ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalization query

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

needAdvise
Newly Registered

Naturalization query

Post by needAdvise » Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:17 pm

Hi,

we got our PR in Jan 2010, so we are now eligible for naturalization.

We have got a son who was born in UK in 2007.
My question is Can all of us(me, my son and husband) apply in a single application.
If we can, do we all need to fill separate forms.

I am bit confused, do we need to use form MN1 for my son or we can use AN form?

Also, regarding referees, I read the list of allowed professionals and its says engineer with professional degree. So, will a software engineer, will qualify for that?

Thanks in advance,
needAdvise

wp_to_tier1_168

Re: Naturalization query

Post by wp_to_tier1_168 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:32 pm

needAdvise wrote:Hi,

My question is Can all of us(me, my son and husband) apply in a single application.

Also, regarding referees, I read the list of allowed professionals and its says engineer with professional degree. So, will a software engineer, will qualify for that?

Thanks in advance,
needAdvise
1. You need to fill seperate forms individually.
2. yes, you need to fill MN1 for your son. I guess he has got ILR at the same time of yours, right?
3. My understanding is engineer as a referee should be a member of some professonal bodies, like IET or IEEE, not just a simple degree qualification.

Good luck!

needAdvise
Newly Registered

Post by needAdvise » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:06 am

wp_to_tier1_168 wrote:

Thanks in advance,
needAdvise
1. You need to fill seperate forms individually.
2. yes, you need to fill MN1 for your son. I guess he has got ILR at the same time of yours, right?
3. My understanding is engineer as a referee should be a member of some professonal bodies, like IET or IEEE, not just a simple degree qualification.

Good luck!
So, if me and my husband are filling separate forms, then do we both need to pay fees of 700 something GBP??
And I could not find anywhere what is the fees for from MN1? Yes, my son got PR with this, so why can't we use AN from for him as well?

ukpl

Post by ukpl » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:09 pm

needAdvise wrote:So, if me and my husband are filling separate forms, then do we both need to pay fees of 700 something GBP??
And I could not find anywhere what is the fees for from MN1? Yes, my son got PR with this, so why can't we use AN from for him as well?
If you send your applications in the same envelope, you will pay joint application fee for couple which is £1010.
MN1 costs £500.
You can't use AN form for a child as children do not apply for naturalisation. They are registered as BC if they parents meet requirements.
To clarify, you fill in AN form, your OH fills in his own AN form, you fill in MN1 for your son.
You put 3 forms into the same envelope with all supporting documents and enclose cheque (or card payment slip) for the total sum.

But, there is no real advantage to apply together with your son and from reading the forum it seems the time of processing "family" applications is a little longer (that's my impression).
You could apply only with your OH (costs £1010) and after being approved and getting your BC, you can apply on MN1 to register your son as BC.
If (touch wood) you will be refused, you won't lose another £500 (think this is not refundable).

needAdvise
Newly Registered

Post by needAdvise » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:54 am

ukpl wrote:
needAdvise wrote:So, if me and my husband are filling separate forms, then do we both need to pay fees of 700 something GBP??
If you send your applications in the same envelope, you will pay joint application fee for couple which is £1010.
MN1 costs £500.
You can't use AN form for a child as children do not apply for naturalisation. They are registered as BC if they parents meet requirements.
To clarify, you fill in AN form, your OH fills in his own AN form, you fill in MN1 for your son.
You put 3 forms into the same envelope with all supporting documents and enclose cheque (or card payment slip) for the total sum.

But, there is no real advantage to apply together with your son and from reading the forum it seems the time of processing "family" applications is a little longer (that's my impression).
You could apply only with your OH (costs £1010) and after being approved and getting your BC, you can apply on MN1 to register your son as BC.
If (touch wood) you will be refused, you won't lose another £500 (think this is not refundable).
Thanks alot. That really clarifies everything.
I think, I can apply for my son separately even if we don't get citizenship he still can get it as he was born here and has PR for last one year.

ukpl

Post by ukpl » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:55 am

needAdvise wrote:I think, I can apply for my son separately even if we don't get citizenship he still can get it as he was born here and has PR for last one year.
I re-read your post and as you got PR in Jan 2007 and your son was born after that time in the UK (right?) then he is British already.
You can straightaway apply for his passport today.

needAdvise
Newly Registered

Post by needAdvise » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:05 am

ukpl wrote:
needAdvise wrote:I think, I can apply for my son separately even if we don't get citizenship he still can get it as he was born here and has PR for last one year.
I re-read your post and as you got PR in Jan 2007 and your son was born after that time in the UK (right?) then he is British already.
You can straightaway apply for his passport today.
No, we got our PR in 2010 and he was born in 2007.
Your earlier response clarified everything, thanks a lot for that.

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:12 am

Child is not yet British.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.