ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Spouse Naturalisation: confusion over requirements

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

boylove
Newly Registered

Spouse Naturalisation: confusion over requirements

Post by boylove » Tue May 30, 2006 3:48 am

I have just acquired British Citizenship. What are the requirements for naturalisation for my spouse who has been married to me and living in UK for more than 3 years (but not 5 yet). She has had an ILR for for more than a year now.

Options:
1. Wait for 5 years to complete and apply on the basis of 5 years stay (depenedent of WP+ILR).
2. Apply as the spouse of a British Citizen NOW based on 3 years stay+ holding an ILR. Is there a problem if the marriage happened outside EU and registered outside EU country as well? What are the requirements in that sense? Does she need a UK marriage certificate or the original one is just fine? Did I have to be a BC when we got married? I am a BC now, but wasn't at the time of the marriage.

Taking option 2(if possible) saves us some time and allows a bit of holiday travel this summer without restrictions. :)

Any help appreciated!

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Tue May 30, 2006 9:16 am

Boylove, now that you are British your wife is married to a British Citizen ... you! Accordingly if she is able to pass the "was in the UK exactly three years before IND receive the naturalisation application" test, then she can indeed apply now ... subject of course to her having passed the Citizenship Test!

Marriage certificate? The original is fine, but if not in English, also a translation of that certificate into English.
taking option 2(if possible) saves us some time and allows a bit of holiday travel this summer without restrictions.
As you will appreciate applying for naturalisation is not an instant process. To speed it up a bit apply using an NCS office. That will ensure that neither of you are without your passports, except for the minutes while the NCS office photocopy them.
John