ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Medical cover for EU spouse?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ciaramc

Medical cover for EU spouse?

Post by ciaramc » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:08 pm

Can anyone let me know where to get good medical cover for my husband non-eu we will probably get private medical cover in Ireland with Vh*/Aviv*/Qu*nn but wondered what insurance other people took out when moving to Ireland?

victor8600

Re: Medical cover for EU spouse?

Post by victor8600 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:23 pm

ciaramc wrote:... wondered what insurance other people took out when moving to Ireland?
None (since I was relatively young with no known health problems).
All your base are belong to us

Monifé

Post by Monifé » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:34 pm

When we first applied for EU1, I was a student, so we needed health insurance.

We just got the cheapest possible one from VHI. Then cancelled it when I got a job.
beloved is the enemy of freedom, and deserves to be met head-on and stamped out - Pierre Berton

Wisco

Post by Wisco » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:52 pm

I found Quinn to be cheapest, although I haven't had to find out whether I like their coverage or not as, fortunately, I haven't had to use it. Just spend a lot of time checking your options online and you should find something reasonable enough.

ciaramc

Post by ciaramc » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:11 pm

Thanks I had thought it was a condition when applying under treaty rights???

Anyway my hubby has his European medical card previously E111 .....but thought it would be good to have medical coverage!

walrusgumble
BANNED

Post by walrusgumble » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:19 pm

ciaramc wrote:Thanks I had thought it was a condition when applying under treaty rights???

Anyway my hubby has his European medical card previously E111 .....but thought it would be good to have medical coverage!
Just get it when applying, keep the authorities quiet. Hopefully you will never need it, what you do afterwards, i would not blame you if you cancel. Shop around. (jesus any one with sense would, if health allowed, would rush off home to get their medical attention than risk the gombs in the HSE, please note, that in no way refers to the medical staff, who, are not incompetent etc)

ciaramc

Post by ciaramc » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:22 pm

We have freemedical where we are now! And never use it!

walrusgumble
BANNED

Post by walrusgumble » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:36 pm

ciaramc wrote:We have freemedical where we are now! And never use it!
from another thread, both of ye are European aren't ye? you are Irish? ah, I would chance not getting it then for now, ye have enough on yer plate.

Does any family, all EU's actually bother registering with the department for their EU cards. Despite what the laws say, i thought many don't bother. Won't your hubby's card apply here? I remember hearing about these cards aren't they European wide cards or just apply to the country you are in?

by the way, its not explicit that you actually have to have meds etc if you are a worker or self employed. naturally many do. ok its need for students and self sufficient. If you were Irish, and although you could still use EU law as you are returning, you could fall under normal Irish law (ie they cant tell you to go) is hubby an eu?

ciaramc

Post by ciaramc » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:47 pm

Wals...I'm EU(Irish) exercising treaty rights in Italy 10 years, married 5 have a child together and my husband is non EU holds a 5 year residence card for Italy....we applied under EU law for his entrance visa....they tried to make us apply under Irish law...I refused argued with them...sent case law got Solvit envolved and they then issued EU spouse visa....so I'm a happy camper....wishful thinking that the other half is eU...I would never bother with any of these feckers if he was....

fatty patty

Post by fatty patty » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:43 am

ciaramc wrote:Thanks I had thought it was a condition when applying under treaty rights???

But isn't that one called EHIC now...i think that one works all over EU, but only when you are traveling on holidays/short term in EU and becomes ill. What you would be looking for is probably a long term health insurance here in Ireland. If you have Italian EHIC then this means you are covered in Ireland on temp basis, so take your time and shop around finding suitable provider, VHI prices going over the roof...which leave us with the best insurer....the HSE :wink:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_H ... rance_Card