ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 1 Extension

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

smas4er

Tier 1 Extension

Post by smas4er » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:26 pm

Hi Guys

I had a few questions around the Tier 1 visa. I am currently on Tier 1 General, expiring in August.

1 - When I apply for extension what will be the criteria for my points, will it be the same as when I initally applied in 2008, as the points criteria have now changed.

2 - I was wondering if have a contract job as opposed to permanent, how would that affect my application. Application with permanent job was very easy as had all payslips, how harder will it be with contract and is it possible to apply while on conract role as opposed to permanent role.

3 - Do I have to supply my degree certificate and other static documentation when applying for extension, as I had supplied this documentation when I made my initial application.

4 - How long before can I make an application for extension. Like mine is due in August but if I wanted could I apply in March?

Will really appreciate help on all this.

Regards

smas4er

Post by smas4er » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:02 pm

Some one please help on this

mulderpf
Diamond Member

Re: Tier 1 Extension

Post by mulderpf » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:38 pm

smas4er wrote:Hi Guys

I had a few questions around the Tier 1 visa. I am currently on Tier 1 General, expiring in August.

1 - When I apply for extension what will be the criteria for my points, will it be the same as when I initally applied in 2008, as the points criteria have now changed. Look at the guidance for the points you will score based on initial application date or use the calculator. You can't expect someone to do something this simple for you.

2 - I was wondering if have a contract job as opposed to permanent, how would that affect my application. Application with permanent job was very easy as had all payslips, how harder will it be with contract and is it possible to apply while on conract role as opposed to permanent role.Remember that when contracting there's a bunch of deductions etc coming off your quoted rate, so where it might seem that you are in one bracket, you might end up in a lower bracket because of deductions (e.g. National Insurance and any claimed expenses)

3 - Do I have to supply my degree certificate and other static documentation when applying for extension, as I had supplied this documentation when I made my initial application.Not sure - but maybe read the guidance or just submit it anyway.

4 - How long before can I make an application for extension. Like mine is due in August but if I wanted could I apply in March?That would be a waste of time - why not just wait until August? Nothing stopping you from applying in March, but there's not much point as you will potentially just have to extend again in three years time if you are working towards settlement.

Regards
Do not send me PM's with specific questions - post question in the open forum so others can also benefit from the answers.

mtuckersa
Member of Standing

Post by mtuckersa » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:16 pm

1) Yes same points system before 5th April 2011, should be the same after 5th April 2011 but that is still to be confirmed in the transitional arrangements everybody is waiting to hear about.

2) As per previous comment but not so sure about the National Insurance, my NI is deducted off my salary but its not seen as an expense, more like a tax. My basic is pre-NI anyways.

3) I have heard that you dont need to submit this doco again, like degrees, letter from univeristy to say it used English as the main anguage medium.

4) You thinking what I have been thinking for awhile. Yes you can apply in March, some 4.5months before your visa expires. I would say you have a 50% chance of getting your visa extended from the visa expiry date. The other 50% would be from date of application. If you are going to risk it, post your application the day before the new transitional rules. ie like 4th April 2011. Thats assuming you can't meet the transitional arrangements criteria which you would probably be able to meet. If you do meet the criteria apply in July 2011.

Hope this helps

Dreemweaver

Post by Dreemweaver » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:15 pm

mtuckersa wrote:1)

3) ...., letter from univeristy to say it used English as the main anguage medium.
Letter from university for medium of instruction is of no use.

mtuckersa
Member of Standing

Post by mtuckersa » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:26 pm

Dreemweaver wrote:

3) ...., letter from univeristy to say it used English as the main anguage medium.
Read the entire post. The question was about submitting the same doco that was submitted at the initial application. When I submitted my initial application (2.5 years ago)they accepted the letter from the university saying the medium of instruction was given in English. Lots of people used these letters for applications. Whether they don't accept them NOW is irrelevant as we are referring to doco that was submitted 2.5 years ago.

Dreemweaver

Post by Dreemweaver » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:08 am

mtuckersa wrote:
Dreemweaver wrote:

Read the entire post. The question was about submitting the same doco that was submitted at the initial application. When I submitted my initial application (2.5 years ago)they accepted the letter from the university saying the medium of instruction was given in English. Lots of people used these letters for applications. Whether they don't accept them NOW is irrelevant as we are referring to doco that was submitted 2.5 years ago.
If the BHC accepted letter from university as evidence , then its my mistake and I apologize. From your statement, I assume that the guidance 2.5 years back stated that the letter from university was accepted as evidence. I will search for the document online so that I can clear my doubt.

