ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Am I crazy

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ciaramc

Am I crazy

Post by ciaramc » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:25 am

Sorry a bit off topic....but well here goes...I have been away from Ireland almost 10 years....and have wanted to desperately go home the last 5 ....but becasue of job/hubby/visas etc never did.....now I'm on a short contract that expires in March adn am really ready to move home....(had my first child this year so really feeling it being away from the family) My only problem is this blooming Crisis.....no money no jobs etc....every time I ask people for advice they are like I can't tell you what to do.......Do you think I'm mad moving home? I would love to study something in the evening and try start any type of job?? Which will be hard I know? What are your people opinions....and I don't mean give me an Ireland bashing....I want to honest opinions!

Thanks

fatty patty

Re: Am I crazy

Post by fatty patty » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:51 am

Well to be honest ciaramc, things are bad but not bad as they sound...unemployment is around 13% in Spain its nearly 20% (you can argue Spain being big economy and Ireland being small country etc) but still things are not as bad as they sound. You see people are immigrating to Oz/Canada/Middle East you ask most of them are electricians/plumbers/architect (high demand jobs in those countries but not here in Ireland due to construction collapse). I think if you study part-time in the evening and get job during the day even in retail/catering you are sorted + you will be bringing your experience from abroad so not all bad.

Southern_Sky

Post by Southern_Sky » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:26 pm

I agree, things aren't as bad as all the doom-sayers say. Its particular to your field of expertise or the job sector you apply to. As, evident from last years final economic figures... The domestic economy (retail, real-estate, etc) has imploded, but the multinational sector (IT and exports-driven) sector is thriving. In atleast two friends of mine recently voluntarily switched jobs/employers in the last 3 months. So there are opportunities & vacancies out there.

ciaramc

Post by ciaramc » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:34 pm

Thanks Fatty thats what I was thinking....I have loads of experience working for international agency a number of years and I speak another language which is always a plus...it is my dream to study and do something i want and feel this is the time to make a change.....see here in Italy it's always a crisis...the unemployment is terrible....

walrusgumble
BANNED

Post by walrusgumble » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:32 pm

ciaramc wrote:Sorry a bit off topic....but well here goes...I have been away from Ireland almost 10 years....and have wanted to desperately go home the last 5 ....but becasue of job/hubby/visas etc never did.....now I'm on a short contract that expires in March adn am really ready to move home....(had my first child this year so really feeling it being away from the family) My only problem is this blooming Crisis.....no money no jobs etc....every time I ask people for advice they are like I can't tell you what to do.......Do you think I'm mad moving home? I would love to study something in the evening and try start any type of job?? Which will be hard I know? What are your people opinions....and I don't mean give me an Ireland bashing....I want to honest opinions!

Thanks
As your pals say, I can't tell you what to do.....

You seem extremely skilled, a second language (and no, not our beloved Irish). This will naturally help. I would suggest first checking out sites like loadzafjobs.ie (how ironic) FÃ

Irisheddy

Post by Irisheddy » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:44 am

Hi Ciara,
Even if you can't find work the social welfare in ireland is one of the best if not The best in the world. If you have a child you will get even more.

ciaramc

Post by ciaramc » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:44 am

Thanks Irisheddy but not much help to me....I plan on working have never signed on and hopefully won't have to in the future! (Not that I've anything against it)

walrusgumble
BANNED

Post by walrusgumble » Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:29 pm

Irisheddy wrote:Hi Ciara,
Even if you can't find work the social welfare in ireland is one of the best if not The best in the world. If you have a child you will get even more.
That might not last too long

Wisco

Post by Wisco » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:17 am

As far as I'm aware, you have to have been resident in Ireland to get social welfare anyway. Think I read about some Irish expats coming home and not being able to sign on becuase they were out of the country for so long.

Aceform
Member of Standing

Post by Aceform » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:31 am

ciaramc wrote:Sorry a bit off topic....but well here goes...I have been away from Ireland almost 10 years....and have wanted to desperately go home the last 5 ....but becasue of job/hubby/visas etc never did.....now I'm on a short contract that expires in March adn am really ready to move home....(had my first child this year so really feeling it being away from the family) My only problem is this blooming Crisis.....no money no jobs etc....every time I ask people for advice they are like I can't tell you what to do.......Do you think I'm mad moving home? I would love to study something in the evening and try start any type of job?? Which will be hard I know? What are your people opinions....and I don't mean give me an Ireland bashing....I want to honest opinions!

Thanks
Ciara,

Market is still good in IT sector. I've seen so many people changing jobs and many people getting jobs.

If you have some IT experience, then it shouldn't be a problem. Alternatively if you can do some IT related course, then you should land a job easily.

Don't know if that interests you. But just my opinion.

Cheers,
Ace

ciaramc

Post by ciaramc » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:48 am

Ace it actually does....can you recommend any starter courses? I would like to go back and study in evening...but obviously I will have to find a job asap??? I have been looking at some courses to do but not sure? Any reccommendations? Online ones? Or evening when I head back....for now I would be looking a t online ones? I checked out CMIT? Know it?

