ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

fall short on 5 years stay on WP

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

jonathan_sugabo
Newly Registered

fall short on 5 years stay on WP

Post by jonathan_sugabo » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:34 am

Hi good day!

I am about to apply for indefinite leave to remain as a work permit holder this coming sept. My problem is I am short 2 days of my 5 years stay. I arrived oct 5 in the country and my visa expires on sept 4.

What is the best thing to do about my problem. the latest date that i can apply is on sept 7 which is my visa expires on the 4th of sept. Will i apply before my visa expires?

thanks

xyz123

Post by xyz123 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:54 pm

on work permit visas i dont think there is any exception allowed and hence you need to get a visa for those 2 days before you can apply for ILR. get your employer to sort your visa out to avoid the gap.

rajathwp

Quick

Post by rajathwp » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:19 pm

Hi,

I arrived on 2nd April 2006 ( though Visa Stamped on 23rd March 2006) and my visa is valid till 23rd March 2011. I reckon i am eligible after 3rd March for ILR. Please correct me if i am wrong.

Cheers

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:32 pm

jonathan_sugabo wrote:Hi good day!

I am about to apply for indefinite leave to remain as a work permit holder this coming sept. My problem is I am short 2 days of my 5 years stay. I arrived oct 5 in the country and my visa expires on sept 4.

What is the best thing to do about my problem. the latest date that i can apply is on sept 7 which is my visa expires on the 4th of sept. Will i apply before my visa expires?

thanks
Were you issued a leave to enter (entry clearance) for 5 years?

regards

jonathan_sugabo
Newly Registered

Post by jonathan_sugabo » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:55 pm

sushdmehta wrote:
jonathan_sugabo wrote:Hi good day!

thanks
Were you issued a leave to enter (entry clearance) for 5 years?

yes i was given 5 years entry clearance. just want to know if this is applicable on my case .

5.2 Applications that fall short of the five year continuous period
In some cases, applicants may have been granted 5 years continuous leave, but will
not have spent 5 years continuously in the UK before their current leave expires.
Caseworkers may count the period between entry clearance being granted and the
date the applicant entered the UK towards the 5 years, provided this period was not
longer than 3 months.

thanks
regards

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:00 am

Yes, that's the reason I asked!

regards

jonathan_sugabo
Newly Registered

Post by jonathan_sugabo » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:05 am

[quote="sushdmehta"]Yes, that's the reason I asked!

regards[/quote

when can I pass my application for ILR? is it before my visa expire? or the 28 days upon entry which by that time my visa already expired?

thanks

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:29 am

You should apply before leave expires and request for consideration of settlement application under the given clause of the IDI.

regards

jonathan_sugabo
Newly Registered

Post by jonathan_sugabo » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:31 am

sushdmehta wrote:You should apply before leave expires and request for consideration of settlement application under the given clause of the IDI.

regards

thanks a lot

Pierrot95

Post by Pierrot95 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:34 pm

Are you sure that these instructions apply to work permit holders?
Tier 2 migrants and work permit holders visas are different, for instance the requirements for settlement of the spouse are not the same.
Can someone confirm that the 5.2 mentioned above applies to work permit holders?

====

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:35 am

Make the ILR application before your leave expires, to preserve your right of appeal.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:16 pm

Pierrot95 wrote:Are you sure that these instructions apply to work permit holders?
Tier 2 migrants and work permit holders visas are different, for instance the requirements for settlement of the spouse are not the same.
Can someone confirm that the 5.2 mentioned above applies to work permit holders?

====
Only WP migrants were issued 5 years' continuous leave (to enter/remain). PBS migrants are issued 2/3 years leave (to enter / remain) in the first instance which they need to extend to complete the 5 years stay in the UK.

regards

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:59 pm

Since this topic is only relevant for people applying for settlement as WP / Tier 2 migrants. posts in this topic submitted by HSMP /Tier 1 migrants have been moved here.

regards

coolguycp1

Post by coolguycp1 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:11 am

@sushdmehta - This is a very important clause that you have brought to the notice of general public here. I have spoken to a lot of work permit holders who are my friends and they are in the same situation as there is a gap in their visa and date of entry of more than 28 days, and they have been told by immigration solicitors that they will need to apply for extension.

Although, it still depends on the caseworker's discretion to apply the clause under IDI, there is no harm in asking for consideration under this clause for settlement application.

Pierrot95

Post by Pierrot95 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:10 pm

sushdmehta wrote:
Pierrot95 wrote:Are you sure that these instructions apply to work permit holders?

====
Only WP migrants were issued 5 years' continuous leave (to enter/remain). PBS migrants are issued 2/3 years leave (to enter / remain) in the first instance which they need to extend to complete the 5 years stay in the UK.

regards
You are right. But the instructions specifically refer to Tier 2 and not Work permit. So my conclusion would be that this 5.2 clause is not applicable since nobody was issued a tier 2 visa for 5 continuous years. Isn't it a leap of faith to assume that this applies to WP holders? All the immigration rules and instructions clearly distinguish Tier 2 and WP visas (like Tier 1 and HSMP visas).

====