ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

English Language Requirement Tier 1(G)- UK NARIC certificate

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

bygodsgrace

English Language Requirement Tier 1(G)- UK NARIC certificate

Post by bygodsgrace » Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:27 am

Hi All,

I am planning to apply for Tier 1 General (switching from Tier2 (ICT) in January. My degree is listed in Point Based calculator as equivalent to a UK degree.
But when I am trying to claim the points for my English Language requirement with the same degree, I am not able to do so. I got help from UK NARIC through the service 'English Language Assessment service' and I recieved a certificate from them specifying that my degree is taught in English and its equivalent to CERF level C1. Could you please tell me if I can apply for Tier1 General with this certificate from UK NARIC?

Thanks and Regards,

push
United Kingdom

Re: English Language Requirement Tier 1(G)- UK NARIC certifi

Post by push » Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:58 am

bygodsgrace wrote:Hi All,

I am planning to apply for Tier 1 General (switching from Tier2 (ICT) in January. My degree is listed in Point Based calculator as equivalent to a UK degree.
But when I am trying to claim the points for my English Language requirement with the same degree, I am not able to do so. I got help from UK NARIC through the service 'English Language Assessment service' and I recieved a certificate from them specifying that my degree is taught in English and its equivalent to CERF level C1. Could you please tell me if I can apply for Tier1 General with this certificate from UK NARIC?

Thanks and Regards,
Unfortunately you cant. In this respect UKBA relies solely on the PBS calculator (which they claim is based on NARIC database) This is what para 196 of the PBS Guidance Notes says:
196. Where the points based calculator is unable to confirm these details, points will not be awarded for the qualification in question.
regards,
push
Important: Please read this Disclaimer

bygodsgrace

Post by bygodsgrace » Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:32 am

Hi Push,

Thanks for a quick reply. Can you please have a look into the following link from UK NARIC and give you comments.

http://www.naric.org.uk/index.asp?page=210

push
United Kingdom

Post by push » Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:37 am

bygodsgrace wrote:Hi Push,

Thanks for a quick reply. Can you please have a look into the following link from UK NARIC and give you comments.

http://www.naric.org.uk/index.asp?page=210
I have seen that but what I said above is straight from the UKBA guidance notes and there is no reference to getting the assessment done from NARIC. They mention NARIC but at the same time say that for such purposes they will use the PBS points calculator database which has been provided by NARIC.
regards,
push

push
United Kingdom

Post by push » Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:43 am

Similarly, if a degree/course can not be found on the PBS calculator, one can not independently get a comparability certificate from NARIC and then an English language statement to meet the requirement:
197. Where the applicant is unable to find details of their qualification on the points based calculator, UK NARIC will not be able to verify whether a qualification satisfies the English Language requirement. In these circumstances, applicants should either present an alternative qualification from the points based calculator if they possess one,
or select an alternative means of satisfying the English Language requirement
It seems that UKBA relies solely on the PBS calculator.
regards,
push

bygodsgrace

Post by bygodsgrace » Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:56 am

push wrote:Similarly, if a degree/course can not be found on the PBS calculator, one can not independently get a comparability certificate from NARIC and then an English language statement to meet the requirement:
197. Where the applicant is unable to find details of their qualification on the points based calculator, UK NARIC will not be able to verify whether a qualification satisfies the English Language requirement. In these circumstances, applicants should either present an alternative qualification from the points based calculator if they possess one,
or select an alternative means of satisfying the English Language requirement
It seems that UKBA relies solely on the PBS calculator.
But in my case, I am able to find my qualification in the PBS calculator to claim 30 points for my degree. But not able to claim (not able to select) the 10 points for English language with the same qualification.

push
United Kingdom

Post by push » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:41 am

bygodsgrace wrote:But in my case, I am able to find my qualification in the PBS calculator to claim 30 points for my degree. But not able to claim (not able to select) the 10 points for English language with the same qualification.
and that's why para 196 as quoted above applies to you.
regards,
push

push
United Kingdom

Post by push » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:43 am

Why don't you post the details of your course, institution and years here and we can do a recheck just to ensure that you are doing it correctly.
regards,
push

bygodsgrace

Post by bygodsgrace » Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:47 pm

push wrote:Why don't you post the details of your course, institution and years here and we can do a recheck just to ensure that you are doing it correctly.
Thanks a lot push for your quick reply.

Qualification details given as per PBS calculator:

Country of Award: India
State: Kerala
Qualification: Bachelor Degree
Institution or body: Mahatma Gandhi University, Kottayam
Course Length : 4 years or less than 5
Course Subject: IT / Computer Science
Year of award: 2004

My qualification is 'Bachelor of Technology' in Computer Science from Mahatma Gandhi University, Kottayam.

Please find a screenshot from PBS calculator below, where I am not able to select my qualification for 'English Language Skills' section. The radio button is disabled.

push
United Kingdom

Post by push » Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:47 pm

I checked the PBS calculator,it does not award 10 points even if you use the course as Technology. If you have some time then you may want to request NARIC to update UKBA's database based on the statement that they have provided.
regards,
push

bygodsgrace

Post by bygodsgrace » Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:52 pm

push wrote: If you have some time then you may want to request NARIC to update UKBA's database based on the statement that they have provided.
Is there any standard procedure to follow to request NARIC to update UKBA's database?

push
United Kingdom

Post by push » Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:14 pm

Someone tried getting it done in the past and I was searching for the relevant post but couldn't find it. If I remember correctly, he was told that NARIC updates the UKBA database periodically and that his case will be taken into consideration when they did the same next. Why dont you send an email to NARIC.
regards,
push

bygodsgrace

Post by bygodsgrace » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:29 am

push wrote:Someone tried getting it done in the past and I was searching for the relevant post but couldn't find it. If I remember correctly, he was told that NARIC updates the UKBA database periodically and that his case will be taken into consideration when they did the same next. Why dont you send an email to NARIC.
Hi Push,

I have sent a mail to UK NARIC regarding this issue yesterday. Meanwhile if possible could you please try proviing me with the discussion link regarding similar issue.

Thanks and Regards,

bygodsgrace

Post by bygodsgrace » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:19 pm

Hi push,

I wrote to UK NARIC regarding this issue and their reply is as below:

"Thank you for your fax and letter dated 7th January 2011 regarding our English Language Assessment of your lndian award.

Although UK NARIC provides the data for the Points Based System (PBS)
Calculator, there are some instances where the information that UK NARIC holds cannot be displayed on the PBS Calculator, meaning that our data therefore differs. The information concerning the medium of instruction at the Mahatma Gandhi University, Kottayam falls into this category, and we are unable to change the data on the PBS Calculator. However, the UK NARIC English Language Assessments (or Statements of Comparability) can and will supersede the information on the PBS
Calculator, and UK BA caseworkers should be aware of this.

I hope this clarifies the matter and is of assistance. Please be advised that the service provided by UK NARIC, although based on informed opinion, should be treated only as guidance."

What is your opinion on this letter from NARIC?

Thanks in advance.

mulderpf
Diamond Member

Post by mulderpf » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:42 pm

From points assessment for English:
UK NARIC will not be able to verify whether a qualification satisfies the English language requirement. So if your qualification cannot be confirmed by the points-based calculator, you should either present an alternative qualification from the points-based calculator if you have one or choose another way of meeting the English language requirement.
Seems that NARIC cannot do this. UKBA and their guidance overrules this I would imagine - NARIC cannot make/change immigration rules.
Do not send me PM's with specific questions - post question in the open forum so others can also benefit from the answers.