ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Info about Money transfer and Overseas Tax

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Luke Persian
Newly Registered

Info about Money transfer and Overseas Tax

Post by Luke Persian » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:43 pm

Hi Everyone,

I'm going to switch my Tier 2 to Tier 1 in Feb, and I'm going to claim points (previous earnings) for a combination of part-time job that I did for a company in Iran and a salaried full-time job here in the UK. I'm going to use my bank statements and a letter from company (from Iran) as proof and here are my two questions:

1- My income from Iranian company was paid via money exchange company as iranian banks can't transfer money directly due to the sanctions. So the entries for the payments does not show the name of the company. Does it matters or it's only the amount and date which is important to correspond to the letter?

2- I had to pay tax for my income in Iran, based on the rules in Iran. so I have gross and net amounts. I'm not sure if I have had to pay tax here in the UK again as I've just found out that there is no double tax agreement between the UK and Iran. If yes, do I need to contact hmrc about this beforehand or I can send it before this tax year? Does the home office cares about tax before making decisions?

Thanks for the help

Luke :)

Natita

Post by Natita » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:52 pm

Hi,

Having just switched from WP to Tier 1 two months ago, while being on assignment in UAE which is tax free country, I think I can share my opinion:

1. It does not need to have company name on transactions as long as the two sources correspond each other.

2. I submitted payslips showing zero tax and no questions asked. I'm positive that you will be ok for Tier 1. But for Naturalisation 'Good Character', you might want to declare it to HMRC which will probably require you to do Self Assessment.

Luke Persian
Newly Registered

Post by Luke Persian » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:49 pm

Thanks Natita for your reply. I was only afraid if there is any inquiry by home office via my national insurance number to see if there is any record for the tax and income.

"Good character" is a good point and I was going to declare it anyway. Do you think it would be any problem in future if I self-declare now for incomes in previous years as one of the (instalments) payments was made in previous year?

Natita

Post by Natita » Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:40 am

if there is any inquiry by home office via my national insurance number to see if there is any record for the tax and income.
I don't see how Home Office could deny Iran income between 6th Apr 2010 and the application date Feb 11 because it is not yet due to be declared and HMRC would therefore not have any record. For income before 6 Apr 2010, I would start processing online tax return now (31st Jan is the deadline I'm sure you know).
Do you think it would be any problem in future if I self-declare now for incomes in previous years as one of the (instalments) payments was made in previous year?
Replied above.

tetis100
Newly Registered

Re: Info about Money transfer and Overseas Tax

Post by tetis100 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:14 am

Luke Persian wrote:Hi Everyone,

I'm going to switch my Tier 2 to Tier 1 in Feb, and I'm going to claim points (previous earnings) for a combination of part-time job that I did for a company in Iran and a salaried full-time job here in the UK. I'm going to use my bank statements and a letter from company (from Iran) as proof and here are my two questions:

1- My income from Iranian company was paid via money exchange company as iranian banks can't transfer money directly due to the sanctions. So the entries for the payments does not show the name of the company. Does it matters or it's only the amount and date which is important to correspond to the letter?

2- I had to pay tax for my income in Iran, based on the rules in Iran. so I have gross and net amounts. I'm not sure if I have had to pay tax here in the UK again as I've just found out that there is no double tax agreement between the UK and Iran. If yes, do I need to contact hmrc about this beforehand or I can send it before this tax year? Does the home office cares about tax before making decisions?

Thanks for the help

Luke :)
Dear Luke Persian
I am from Iran too and I have been granted Tier1 G visa last month but I have not moved yet. I have a question. How will you claim your earning in Iran because the rules in this regard are so tough. You wrote your Iranian job is part time. What sort of job are you going to claim? I need this information because I must plan for my eligibility after 2 years and I must prove some kind of earning in Iran such as income from property rental but http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/worki ... /earnings/ says it is imposable.
Thanks in advance