011

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

AzimScot

ILR Success Glasgow 06/01/2011

Post by AzimScot » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:50 am

Hi Guys,

I want to share my experiences of my success yesterday at the Glasgow office.

I just like to warn people of postal applications as they are inconvenient and it’s not worth you sending essential documents which in the end not exaggerating can cause a marriage fight and tensions within family as well as lost documents unrecoverable.

Night before we vigorously checked our application forms and documents I strongly advice you do triple check your docs and also get someone else to check them as we checked them many times then we found 1 page missing! and 1 box unticked. I am unsure if the officer lets you know and make amendments when your there.

So, we set off an hour early giving that it’s only a 10 mins drive. We found parking in a residential area not on that road as it was quite busy. It took us 10 mins to get there lucky we bumped into a security guard at the gates picking up cones for cars to get by staff car park. And told him where reception is for ILR applications and lucky he told us its the 3rd small building near the end as we would of been confused and ask 3 different people 1 by 1. So we got to the doors and was early and was told by the booking agent not to go in more than 30 mins before appointment so we waited and then security guard came out and said what are you doing waiting there come on in. So, we were told to remove any jewelry, mobile phones switched off gave us 2 plastic tubs to put them into and gave us a token number and told us we would get it back when we leave just keep your token number.

Security asked for ID passport or driver’s license now what I would of done if I know if keep it physically on me rather than keep you and your partners separately as security looked strange why I had no ID on me rather than my partner giving me ID seems fine with me but not them.

We then got told to remove any metal coins, badges, jewelry before going through the metal detector I had 5p coin in my pocket and I got through without detection! My wife the alarm sounded as she had jewelry on which she WASNT asked to remove also they don’t put their hands on you to search. They use a hand metal detector too after the bigger machine if the alarm sounds. I was surprised they never asked for a booking ref number after getting several txt messages about the appointment and to quote it.

They gave directions to the reception window when we went in it was PACKED couldn’t find a seat! Must of been because it was Christmas and New Year with no appointment’s. The place was crawling with kids shouting and screaming and people looking tense bored asleep much like an airport with a delayed plane. So, we went to the counter window and the nice lady was friendly and we told her we had an appointment and out names were so and so and she DIDNT ask us for a booking ref number either she said were quite busy today so I will come and give you a token number.

Our appointment was delayed by 30 mins and she came after 30 mins to give token we waited 45 mins to be called by the voice above and they also have LCD screens airport like to tell your ticket number and counter number to go to.

So, after much wait wondering if we would spend the night here and sitting next to a girl who kept asking us why they taking so long we were called. The seats at the counter are bad and they are chained! So u need to basically hop over the chain and watch you don’t fall over or gets caught with you bag!

So, my wife sat left and me right as she was the applicant I thought she would get majority of questions how wrong was I! It started friendly and told him we live 10 mins down the road turns out he used to live further down the street a few years ago!

I think he asked me majority of questions as I had the local accent and also good English. My wife was shocked as so was I after it as you would imagine the applicant would be asked all the questions, but I think it’s how the person feels on the day!

So, we were about to open our large zip folder when the officer said just give us the whole folder that was nice of him to check the documents we had rather than ourselves as we would of made a huge mess.

Before he opened the folder to check our documents he explained the criteria the home office requires to get ILR if I can remember it was maintence and accommodation was a big one, life in the UK test letter, 6 letters joint or single spanning over the last 2 years my jaw dropped! From both of you! He asked us do you pay rent/mortgage we lived with parents and my mind went zero. He said do you have a letter from your parents that they give you permission to live there after dithering I said I think so. It was there it was the first thing he looked at over anything else! And my parents mortgage statement and bank statement which were online statements not originals or certified! Which had me terrified. So, he looked through the income and asked me how much we paid in mortgage, interest only or fixed was terrified I said it’s on the statement as my parents deal with that. I told them we paid x amount per month like rent to help out on bills. Then next he was impressed by the number of documents my wife had but unimpressed with my documents as they were less and only last years and not the previous 2-3 years! We luckily included a doctors letter by the NHS back in 2009 which helped enormously I would personally take every document you have to them as the most unlikely document will see you through.