Lots of people still submit letter from university, mark lists etc. and BHC accepts it, but it does not mean that it is accepted as evidence. It is accepted just because it is submitted and they don't take it as evidence and it's not used.

mtuckersa
Member of Standing

Post by mtuckersa » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:50 am

Dreemweaver wrote:
mtuckersa wrote:
Dreemweaver wrote:

If the BHC accepted letter from university as evidence , then its my mistake and I apologize. From your statement, I assume that the guidance 2.5 years back stated that the letter from university was accepted as evidence. I will search for the document online so that I can clear my doubt.

Lots of people still submit letter from university, mark lists etc. and BHC accepts it, but it does not mean that it is accepted as evidence. It is accepted just because it is submitted and they don't take it as evidence and it's not used.

This is straight out of the policy guidance

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... idance.pdf

'Degree taught in English
An applicant may provide evidence 190. that he/she holds a degree which is equivalent to United Kingdom Bachelors level and which was taught or researched in English to a particular level as evidence of his/her English language ability.

The degree 191. must be recognised by National Academic • Recognition Information Centre for the United Kingdom (UK NARIC) as equivalent to a United Kingdom Bachelor’s degree; and have been taught in English to a standard • comparable to that of level C1 on the Council of Europe’s Common European Framework of Reference for Languages: Learning, Teaching, Assessment (CEFR). Details can be found on the Council of Europe website'

bjk
Newly Registered

Re: Tier 1 Extension

Post by bjk » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:01 pm

smas4er wrote:Hi Guys

1 - When I apply for extension what will be the criteria for my points, will it be the same as when I initally applied in 2008, as the points criteria have now changed.

2 - I was wondering if have a contract job as opposed to permanent, how would that affect my application. Application with permanent job was very easy as had all payslips, how harder will it be with contract and is it possible to apply while on conract role as opposed to permanent role.

3 - Do I have to supply my degree certificate and other static documentation when applying for extension, as I had supplied this documentation when I made my initial application.

4 - How long before can I make an application for extension. Like mine is due in August but if I wanted could I apply in March?

Regards
smas4er,
Mine is also similar case. Needs to extend the Tier 1G in August 2011. I am planing to submit the application in May 2011. I am doing contract jobs through my Ltd company. I hope the transitional arrangements will allow us to use the initial eligibility criteria.
Regards,
BJK

Dreemweaver

Post by Dreemweaver » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:50 am

mtuckersa wrote: This is straight out of the policy guidance

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... idance.pdf

'Degree taught in English
An applicant may provide evidence 190. that he/she holds a degree which is equivalent to United Kingdom Bachelors level and which was taught or researched in English to a particular level as evidence of his/her English language ability.

The degree 191. must be recognised by National Academic • Recognition Information Centre for the United Kingdom (UK NARIC) as equivalent to a United Kingdom Bachelor’s degree; and have been taught in English to a standard • comparable to that of level C1 on the Council of Europe’s Common European Framework of Reference for Languages: Learning, Teaching, Assessment (CEFR). Details can be found on the Council of Europe website'
The policy guidance is very clear here.

It does not talk about the letter from university.
Checking qualifications

195. An applicant should check his/her degree by referring to the points based calculator on our website at: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/pointscalculator

196. Where the points based calculator is unable to confirm these details, points will not be awarded for the qualification in question.

197. Where the applicant is unable to find details of their qualification on the points based calculator, UK NARIC will not be able to verify whether a qualification satisfies the English Language requirement. In these circumstances, applicants should either present an alternative qualification from the points based calculator if they possess one, or select an alternative means of satisfying the English Language requirement.
Anyway, I am not arguing anymore. The subject has been discussed few times here.

rajaram20

Post by rajaram20 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:02 am

House of Lords Statement:

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/p ... 0/8006.htm

Is there any dissatisfaction around the Home Secretary's decision to alter the scope of Tier 1 under the full limits?

A6. The only concern put forward is the need for some form of transitional arrangement for existing Tier 1 (General) migrants who will wish to apply for extensions after April 2011. We are currently considering how any transitional arrangements should be shaped and will announce our plans in the Spring.