ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can Work permit dependant spouse start business legally?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Prince1

Can Work permit dependant spouse start business legally?

Post by Prince1 » Sat May 20, 2006 7:59 am

I know that work permit dependant spouse can work in the Uk, but are they allowed to start their own business legally.... and if you know please refer to the relevant sites to proof this... Thanks.

WoodieG
BANNED

Post by WoodieG » Sat May 20, 2006 8:39 am

Yes they can start their own business.

See question 17
http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/workin ... t_faq.html

"17.I am a work permit holder; can my spouse work in the UK?

The spouse, unmarried partner and children of a work permit holder may be admitted to the United Kingdom as the dependants of a work permit holder. The spouse/unmarried partner will be given conditions of stay, which do not place any restrictions, other than those that would apply to a resident worker, on their taking employment or engaging in business.

Therefore, a dependant of a work permit holder is free to work in the UK as long as the endorsement in their passport places no restriction on their employment here."
________
Dc medical marijuana
Last edited by WoodieG on Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Prince1

Post by Prince1 » Sat May 20, 2006 8:45 am

WoodieG,

Many thanks for your clarification.

hellothere
Newly Registered

Post by hellothere » Thu May 25, 2006 4:10 pm

Hi there

Just another doubt relaetd to this.......

Does the part "...than those that would apply to a resident worker..." mean anything ? I mean a resident worker is not allowed to engage in business if he is on a work permit. Does this mean that spouse is also not allowed to do business but be employed.........

{I guess self-employment is also employment ;-) }

Sorry if I am being too careful.....just want to make sure that there is nothing illegal in spouse doing a small business....

Cheers,
AV

sameds
Newly Registered

Post by sameds » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:48 pm

hellothere wrote:Hi there

Just another doubt relaetd to this.......

Does the part "...than those that would apply to a resident worker..." mean anything ? I mean a resident worker is not allowed to engage in business if he is on a work permit. Does this mean that spouse is also not allowed to do business but be employed.........

{I guess self-employment is also employment ;-) }

Sorry if I am being too careful.....just want to make sure that there is nothing illegal in spouse doing a small business....

Cheers,
AV

sorry for digging up an old thread,
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/worki ... ependants/
says ;
Dependants

A dependant is a wife, husband, civil partner, same-sex partner, unmarried partner or child under the age of 18 years. A work permit holder's dependants may be admitted to the UK. They will be given conditions of stay which do not place any restrictions, other than those that would apply to a resident worker, on employment or engaging in business. This normally applies when a dependant is granted more than 6 months' leave. If they are granted less than 6 months' leave, they will not normally be allowed to take up employment. Any dependant children over 18 years old should apply on a separate form and pay the appropriate fee. If you are overseas, you should see the visa services website for further information on how to do this.

sorry me too not sure about the bit "other than those that would apply to a resident worker, on employment or engaging in business" means. does it mean the dependant cannot engage in a business ? could anyone shed some light please?

many thanks.

sameds
Newly Registered

Post by sameds » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:11 am

anyone please ? :?