ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

My ILR + my wife Spouse Visa+ my baby British nationality

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Royncl
Newly Registered

My ILR + my wife Spouse Visa+ my baby British nationality

Post by Royncl » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:43 pm

Hi John and other members
I had had ILR two months before my baby was born, and one month before her birth my wife changed to Spouse visa from student visa.
I understand that I can claim child benefit without affecting my naturalisation end of this year and I have just done that.
my questions is: why the UKBA Nationality checking help line told me that applying for child benefit will have negative effects on my naturlaisation? I argued that my baby is britiish citizen so she is entitled to the child benefit but they said they money will go to my account so I am claiming benefit. however, they did admit that it is legal and my baby is entitled to it.
This echos to another answer from my friend who was told by NCS when applying for natrulisation that claiming benefits shall delay the process.

can any one clarify this issue? I won't claim any other benefits but I think this is money to my baby.
Also my understanding is that my claiming child benefit should not affact my wife's ILR and British Citizen. can any one help with this issue as well?

helpline is 0845 010 5200, select 2 and then 3

thanks ahead.

Imani
Newly Registered

Post by Imani » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:58 am

Can other forum members that have applied for British Citizenship recently and also claiming child benefit please comment?

There is nothing on the AN form that asks if benefits are being claimed.

I think if you have ILR, then you should be able to claim Child benefit.

@ poster,

Dont claim any other benefits at least until your wife gets her ILR.

Royncl
Newly Registered

Post by Royncl » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:03 pm

thanks a lot and wait for someone with personal experience to comment on.