He hardly looked through the application form just a skim through and he seemed more interested in the page numbers?? He separated all docs out especially employers letter, passports, life in the UK test, my wage slips and bank statements. Know what your submitting he asked if I had such and such asked what documents I had from 2 years ago!

So, he finally said I am happy with the documents but I don’t make the final decision its gets passed on to another caseworker who makes the decision based on what I have submitted so he told us to wait 10-15 mins and come back so he could see if he could submit any stronger docs we had.

Called back after 15 mins and told us everything seems okay think they checked the application form thoroughly now and said if we would like you submit any further docs we feel is necessary I thought I had nothing else but I would check again said that if the documents come back or need more we would get a refund and they would make another appointment!

So gave us the payment page back and we took in to the payment counter last counter and they have a computer/payment glitch I was like oh no this is not gonna be our day! Especially, as we wanted to make a debit card payment! We had to wait 15 mins standing and wondering and worrying then there was a Muslim lady working alongside learning the ropes they took the payment page and wrote a reference number on the top of it and asked for debit card she hardly looked at the page and put it through for processing usual pin enter no problems printed off 2 receipts and we went back to our counter and gave the page and receipts he said it will take about 1 hour to get back to us it took 2 hrs 30 mins and it was the worst time ever we were so tense and worried that we didn’t have the sufficient documents that we would have to come back and that my parents mobile phone are always off and they are asleep! Make sure if your living with your parents or relatives or friends to keep their mobiles on and tell them they may get a call from immigration to confirm they are living at that address, how there related to you.

So, after 2 and a half hours of tense waiting and praying our number came up on the voice and lcd screen we were called to another counter than original one and another person as we passed the original caseworker which I was really nervous now and the lady didn’t look too happy we sat down and she said I had some information for you gave us a letter I quickly sensed were not getting it until I glanced over to the right and said oh there the badge! It looks strange but has the shiny silver hologram on it I was shocked literally shocked. Then she gave us our documents back and the letter the letter stated we are returning your documents and extending your stay?? What did this mean so vague?? And gave us our passports at the end and said is this ILR lol! Yes, it’s indefinite I was like a residence permit is that was it usually says! I was looking for an expiry date I was like how long is this for ferrying back to the letter she was like indefinite. We got it we got it couldn’t believe it and we walked down the isle of desks in delight and everyone else faces lite up! I almost forgot my PASSPORT it was still lying at the desk! Dumbed and confused don’t know how we got it but God works in mysterious ways we got there in the end I said to the others waiting good luck hope it works out for you guys.

So we left and the security guard first thing he said was are you’s coming back I said hell no were off to celebrate. Gave the token back and got our mobile back soon as we left the office turned on my mobile I get 10-15 txt messages about my ILR appointment booking reference lol

In the end we left after 3 and a half hours and it was a relief to finally to get it all done especially after the home office rejected our postal application and lost half my documents and we had 2 days to go till spouse visa expired!

So, I took an hour to write this! And hope this will come in handy for everyone if they apply in the same situation as me. Please take documents dating back 2-3 years if possible and let your parents, relatives, friends know if you live with them keep their mobiles phones on. Also, the letter from your parents, relatives, friend your living with in my opinion is more important than passport and application form.

Thank you for reading and feel free to comment ï

rajathwp

Many Congrats !!

Post by rajathwp » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:04 pm

Many Congrats Mate ... I reckon that's the best gift from GOD to you in New Year ... Enjoy to the fullest !!

ice.blade
Newly Registered

Post by ice.blade » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:16 pm

Congratulations... and thank you for spending time to write down your story. Such stories help lot of people including myself. i have appointment this month end... and preparing all documents.
can you please shed some light on what documents I should be very very particular about???

brummie

Post by brummie » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:08 pm

many congratulations.

AzimScot

Post by AzimScot » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:45 am

ice blade take everything i know it seems a big task i seen a guy with his suitcase probs full of documets!

