ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

not taking an offer

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

teknikalty
Newly Registered

not taking an offer

Post by teknikalty » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:13 pm

I got an offer from a company based in manchester... the company is a small company. i signed the offer letter and sent it back to them.. they were only paying 24k for a software tester position...

i initially thought i would take it... but eventually decided it wont be enough and so decided to stay on without a job because staying with that company means i cannot extend my visa anyway...

the offer was in their letter head... i signed and sent it back.. but now i have written them saying i am not going to take the oppty...

am i under the lens of law to take the offer? i know rescinding a contract is bad in the US... how are the rules in the UK ? can the company take legal action against me? the offer was only a letter head paper that i signed...

its a networking company and for that 24k i had to go through 5 rounds of interview and still its a very very small company... shows the state of this country's job scene... any views on my problem?

NeoZ

Re: not taking an offer

Post by NeoZ » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:44 pm

teknikalty wrote:I got an offer from a company based in manchester... the company is a small company. i signed the offer letter and sent it back to them.. they were only paying 24k for a software tester position...

i initially thought i would take it... but eventually decided it wont be enough and so decided to stay on without a job because staying with that company means i cannot extend my visa anyway...

the offer was in their letter head... i signed and sent it back.. but now i have written them saying i am not going to take the oppty...

am i under the lens of law to take the offer? i know rescinding a contract is bad in the US... how are the rules in the UK ? can the company take legal action against me? the offer was only a letter head paper that i signed...

its a networking company and for that 24k i had to go through 5 rounds of interview and still its a very very small company... shows the state of this country's job scene... any views on my problem?
If by offer on LetterHead you mean 'employment contract' then the best thing is to get in touch with company and sort it out. Each contract has a exit clause which works both ways.

Legal action against you, technically yes, in reality no.

and yes, 24K is average salary and with the job scene as it is, you should consider yourself lucky. (especially in IT sector)

kenfrapin

Post by kenfrapin » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:37 pm

There should not be ANY problem if you contact them and give a valid reason. To cover yourself, follow it up with an official email with whom you have been in contact at the company.

24k is pittance salary and I applaud you for using your head and not jumping on the job. It does not serve your purpose plus its a below avg salary so you will neither save much when you are here

KP

teknikalty
Newly Registered

thanks

Post by teknikalty » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:18 am

thanks for the suggestion.

rohitktm

Post by rohitktm » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:44 pm

24K in Manchester? I took my job for 25K in london. Manchester is much more cheaper to live. In this scenario when people are not getting jobs, don't be choosy. It took me 6 months to get 25 K job. My suggestion, just take it.

mulderpf
Diamond Member

Post by mulderpf » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:20 am

With £25k, how are you going to score enough points for extension?
Do not send me PM's with specific questions - post question in the open forum so others can also benefit from the answers.

kenfrapin

Post by kenfrapin » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:13 pm

rohitktm wrote:24K in Manchester? I took my job for 25K in london. Manchester is much more cheaper to live. In this scenario when people are not getting jobs, don't be choosy. It took me 6 months to get 25 K job. My suggestion, just take it.
Rohit - you did not read a key part of the OPs message and Wunder has pointed this out as well. There is no way of securing an extension with a £25k job and that is the OPs main requirement.

Agree the market is bad and its good to start off somewhere but the OP's requirement is not similar to yours so that's incorrect advice.

Cheers
KP