ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

To Cover or not To Cover

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

sbalaji
Newly Registered

To Cover or not To Cover

Post by sbalaji » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:29 am

Hi

I am using some of the job portals such as jobserve, jobsite, cwjobs etc to apply for the positions. All these websites ask for a cover letter as part of the applications and I am creating a relevant one for each one of them.

But are these cover letters of any use when applying to the recruiters.. I see most of the jobs in these websites are directed to recruiters and not to the exact companies who have the openings.. So, do the recruiters bother to read these cover letters and/or forward them to the companies?

I dont mind carrying on writing the cover letters.. but it just takes some 10-15 minutes to get them ready.. and 10-15 mintues to get the resume customized.. so a total of 30 mintues per application..

Thanks
Sankar

kenfrapin

Post by kenfrapin » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:34 am

Hey Sankar,

There are those who agree to putting cover letters and those who dont. My personal view is that the cover letter can be useful to highlight, in 1 or 2 sentences, your major skills which is in lines with what the role requires. This may positively impact the recruiter who has to process 1000 applications.

It should also not take so long if you be smart - create a few blocks of sentences and store it in a notepad. By now you will have a good idea of the types of roles you are applying for. So, for example, there are 5 varieties of roles that match your profile as you have experience in these areas, just create 5 blocks of 2 sentences each showing your relevant skills on why you are best suited for these.

When you apply for roles, just copy/paste the best block and submit - Remember that the amount of effort you put in is directly proportional to your success rate :-)

KP

sbalaji
Newly Registered

Post by sbalaji » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:08 am

Thanks Ken

Thats what I have started doing.. I have created some 4-5 different formats and whenever required I just make minor changes to it and send it off..

Regards
Sankar