Everything which cancels out making another appoitment just spending more time at the centre looking for the right document you may find another doc that covers it take everything.

rajathwp

Hi Azim

Post by rajathwp » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:35 pm

Hi Azim,

Just wondering how did you manage to book an appointment just 2 days before Visa Expire. Any tips would be grateful ...Ta

rajathwp

Can you Explain Please

Post by rajathwp » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:44 pm

Azim,

Pardon - Can you explain please "6 letters joint or single spanning over the last 2 years my jaw dropped!".

I was intending to take P60 of last 4 Years. I reckon now i should take more documents to cover last 2 years. Which Documents did you carry to cover last 2 years ..Ta

AzimScot

Post by AzimScot » Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:00 am

call up everyday and ask for appoitment availability as people cancel them and spaces become available.

They want to see a letters dated with single or joint name from Jan 2009, June 2009, December 2009 plus Jan 2010, Jun 2010, December 2010 to prove that they were no breaks with your stay in the UK this was the first thing they look at! well in my experience.

Just take all your documents last few years they will search through them and see which ones hold out the strongest it means they cant come back to you and say you dont have xyz just tell them i dont have any more documents you have them all here.

lumera
- thin ice -

Post by lumera » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:40 am

AzimScot wrote:call up everyday and ask for appoitment availability as people cancel them and spaces become available.

They want to see a letters dated with single or joint name from Jan 2009, June 2009, December 2009 plus Jan 2010, Jun 2010, December 2010 to prove that they were no breaks with your stay in the UK this was the first thing they look at! well in my experience.

Just take all your documents last few years they will search through them and see which ones hold out the strongest it means they cant come back to you and say you dont have xyz just tell them i dont have any more documents you have them all here.
So happy for you now... felt really sorry the way your postal application was handled...Really, this country has changed. The postal application used to be very reliable...

The love for more money is causing service failures at UKBA!

rajathwp

Many Thanks Azim

Post by rajathwp » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:24 am

Hi Azim,

Many Thanks for swift response. You mentioned call them everyday but my understanding is they don't take any appointments over phone.

Please correct me if i am wrong. Ta

aa123

Post by aa123 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:12 pm

Postal application is reliable just that Azim had a bad experience.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:33 pm

I agree. The majority of applications are actually applied for by post. Only apply in person if you have a straightforward application.

Natita

Re: Many Thanks Azim

Post by Natita » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:09 pm

[quote="rajathwp"]Hi Azim,

Many Thanks for swift response. You mentioned call them everyday but my understanding is they don't take any appointments over phone.

Please correct me if i am wrong. Ta[/quote]

They do take appointments over the phone. I have just done it last week.

rajathwp

To Natita

Post by rajathwp » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:31 pm

Many Thanks Natita ... I will try 0870 606 7766 number tomorrow to book a family appointment ..

Cheers

Natita

Re: To Natita

Post by Natita » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:01 am

rajathwp wrote:Many Thanks Natita ... I will try 0870 606 7766 number tomorrow to book a family appointment ..

Cheers
That's ok, good luck. The beginning of the recorded message might give you the impression that on-line is the only option for booking for PEO, it's not. Another interesting thing which may not apply to you; when I called them the week before I was asked whether I and spouse had already passed Life in UK Test, I told her the truth that I was yet to take the test. The lady said they could not book us appointment as some people do not bother to cancel appointments after they have failed the test. I pointed out that it is inconsistent with the website where we don't have to declare that we have passed the test - she insisted that I pass the test before any booking. I tried again the following week and was not asked about the test results, got the appointment. :)

Sorry moderators if this is off the original topic a bit.

Regards

rajathwp

Indeed Grateful

Post by rajathwp » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:24 am

Indeed Grateful for the inputs as i tried in Dec and after listening to the IVR got the impression No Phone Booking ...

Any other useful tips or query they will ask which i should bear in mind .. Ta

rajathwp

Surpirsed

Post by rajathwp » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:09 am

Different Topic = I am very surprised how come all the appointments can go in 10 Minutes or more as 7th March was not listed online on Friday and today morning i can see but no free slots.

