ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 4 dependent extension question

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

locustzzz
Newly Registered

Tier 4 dependent extension question

Post by locustzzz » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:22 am

Hello, and thanks in advance for your help. I am fairly confident that I understand how to, and would be able to get a work visa under my girlfriend's visa (She is about 9 months away from finishing a 2 year degree program in Scotland). My question is that if she were to extend her visa to stay in the U.K. (for a maximum of two years right?) would I be able to extend my dependent work visa in a similar fashion Or would i be able to apply for a new dependent visa after she gets and extension? Any clarification on how dependent visas transition with an extension would be helpful.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:21 am

Dependant of a Tier 4 migrant applies for and is granted a " Tier 4 dependant" visa, and not a "dependant work visa".

See How to apply inside the United Kingdom

regards

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:04 am

How long have you and your girlfriend been together? Have you been living together in a relationship akin to marriage for two years?

Are you in the UK at the moment and if so on what basis?

locustzzz
Newly Registered

Post by locustzzz » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:33 am

Thanks for the responses. We have been together for 4 years. We have lived together for 2 consecutive years as companions. I am not currently in the UK although i was there for 6 months ending 9 months ago (on a tourist visa) and I am planning a 2 month visit (again on a tourist visa) for April.

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:33 pm

as you are unmarried you are going to have to provide a lot of evidence to show cohabitation over a two year period. As you last lived together 9 months ago you will also have to show that the relationship is subsiting.

You can't switch in country from a tourist visa so would need to apply for entry clearance as her dependent.