ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

extension of settlement visa

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

gooner2011
Newly Registered

extension of settlement visa

Post by gooner2011 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:16 pm

Hello again, I have a question about the spouse settlement visa and i hope someone can help.
My wife was granted her settlement visa in Dec 2010 but due to not getting her sons(my stepson) visa may have to wait in her country of origin until the sons visa is sorted.
I believe she has 4 months from the date of issue of her visa to enter the UK but as there is now a hold up she might not make it to the UK in those 4 months.
Can this 4 month period be extended? or does she have to go through the whole process again and purchase a new visa?
many thanks if you can help

batleykhan

Post by batleykhan » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:40 pm

She can come in at ANY time before the visa expires. She does not need an extension or permission to delay her arrival into UK from anyone.

The only drawback is that if she doesnt come within 3 months ( not 4) is that she will not be able to complete her 24 months stay in UK when she applies to stay here permamantly in 2 yrs time.( 24 + 3 months = 27 months visa is what she wiil have had stamped in her passport).

It will mean she will first s have to apply for (FLR)further leave to remain ( to make up 24 months of stay in UK)before she can apply for her permenant stay ( indefinite leave to remain =ILR).
It will cost her an extra £400+ but will have no further implication or problems as far as her visa is concerned

gooner2011
Newly Registered

Post by gooner2011 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:41 pm

thanks very much for that information but i think we have now decided to get my stepson a family visit visa for 6 months and see how that goes.
thanks again