ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Need advice on applying for jobs

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

sbalaji
Newly Registered

Need advice on applying for jobs

Post by sbalaji » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:21 am

Hi All

First of all, this forum has been of great help! Kudos to all of you for keeping it alive.. I and my wife followed the advices in this forum and we have got our Tier 1 visas starting from Feb 15 2011 and planning to come to UK around the same time.

Here is a small intro to my profile
Experience: 10 years out of which I was running my game development start-up for the past 4 years after working with IBM and Oracle.
Domain: IT; Media & Entertainment (Games)
Nationality: Indian

Here are the points on which I require your advice
i.) Is it a good idea to apply to companies or recruiters now itself or should I wait till I reach UK?
ii.) Some people advised to take a UK Skype number or UK call forwarding number and publish them in your resume and start receiving calls. Is this a good option? I am worried if the companies or recruiters ask for the scanned copy of the visa in which it shows I can enter the country only on Feb 15th.
iii.) What else, if any, should I do in this period of 20 days that can expedite the job-search process there? ( I have prepared my resume. :-))

Thanks
Balaji

kenfrapin

Post by kenfrapin » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:10 pm

You can do all you have mentioned - there is no harm at all.
Even if the Visa scan shows the entry date, all you are doing is trying to get interviews scheduled on your arrival and that is very proactive.

This answers the question as to what you should do while you wait - keep applying for roles, ensure your CV is tailored for the role applied. I dont mean to fake it but while you may have the skillset, each role may look for something significant and its important to highlight that to make the recruitment agent think s/he can shortlist you for a call and possibly an interview. Be smart when you apply for EVERY role - success comes to those who pay attention to such small details :-)

You can also take telephonic interviews while in India so if you get a chance do that as well. You need to be here only for any personal/face to face interviews so whatever can be done beforehand will only help your cause.

Wish you guys the very best
KP

sbalaji
Newly Registered

Post by sbalaji » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:17 pm

Thanks a lot Ken for that informative reply. :)

Cheers
Balaji

kenfrapin

Post by kenfrapin » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:30 pm

No worries - btw, recruiters should not ask for a scanned copy of your visa. Make sure you mention you have a Tier 1 and its end date. I havent heard of genuine agents asking for the copy - as long as you have said so and can attend the interview then fine.

And companies will only ask for your visa once you have accepted offer and everything is completed. Company HR steps in only after both sides have agreed to the deal and thats when they want your Visa details, references, bank details etc so no issues really.

KP

sbalaji
Newly Registered

Post by sbalaji » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:39 pm

Thanks Ken.

I researched for the call forwarding services that can give me a local number and found these sites..

http://www.tollfreeforwarding.com
http://www.localphone.com/incoming_numbers
http://www.windsor-telecom.co.uk/compar ... umbers.php
http://www.ukdivert.com/services/intern ... rsion.html

I am more inclined to use www.tollfreeforwarding.com (although it has limitations on talk time) because it is the only one giving a london number that starts with 203.

Has anyone had experience with these sites or probably suggest me any better call forwarding services they have used and were happy with it.

Thanks
Sankar

LearningCurve

Post by LearningCurve » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:22 am

@sbalaji,

The same service is available from Skype and their numbers start with 203 as well.

About which is better with rates, you might want to check.

A note on usage of voip numbers on profiles. Recruiters and consultants usually know it's a voip number when they see one on a profile. So if the plan is to let them know you are in india and plan to be in the country in a couple of weeks time then it's fine I would think.

But when people tell them they are already in the uk, or that they were already in the uk and are back on vacation and should be back in a couple of weeks story, they usually know you are one of those who is trying to get something worked while still being in your day job in india, and that chases away a lot of genuine recruiters.

kenfrapin

Post by kenfrapin » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:42 pm

Well put LearningCurve,

If you do want to have a local number, probably best to be open about it and state you have got one only to facilitate any calls if required as you are about to come here in 2 weeks time.
Makes no sense trying to unknowingly con agents who are quite good at spotting such things and 20days is hardly much time anyway so either dont get it else get it and be very explicit why you got it

KP

sbalaji
Newly Registered

Post by sbalaji » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:06 pm

Hi LearningCurve and Ken,

Thanks a lot for the advice. I have made a special mention in my resume that this is a local Skype number, which I have taken to facilitate any calls in the meantime.

I understand the reasoning. My attempt also is not to con the agents and start my job search on the wrong foot. I just want to expedite the process as much as I can. :-)

Thanks
Sankar

boardUser

Post by boardUser » Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:45 pm

Hi Shankar

I am now at the same stage as you were before.

I am going to move to the UK next month. Based on your experience can you give me any advise about the job search.

I am eager to listen about your job search experience i.e. while you were in India and after you went to UK?

[quote="sbalaji"]Hi LearningCurve and Ken,

Thanks a lot for the advice. I have made a special mention in my resume that this is a local Skype number, which I have taken to facilitate any calls in the meantime.

I understand the reasoning. My attempt also is not to con the agents and start my job search on the wrong foot. I just want to expedite the process as much as I can. :-)

Thanks
Sankar[/quote]