ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Leaving UK and returning under a valid PSW

Archived UK Tier 1 (Post-Study Work) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

gc370
Newly Registered

Leaving UK and returning under a valid PSW

Post by gc370 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:48 am

Hi there,

My situation is as follows;

I have yet to apply for my PSW visa but believe that I fill all the criteria; I was in the UK for the duration of my degree on a student visa, I attended a top tier UK university where I received my degree, the university has sent me my letter, I have over the £2,800 requirement in my bank account and have statements to prove it.

My question is as follows. I have an offer of a job that starts in July 2011 but would like to travel beforehand. As such, I was planning on applying for my PSW in my home country, entering the UK, leaving to travel for three months and then return to begin work.

Does anyone see any problems with this? Is there a stated restriction on the number of entries or exits, or a required residency duration?

Thanks for your help

ersourabhbhola

Post by ersourabhbhola » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:57 pm

you can apply for psw any time with in a year of your award date, but when you get that, countdown for 2 years time starts.

it is a multiple entry visa, you can leave uk anytime and come back at any time.
Sourabh Bhola

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:57 pm

you can certainly apply for the visa and then come back later. you don't need to enter the UK first and then leave to travel unless there are practical reasons why you want to come to the UK before you go travelling (to sort out accomodation etc).

Have you already left the UK? if not is there any reason why you want to apply from your home country? If you are in the UK now it might be better to make the application from within the UK in case the route closes before you get the opportunity to make your application. The maintance requirement is also lower (£800) for in country applications.

gc370
Newly Registered

Post by gc370 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:33 pm

ersourabhbhola and Greenie - thanks for the quick and helpful replies,

ersourabhbhola - Thank you for confirming that the Tier 1 Post-study work visa is a multiple entry visa.

Greenie - I have left the UK and thats the main reason why I want to apply form outside the UK. Also its oddly cheaper and the processing time appears to be about 2 weeks as opposed to 6 weeks in the UK. I plan to apply by the end of the month (before the consultation of the PSW begins) so hopefully I will have my received my visa before the program is changed.

Also, if anyone who has experience using the PSW visa for multiple entries could confirm ersourabhbhola's suggestion I would be much obliged.

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:33 pm

it is a multiple entry visa, just like your student visa was. they don't expect you to be stuck here for the whole two years not even UKBA are that unreasonable!

janedoe
Newly Registered

Post by janedoe » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:39 pm

Hey there,
I left the UK and applied from my home country. I thought it would take less time, but it actually took 8 weeks for me to finally get my visa. (Applied on 17th November and received my passport back on 11th January).
I don't mean to cause any anxiety, as you have already left the UK and have to apply from your home country, but make you application as soon as possible.
Regards

lavezziisgod
Newly Registered

Post by lavezziisgod » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:04 am

gc370 wrote:ersourabhbhola and Greenie - thanks for the quick and helpful replies,

ersourabhbhola - Thank you for confirming that the Tier 1 Post-study work visa is a multiple entry visa.

Greenie - I have left the UK and thats the main reason why I want to apply form outside the UK. Also its oddly cheaper and the processing time appears to be about 2 weeks as opposed to 6 weeks in the UK. I plan to apply by the end of the month (before the consultation of the PSW begins) so hopefully I will have my received my visa before the program is changed.

Also, if anyone who has experience using the PSW visa for multiple entries could confirm ersourabhbhola's suggestion I would be much obliged.
How do you know it takes two weeks from outside the UK/in India?

arsenal49
Diamond Member

Post by arsenal49 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:38 pm

gc370... make sure you apply before start of april 2011. who knows if psw will still be there in mid april ???