ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Any hope of getting a mortgage?

This is an area for the discussion of matters related to issues about moving from one country to another. Examples could be about money transfer, moving and packing, validity of driving licence, etc..

It is not a general non-immigration, free-for-all area.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

GrahamD85

Any hope of getting a mortgage?

Post by GrahamD85 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:47 pm

Hi guys,

Kristen (my girlfriend) and I have decided to think about buying a house. Kristen is a US citizen on the Unmarried Partner visa since September 2010 and I'm a British-born UK citizen.

We both earn fairly decent wages (to repay the mortgage on the properties we're looking at anyway), have a 15% deposit and have good credit ratings/scores. Kristen has a student loan from the US, and even though the repayments are £300 per month, she can afford these and the loan will be paid in around 8-9 years. I have no loans or debt.

Does anyone have any idea if we'll encounter huge problems trying to get a mortgage? I know banks are tight at the moment, but we wondered if it makes it easier that I'm British or if we will have to wait for ILR.

Anyone who has any advice or views on this (especially if you've bought a property recently), we'd love to hear from you.

Graham