ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Working abroad for UK employer - Income Tax question

This is an area for the discussion of matters related to issues about moving from one country to another. Examples could be about money transfer, moving and packing, validity of driving licence, etc..

It is not a general non-immigration, free-for-all area.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Rex

Working abroad for UK employer - Income Tax question

Post by Rex » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:07 pm

Hi

I am a permanent employee of UK based company. I wish to go back to my home country (non-EU). I want to know if I move abroad can I still be permanent employee and pay UK taxes or I have to become contractor and pay my home countries taxes.

Reason is that I am also shareholder of the company and the shares are not matured yet, still one year to go. I have to be permanent employee to be a shareholder.

Any expert opinion will be appreciated.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:41 pm

Not an expert in this matter, but here's my two cents -

Depends on the income tax laws of the country you'll be stationed in.
AFAIK and in general, you pay income tax in the country where the income is earned, irrespective of where it may be credited - unless you work in the country as an overseas employee on fixed term / temporary assignment.

regards

Rex

Post by Rex » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:43 pm

Thanks, I will be physically in my home country but I will connecting everyday to my PC in the office via VPN and working on that and my salary will be / can be credited to my UK bank account as normal. So I believe that employer does not have to do any special arrangements for me.