ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Transferring away from Tier 2

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

dawnleipold
Newly Registered

Transferring away from Tier 2

Post by dawnleipold » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:32 pm

Hi all,

I've been in the UK since 2008, currently on Tier 2 General. I'm interested in changing over to either a Tier 1 or a Tier 1 dependent. I have two sets of questions:

(1) Can I switch from a Tier 2 to a Tier 1 from within the UK? If I need to return home (US), can I assume this process would be subjected to the new rules restricting Tier 1 applications from outside of the UK, and therefore the T2 --> T1 switch can't be done?

(2) If I switch from Tier 2 to Tier 1 Dependent (partner is currently on Tier 1 General), will I also need to return home and again, are there restrictions on this as well?

Just trying to weigh up some options once my contract expires and therefore, possibly my Tier 2. Really appreciate you guys taking the time to help me out!

Kind Regards,
dawn

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:20 pm

You can switch from tier 2 to tier 1 as the main applicant in the UK. You can't apply for Tier 1 as the main applicant from abroad as this route is now closed.

You can't switch to Tier 1 dependent in country. However you can apply for Tier 1 dependent from abroad because your partner is already here under Tier 1 so the closure of Tier 1 from abroad doesn't affect you.

Obviously whether or not will suceed depends on whether you meet the other requirements of the respective rules.

dawnleipold
Newly Registered

Post by dawnleipold » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:32 pm

That's great - thank you so very much for your help!