ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR for wife not on dependent Visa

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

newcan
Newly Registered

ILR for wife not on dependent Visa

Post by newcan » Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:52 pm

Recently i got my ILR and now i want to apply ILR for my wife and she is on tier1 visa.

She has completed 2 years and 3 months in UK under tier1 visa.We are living together for more than 2 years.Is it possible for me to apply ILR for my wife under SET (M) ?

Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks,
CS

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Re: ILR for wife not on dependent Visa

Post by geriatrix » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:08 am

newcan wrote:Is it possible for me to apply ILR for my wife under SET (M) ?
No.

Options:
1. She continue as Tier 1 migrant and apply for settlement as and when she qualifies, or
2. She may apply for leave to remain as spouse of settled person using FLR(M) and, under current rules, apply for settlement after living in the UK for 2 years as your spouse.

regards

newcan
Newly Registered

New English language requirement for partners

Post by newcan » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:54 am

Thanks for the reply.

1) My wife has cleared the Life in UK Test. Is she still required to write the English Language Test, to apply for FLR?
2) Does she need to wait for 2 Years to apply for ILR after getting the FLR? Since she stayed more than 2 years with me.
3) Can she apply ILR just after receiving the FLR?

Please advice.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:44 pm

1. Life in the UK test is not an English language proficiency test. See also New English language requirement for partners.
2. Yes, because 287(a)(i) is not satisfied.
3. No, for the same reason as above.

regards

RSetia
Newly Registered

different ILR situation - spouse

Post by RSetia » Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:28 pm

Hi,
I am a Tier 2 holder (earlier work permit ) now eligible for ILR. My wife's lived with me in Uk all these 5 years. She was my Tier 2 dependent from 2006-2009 (3 yrs) and then she got her own Tier 1 in Apr 2009. Currently she is not a dependent for visa purposes.

Q. Can i apply for ILR with her as a dependent on my SET(O) application?

I have got contrary replies on the above from Immigration contact centre. 1 person told me that she can apply only if she is a dependent on the date of application. The other person told me that for Tier 1/2 the rules are different and she IS eligible to apply since she's lived with me for so long.

I need to know for sure so that i can decide either to:
A. Go ahead with the ILR application now OR
B. Get her status changed to dependent and then apply for ILR a couple of months later.

Need to be sure which option (A or B) is possible/guaranteed, because last thing i want is to lose the Tier1 status and then go into a loop of FLR(M) for 2 years.

Please advise.

Regards
G

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Re: different ILR situation - spouse

Post by geriatrix » Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:40 pm

RSetia wrote:I am a Tier 2 holder (earlier work permit ) now eligible for ILR. My wife's lived with me in Uk all these 5 years. She was my Tier 2 dependent from 2006-2009 (3 yrs) and then she got her own Tier 1 in Apr 2009. Currently she is not a dependent for visa purposes.

Q. Can i apply for ILR with her as a dependent on my SET(O) application?
No.
RSetia wrote:I need to know for sure so that i can decide either to:
A. Go ahead with the ILR application now OR
B. Get her status changed to dependent and then apply for ILR a couple of months later.
Get her status changed to dependent and then apply for ILR together.

regards

RSetia
Newly Registered

Post by RSetia » Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:58 pm

Thanks sushdmehta

I did understand this to be the case, however when i called immigration office today morning to confirm that lady categoricallly confirmed thrice and she spoke to her supervisor also that i COULD apply for ILR for my spouse WITHOUT her being in 'dependency' status. She said most agents don't know this and this has never been allowed for other visa types and is allowed only for tier1/2 visa types. Is there a reference for this so that i can be doubly sure?

Or is this a grey area and it is discretionary by the caseworker? Further insight would be very helpful.

Also if i have to eventually have to get Tier 2 dependent status for my spouse, is there a way to apply from within UK or applying for Entry clearance from home country is the only option?

Thanks again
G

RSetia
Newly Registered

Post by RSetia » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:02 pm

To add,

the rules say that my wife has to be my dependent for 2 years in UK, which she satisfies, the only hitch being that this is not the most recent 2 years, it was 2006-2008.

I am thoroughly confused !!

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:30 am

RSetia wrote:Is there a reference for this so that i can be doubly sure?
319E(c).

regards

RSetia
Newly Registered

Post by RSetia » Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:47 pm

Thanks, but will not the previous leave to remain satisfy this - which was as a Tier2 dependent.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:16 am

319E(c) wrote:(c) The applicant must have, or have last been granted, leave as the Partner of the Relevant Points Based System Migrant who is being granted indefinite leave to remain.

regards

eager2learn

Post by eager2learn » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:11 am

sushdmehta wrote:
319E(c) wrote:(c) The applicant must have, or have last been granted, leave as the Partner of the Relevant Points Based System Migrant who is being granted indefinite leave to remain.

regards
so now the spouse have to go back to her home country to get an entry clearence as dependent before applying together?

eager2learn

Post by eager2learn » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:32 am

sushdmehta wrote:1. Life in the UK test is not an English language proficiency test. See also New English language requirement for partners.
2. Yes, because 287(a)(i) is not satisfied.
3. No, for the same reason as above.

regards
my wife has previously passed an english test and got her tier 2. now she has to go back to the home country to get a dependent status as I will be applying for ilr. my question is, does she have to do another english test again(as her toefl or ielts may have expired)?

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:00 am

No, not if applying as a Tier 1 dependant.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Vin77
Newly Registered

Post by Vin77 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:04 pm

RSetia - We are in exactly similar situation; have interview on Thu 20th Jan and only today realised our problem.
Husband is applying as primary applicant, I am not ona dependant visa - I have my own work permit and our son is dependant on my WP :((

Can you please share any mroe info or your exp/result if you have already gone thru this?

Thanks

RSetia wrote:Thanks sushdmehta

I did understand this to be the case, however when i called immigration office today morning to confirm that lady categoricallly confirmed thrice and she spoke to her supervisor also that i COULD apply for ILR for my spouse WITHOUT her being in 'dependency' status. She said most agents don't know this and this has never been allowed for other visa types and is allowed only for tier1/2 visa types. Is there a reference for this so that i can be doubly sure?

Or is this a grey area and it is discretionary by the caseworker? Further insight would be very helpful.

Also if i have to eventually have to get Tier 2 dependent status for my spouse, is there a way to apply from within UK or applying for Entry clearance from home country is the only option?

Thanks again
G

vjs8in

Post by vjs8in » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:53 pm

It looks like many of us are in this kind of a situation and unfortunately, nothing can be done unless the guidance changes, or some one takes the HO to the court and win an argument.