ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Is it necessary to make an entry in UK within 3 months?

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

stalwar

Is it necessary to make an entry in UK within 3 months?

Post by stalwar » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:07 pm

Hi Guys,
I got my Tier 1 visa on 4th Jan (valid from 4th Jan, 2010). However, I am not planning to go to UK (because of some personal reasons) till May or June.

Is it possible to appeal to UK embassy to change my visa start date? If so, what is the procedure?

I talked to VFS today and they said it is "preferable" to make an entry in UK within 3 months of getting the visa otherwise your entry is at the discretion of the immigration officer. Is this correct?

ukukukuk2011

Re: Is it necessary to make an entry in UK within 3 months?

Post by ukukukuk2011 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:28 pm

You can enter even on the last day of your Visa . There is no 3 months rule anywhere ...

stalwar wrote:Hi Guys,
I got my Tier 1 visa on 4th Jan (valid from 4th Jan, 2010). However, I am not planning to go to UK (because of some personal reasons) till May or June.

Is it possible to appeal to UK embassy to change my visa start date? If so, what is the procedure?

I talked to VFS today and they said it is "preferable" to make an entry in UK within 3 months of getting the visa otherwise your entry is at the discretion of the immigration officer. Is this correct?

wf
Member of Standing

Post by wf » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:56 pm

Would make a good sticky topic, as people are asking this every other day.

rizwan567
Diamond Member

Post by rizwan567 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:51 am

No, it is not mandatory.

stalwar

Post by stalwar » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:11 am

I have now twice called VFS and confirmed with them and everytime they tell me its "advisable" to travel within three months. Push them a little and they have no idea why isn't it advisable to travel after three months.

What kind of explanation would the entry level immigration guy expects if I travel a year into my visa?

rizwan567
Diamond Member

Post by rizwan567 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:23 am

Only those can give you the advise who are saying you to travel within 3 months!

mulderpf
Diamond Member

Post by mulderpf » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:33 pm

Because you need to find a job and get yourself settled so that by the time your last 12 months roll around, you are set up in order to comply with the requirements for extension. There is no point in travelling a year after you get your visa, taking 2 months to find a job and then realise that because you only worked for 10 months, you don't have enough points to extend your visa. The sooner the better and the more time you have to get going...
Do not send me PM's with specific questions - post question in the open forum so others can also benefit from the answers.

rajani1981

Post by rajani1981 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:10 pm

VFS is a hope less bunch of people. They all give wrong information. If you follow what they say you will end up loosing your life. vfs is document collection center only, they are not supposed to advice but they are doing it because people are there asking. This is how modern day 'sages' are born. My initial application was refused only because I followed their advice.
Answering your question, you can enter any time till your vour visa is valid. If you enter before 28 days of your initial visa date, you can avoid 2nd extension. Its simple maths..follow it.

MOGA84

Post by MOGA84 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:53 pm

Yes you can ask ECO to amend visa valid date.
you shall type politely your reasons, aslo you can amend it for 3 months later. but it is ECO discretion either accept or not
I had the same suitation and got new visa with later valid date