Aceform
Member of Standing

Post by Aceform » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:43 pm

ciaramc wrote:Ace it actually does....can you recommend any starter courses? I would like to go back and study in evening...but obviously I will have to find a job asap??? I have been looking at some courses to do but not sure? Any reccommendations? Online ones? Or evening when I head back....for now I would be looking a t online ones? I checked out CMIT? Know it?
QA/Testing/Networking are hot topics. Had seen an ad recently for a CCNA course which leads to Certification. Don't know if they have any online courses, will try to get some details for you.

ciaramc

Post by ciaramc » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:45 pm

Thanks Ace appreciate it!

Aceform
Member of Standing

Post by Aceform » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:53 pm

Hi Ciara,

Had a look at the advert in the newspaper last week. The course was on Networking, which leads to CCNA certification. You can have a look at their website (new horizons : http://www.newhorizonsireland.ie/localweb/)

They seem to have some online courses.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Ace

jhbmike

Post by jhbmike » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:00 am

Things not that bad???????????? According to the State's economic think-tank emmigration is now the worst in the history of the state. Take a look at this article published in the Irish Independent today.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news ... 03543.html

walrusgumble
BANNED

Post by walrusgumble » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:11 pm

jhbmike wrote:Things not that bad???????????? According to the State's economic think-tank emmigration is now the worst in the history of the state. Take a look at this article published in the Irish Independent today.

The country's population soared in the last decade with a substantial proportion being non irish nationals, unlike the last emmigration crisis' and many are leaving now. Obviously, many leaving now are Irish, like before, but you can't really compare the last events to this. Also the fact that business and corporation firms are settled attractions, few or none of which were existant in those days. Yes there are emmigration problems, but that media stuff is scare mongoring.

What the posters are saying, is that other industries, ones which they are qualified for, are not being hit as bad as say law or construction or retail. That in fact there is a resurgence in the IT field and manufacturing

jhbmike

Post by jhbmike » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:10 pm

walrusgumble wrote:
jhbmike wrote:Things not that bad???????????? According to the State's economic think-tank emmigration is now the worst in the history of the state. Take a look at this article published in the Irish Independent today.

The country's population soared in the last decade with a substantial proportion being non irish nationals, unlike the last emmigration crisis' and many are leaving now. Obviously, many leaving now are Irish, like before, but you can't really compare the last events to this. Also the fact that business and corporation firms are settled attractions, few or none of which were existant in those days. Yes there are emmigration problems, but that media stuff is scare mongoring.

What the posters are saying, is that other industries, ones which they are qualified for, are not being hit as bad as say law or construction or retail. That in fact there is a resurgence in the IT field and manufacturing
Would Dell and IBM fall into one of those resurgent categories??

jhbmike

Post by jhbmike » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:21 pm

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/fin ... 32516.html

Article that sums up the main business events for 2010.

fatty patty

Post by fatty patty » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:33 pm

over 8 pages of jobs...

(IT)

http://www.jobs.ie/Jobs.aspx?Categories ... &Keywords=

nearly 3 pages in which half offered in developing countries

(Manual Trades)

and thats just one website.

Dell/IBM move were manufacturing division moves to cut cost...the resurgence is in Quality control, software development, games development, testing, networks, IT consultancy, cloud computing etc (non IT manufacturing), food exports (especially local produces cooked non cooked) etc.

jhbmike

Post by jhbmike » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:23 am

fatty patty wrote:over 8 pages of jobs...

(IT)

nearly 3 pages in which half offered in developing countries

(Manual Trades)

and thats just one website.

Dell/IBM move were manufacturing division moves to cut cost...the resurgence is in Quality control, software development, games development, testing, networks, IT consultancy, cloud computing etc (non IT manufacturing), food exports (especially local produces cooked non cooked) etc.
Monsterjobs, Irishjobs, jobs. ie, Most agencies repeat advertisments on all major recruitment sites so as to reach the maximum number of candidates possible. Here is a link to infojobs. net in Spain advertising 13 pages of vacancies in it, however most you would need to speak Spanish and thats just one website.

http://www.infojobs.net/jobsearch/searc ... list.xhtml

I believe you when you say that the IT sector is doing better than others. All im saying is that things are tough in Ireland at the moment. if you are already settled there and have the contacts, expertise and experience in this field then sure maybe life is a little easier for you than for others in different sectors.

I think that it would be quite difficult at this time to set up sticks in Ireland. Ciaramc might be able to find a job quite easily but is her husband in the IT field. If not then would it not be tough for him to get a job.

Also another thing to consider is childcare costs in Ireland. I know that I was paying over a grand to put my son into daycare. These costs have not come down.

Also Ciara I know that you stated that you wouldnt want to go onto benefits and that you would want to find a job asap. Sometimes its good to have this safety net as the possibility of being unemployed short term would be a good probability as you would first need to get settled and look for a job. This too might be a hurdle.........
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ire ... 80231.html

I apologise that I am sounding rather pessimistic and have only stated the negative factors. Im sure that there are plenty of positive reasons for going back to Ireland as well eg Youre friends and family.

Anyway Ciaramc if you do decide to go I wish you and youre family the best of luck.