Called Home Office and phone booking is 2 weeks behind the online booking.

Must say really frustrating and annoying ( No Choice Though )

Natita

Post by Natita » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:22 am

Hi rajjathwp,

I have been monitoring the movement on online booking on daily basis for a few weeks and I have an impression that there's a pattern: there was never availability for the week that was newly added - but - slots were gradually (day by day) released for the week that is 3-4 weeks old in the system.

juliajules1979
- thin ice -

Post by juliajules1979 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:49 am

Azimscot Congratulations to you and your wife.
My husband is applying next week and we also live with my parents. Could you tell me what your parents wronte in the letter you provided to Home Office and can you also tell me if they filled in section 11 of the form Set M. My parents onlt let us live there and we pay them money towards to bills, but they dont financially support us as such.
Many thanks

manoj123
United Kingdom

Post by manoj123 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:47 am

guys I am confused now. from Azim's statement "if I can remember it was maintence and accommodation was a big one", do we need to provide proof of maintence funds like we do for Tier-1 application?

I do have regular income coming into the bank. but not huge savings as such.

rajathwp

Many Thanks

Post by rajathwp » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:18 am

Many Thanks for the tips ... Good Luck for your application ...

AzimScot

Post by AzimScot » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:57 pm

Hi guys,

Theres some that say I had a bad experience fair enough but how can you explain they can change the law tomorrow and say 10,000 people applied for ILR today and next week the fee goes up INVALIDATING your application saying your never paid the correct amount how are you meant to KNOW your NOT meant to. I heard the fees are going up in April, May so any application put in now till then could be invalidated as they dont consider your postal application at the time of writing, but consider it at the time of processing!

Stay away from it to be on the say side its £300 more but its the most important application in my opinion you will ever make and these things can lead to tensions in family and divorce I heard and suspicions about if someone is going to get status or not.

I mean what if your pregnant and your refused a visa they lose your documents you cant recover them in time for a extension as u need those documents you could be asked to go back home and apply from their when you do have documents.

Anyway,

The letter should stats both your full passport names, address, postcode, signatures of both parents, dated it also should state the duration you have lived their passed 2 years without any breaks. Take your parents mortgage statement make sure you know how much they pay per month as they ask you, and what type of mortgage and what bank their with if you dont know they gets suspicious and wonder why dont you know OF COURSE ITS NOT YOUR MORTGAGE ITS THEIRS!

Also, a good idea to get last 6 months original statements from parents and highlight them with a marker pen as they struggle and suspect where the bloddy income is coming in.

The most important thing is to include in the letter is a phone number, mobile and tell your parents that they may call between x and x time to ask questions my Dad never answers his mobile! and think he was asleep i was like please dont call, thankfully it was all okay.

By the way dont waste your time on photocopies you dont need them I spent 4 hours scanning and printing my documents they take only the ones they think is the strongest and give you the rest back and photocopy them what a waste of paper and time!

Always have 2 diffrerent methods of payment as well incase their debt card machine breaks as they were having problems and we had to wait 20 mins for them to fix it! A credit card pay by that and transfer the money later on.

juliajules1979
- thin ice -

Post by juliajules1979 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:22 pm

Thanks so much for your reply.
Could you tell me what you said in question 7.2 Do you or your partner, or both, pay any rent or mortgage for your home?

We give my parents around £200 per month, over the course of the month, so we do not have regualry payments coming out of our account to prove on bank statements.
I dont know whether to fill in this section as £200.00 or to leave it blank.

Many thanks.

AzimScot

Post by AzimScot » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:45 am

yes I would put it in but make sure in the letter from your parents add it in that so and so pays so and so each month for rent/mortgage. I didnt in the letter but I think they were looking for it so better safer than sorry in my opinion. Also, tell your parents if they get a call for immigration to tell them they pay so and so whats on the FORM not what they think as they will pick up on it.

juliajules1979
- thin ice -

Post by juliajules1979 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:47 am

Thanks for your advice, I just cant wait for it all to be over!!