ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Will a few days really matter?

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

new_to_it_all

Will a few days really matter?

Post by new_to_it_all » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:58 am

Sorry to ask a widely asked question, and maybe the answer is already somewhere here.

I finally received my visa, stamped 3rd Jan 2011 instead of 15th Jan 2011 that I asked for.

I was planning to travel to UK within the 28 days from 15th Jan but now this time has been cut short due to the visa stamped 3rd Jan.

If I travel around 12th/13 Feb do you think it would hugely affect my case when I finally come to ILR stage (thats if all this still exists in 5 years time : :(

mulderpf
Diamond Member

Post by mulderpf » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:22 am

By only travelling 28 days from you visa validity date, you would have risked falling short for ILR any way. All this would mean is that you definitely will have to apply for two extensions. The problem though is that you'll have to apply for a second extension because of being 10 days short!!!

But other than that, it shouldn't negatively affect your ILR.
Do not send me PM's with specific questions - post question in the open forum so others can also benefit from the answers.

T1_Mainframe

Post by T1_Mainframe » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:24 pm

I would always suggest to travel asap, always less than 28 days from visa start date. If you plan settle (ILR) in UK in then Yes otherwise travel whenever you like.

Otherwise, You will have to apply for second extension to meet 5 years requirement. Cost of extension is approx 1000 GBP, you never know then you would have dependnets too.

new_to_it_all

Post by new_to_it_all » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:36 pm

Thank You Mulderpf and T1 for your, as ever, remarkable knowledge and solutions.

Am I correct in believing that when i come to apply for my first extension, my earnings should be similar to what I have declared in my original overseas application ie greater than 50k pounds to get the 100 points required and receive the extension permission?

My concerns are as follows:

As the first extension leads to 3 years permission to stay and usually entitlement to ILR, will an ILR application ask for a similar salary declaration and points? I have looked at the forms and it doesnt actually specify how much a person's earnings should be to qualify for ILR, but sufficient to not claim benefits.

If I am short of a few days to apply for ILR and need a second extension will I have to prove the same 100 points as per application and first extension? Or will it simply be an application to extend the few days and get charged for doing so?

:?

wf
Member of Standing

Post by wf » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:53 pm

new_to_it_all wrote: Am I correct in believing that when i come to apply for my first extension, my earnings should be similar to what I have declared in my original overseas application ie greater than 50k pounds to get the 100 points required and receive the extension permission?
Actually you will probably need to earn more, in the case that you get less points for age due to being older. UK Experience points can offset this to some degree.
My concerns are as follows:

As the first extension leads to 3 years permission to stay and usually entitlement to ILR, will an ILR application ask for a similar salary declaration and points?
It has been stated that they are bringing in salary requirements for ILR but there has not been much more detail than that.
If I am short of a few days to apply for ILR and need a second extension will I have to prove the same 100 points as per application and first extension? Or will it simply be an application to extend the few days and get charged for doing so?
Same as for 2nd extension, with proviso as above you may get even less points for age, so require more points for salary. The usual fee is applied, which will no doubt be higher than the last extension due to the 3 years that have passed.

wf
Member of Standing

Post by wf » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:55 pm

Considering the potential cost and hassle of a second extension, I would try and get the date amended (others including me have had this done but usually not that easy), or travel earlier.

mulderpf
Diamond Member

Post by mulderpf » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:01 pm

Note that with extension that the age bands are all 2 years older (at the moment).

So, it's pretty much based on the points when you applied. If you got 20 points for being under 30, extension rules which apply to those applicants mean that you will earn 20 points for being under 32 or to earn the same points for being 35 to 39 in your initial application, would mean that you have to be 37 to 41 in your extension. This would mean that in terms of scoring points for age, you might have a bigger gap than 28 days, but only as far as the gap between your initial visa and your next birthday.

So only if you had a birthday between your visa date and your date of entry, should you start worrying, but even then, due to the sliding scales, you will probably have some leeway.
Do not send me PM's with specific questions - post question in the open forum so others can also benefit from the answers.

wf
Member of Standing

Post by wf » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:40 pm

mulderpf wrote:Note that with extension that the age bands are all 2 years older (at the moment).
Good point, I had overlooked that and had wrongly assumed the age points were the same for initial and extension applications.

Just checked and the same is true for the previous rules where the initial grant period was 3 years - in that case the age bands are 3 years different for the same points.

new_to_it_all

Post by new_to_it_all » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:50 pm

wf wrote:Considering the potential cost and hassle of a second extension, I would try and get the date amended (others including me have had this done but usually not that easy), or travel earlier.
Thanks for the eye openers and things to consider for the future although who knows what is in store in 5 years time. I agree that the age is increased by 2 years for extensions as mulderpf has explained since it is written in the immigration rules.

WF, you suggest a date amendment. In my case the visa was issued so late (as is the case with many Pakistani visas) that it is already 15th January today. By the time I get the passport back it will be another two months :(

I think it would be best to just go to UK earlier rather than later.

But for other readers with same problem, can you say what the procedure of date change is?

wf
Member of Standing

Post by wf » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:08 pm