ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travelling to home country as a British Citizen

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

BDS
Newly Registered

Travelling to home country as a British Citizen

Post by BDS » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:47 am

Can someone please tell me if I will be allowed to travel back to my home country on a British Passport after naturalisation having initially been granted refugee status (ILR) and have held that for 5yrs. Will goin back as a British Citizen affect my my status in this country taking into account I claimed asylum for fear of persecution. Also can one tell me if I'll be proctected under British interests if I went back to that country (Zimbabwe).

Backer
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by Backer » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:03 am

Can someone please tell me if I will be allowed to travel back to my home country on a British Passport after naturalisation having initially been granted refugee status (ILR) and have held that for 5yrs. Will goin back as a British Citizen affect my my status in this country taking into account I claimed asylum for fear of persecution. You can travel freely to anywhere. It will not affect your British status

Also can one tell me if I'll be proctected under British interests if I went back to that country (Zimbabwe). If you're a dual citizen you can be treated by Zimbabwen law and Britain will not necesarily help you

BDS
Newly Registered

Post by BDS » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:36 pm

Thanks, helpful information.

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:03 pm

Backer wrote: Also can one tell me if I'll be proctected under British interests if I went back to that country (Zimbabwe). If you're a dual citizen you can be treated by Zimbabwen law and Britain will not necesarily help you
There is an absolute ban on dual citizenship in Zimbabwe, so this means that a. if BDS has a Zimbabwe passport, he or she should not use it (after becoming a British citizen) and b. if a British citizen using a British passport, he or she ought to be eligible for British consular protection, for what that is worth.