ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Access to GP/A&E in an emergency (for child visitors to

This is an area for the discussion of matters related to issues about moving from one country to another. Examples could be about money transfer, moving and packing, validity of driving licence, etc..

It is not a general non-immigration, free-for-all area.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

gollywood
Member of Standing

Access to GP/A&E in an emergency (for child visitors to

Post by gollywood » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:39 pm

Hi folks,

Will be having some relatives staying with us from Pakistan this year - a young married couple & their 18 month old / 3 year old children.

Both are healthy, but kids being kids, who would they see if they became ill? For Example: a flu or eye infection?

I'm sure most things can be resolved with a quick visit to the local pharmacy, but things like infections that require antibiotics cannot be resolved over the counter.

Thinking logically, if I was to go abroad where health costs are high, I would take out health insurance, so we spent a week looking into this & couldnt find a single place in Pakistan that offers any holiday type cover.

Ive spoken to a few people who lead me to believe that we would be able to take kids to A&E or a GP in the UK if required, and pay for any prescribed medication - but TBH, I am very confused.

Any advice please? Regards

gollywood
Member of Standing

Post by gollywood » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:41 pm

If its relavant, all visitors will be here on a FAMILY VISA (6 months)

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:33 am

gollywood
Member of Standing

Post by gollywood » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:54 pm

This is where the confusion sets in - they refer to 'discretion' - which I read into if a child was ill, late at night - then they could be seen by A&E or an out of hours type of service?

mulderpf
Diamond Member

Post by mulderpf » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:28 am

I suggest that your relatives also take out some travel insurance to cover themselves.
Do not send me PM's with specific questions - post question in the open forum so others can also benefit from the answers.

Markie

Re: Access to GP/A&E in an emergency (for child visitors

Post by Markie » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:48 pm

if it's an A&E case then they can be treated by local hospital but mind you the rates you will pay will be astronomical! better to get travel insurance...
gollywood wrote:Hi folks,

Will be having some relatives staying with us from Pakistan this year - a young married couple & their 18 month old / 3 year old children.

Both are healthy, but kids being kids, who would they see if they became ill? For Example: a flu or eye infection?

I'm sure most things can be resolved with a quick visit to the local pharmacy, but things like infections that require antibiotics cannot be resolved over the counter.

Thinking logically, if I was to go abroad where health costs are high, I would take out health insurance, so we spent a week looking into this & couldnt find a single place in Pakistan that offers any holiday type cover.

Ive spoken to a few people who lead me to believe that we would be able to take kids to A&E or a GP in the UK if required, and pay for any prescribed medication - but TBH, I am very confused.

Any advice please? Regards

gollywood
Member of Standing

Post by gollywood » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:31 pm

Me again :)

Hopefully they will have sorted out some healthcare insurance soon.

Next step: What is the process involved in making use of the services of a GP once in the UK?

Do you just ring up & make an appointment with ANY GP? Do you have to register? Do you have to pay & claim back fees upon your return etc etc?

Many thanks