ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Will I be eligible for PSW visa?

Archived UK Tier 1 (Post-Study Work) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

FARAHwaqas
Newly Registered

Will I be eligible for PSW visa?

Post by FARAHwaqas » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:56 pm

hi, i have just finished my MSc course from leeds university and got my certificate on October 2010. Unfortunately I could not maintain my funds, would I be able to apply after 6 April from my home country with all the requirement of T1 visa full filled? As it is saying that those who are in the 12 months period after finishing their course would be able to apply for PSW visa.

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:26 pm

When were you awarded your degree i.e. When did exam board write to you informing you of your award?

FARAHwaqas
Newly Registered

Post by FARAHwaqas » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:09 am

submitted my dissertation in september 2010, and degree was awarded with the date of 23 October on it.

wherethefoxgoes
Newly Registered

Post by wherethefoxgoes » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:05 am

Far as I know, I think you can apply until 22 Oct 11 (one year's time after your awarded date). But I've heard that PSW seems to be cancelled in the near future. So I encourage you to apply asap! Good luck! 8)

arsenal49
Diamond Member

Post by arsenal49 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:17 pm

keep your eyes glued on UKBA announcements in coming weeks/months. Its likely to be abolished in April 2011, atleast for new students.

Rumour has it, they will have some transitional arrangement in place for current/old students( who graduated not so long ago) so you might be able to take advantage.

When are you planning to apply for psw anyway

regards

jlewisunh

Post by jlewisunh » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:34 pm

arsenal49 wrote:keep your eyes glued on UKBA announcements in coming weeks/months. Its likely to be abolished in April 2011, atleast for new students.

Rumour has it, they will have some transitional arrangement in place for current/old students( who graduated not so long ago) so you might be able to take advantage.

When are you planning to apply for psw anyway

regards
can u give me more info on these rumors, and where you heard them? thanks buddy :-) (u know my situation)

arsenal49
Diamond Member

Post by arsenal49 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:42 pm

i strongly repeat that its just a rumour...

but this is what i was told by my friend who is studying in one of the leading universities and was told the same thing by the uni's international office.

but take it with a pinch of salt....

lots of rumours will start flying as we get closer to the april 2011 :)

jlewisunh

Post by jlewisunh » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:50 pm

well I am applying in March so as long as there are no changes before March 16th...I think I should be ok.

arsenal49
Diamond Member

Post by arsenal49 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:08 pm

jlewisunh wrote:well I am applying in March so as long as there are no changes before March 16th...I think I should be ok.
all the best. i really hope you are successful with your app.

jlewisunh

Post by jlewisunh » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:54 pm

arsenal49 wrote:
jlewisunh wrote:well I am applying in March so as long as there are no changes before March 16th...I think I should be ok.
all the best. i really hope you are successful with your app.
thanks.
Last edited by jlewisunh on Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FARAHwaqas
Newly Registered

Post by FARAHwaqas » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:00 pm

Thanks Arsenal for ur valuable advice....my T4 visa is expiring in march and i will got my funds maintained for 3 months in the second week of April....i am afraid that they might not close psw for out of the country students..from which university ur friend has got this piece of information? because my university advisor is not telling me anything ,,she is rather saying me to check the ukb website for any updates...

jlewisunh

Post by jlewisunh » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:40 pm

arsenal49 wrote:i strongly repeat that its just a rumour...

but this is what i was told by my friend who is studying in one of the leading universities and was told the same thing by the uni's international office.

Another thing is this: student visas are good for one year plus four months. This is generally september start date and september finish date in the UK, is it not? If ppl finish in September, their visas are good until the last day of January. if the ukba announces transitional arrangements for 'recent graduates', in theory, these graduates would ONLY be those who have left the uk and returned home. i cant find any situation where a student would have graduated or be in the 4 months extension provided by the visa. say someone graduated in a random month like january or february. january would only be resit (not a lot of students) and no one graduates in february. so there really wouldnt be any 'recent grads' currently in the uk, in march or april, who are not already working and just hanging out, unless they decided to stay illegally past their visa expiration date. the vast majority of students who have recently finished a course or graduated would be september (visas expire in jan in this case) may (after april, so who cares). even if the ukba made an announcement as early as february...no one, or not many ppl have graduated in the preceding 4 months. know what im saying? so i think any transitional arrangements for recent graduates would have to be for those out of country, by definition. extending the possibility of psw to in-country graduates seems to be unlikely since these grads dont exist!
Last edited by jlewisunh on Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FARAHwaqas
Newly Registered

Post by FARAHwaqas » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:47 pm

Thanks Jlewisunh...thank you very much to provide me assistance in the time when I am really been feeling me all alone in these circumstances....what I assume; students same as in my situation would be given opportunity to apply for psw from out of the country.... am I right?

arsenal49
Diamond Member

Post by arsenal49 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:01 pm

jlewisunh wrote:

Another thing is this: student visas are good for one year plus four months. This is generally september start date and september finish date in the UK, is it not? If ppl finish in September, their visas are good until the last day of January. if the ukba announces transitional arrangements for 'recent graduates', in theory, these graduates would ONLY be those who have left the uk and returned home. i cant find any situation where a student would have graduated or be in the 4 months extension provided by the visa. say someone graduated in a random month like january or february. january would only be resit (not a lot of students) and no one graduates in february. so there really wouldnt be any 'recent grads' currently in the uk, in march or april, who are not already working and just hanging out, unless they decided to stay illegally past their visa expiration date. the vast majority of students who have recently finished a course or graduated would be september (visas expire in jan in this case) may (after april, so who cares). even if the ukba made an announcement as early as february...no one, or not many ppl have graduated in the preceding 4 months. know what im saying? so i think any transitional arrangements for recent graduates would have to be for those out of country, by definition. extending the possibility of psw to in-country graduates seems to be unlikely since these grads dont exist!
very plausible observation but what you failed to notice is that , all students in last few years or so were given visa when psw option was still available to them. So technically speaking they might argue why are we (out-of-country students who still satisfy psw requirement of degree award in less than a year) being left out from transitional arrangement.

So, in my opinion, if there is any transitional arrangement, i would think ukba will allow apps from everyone as long as their degree was awarded less than a year ago.

but then again.... who knows what they will be doing in coming months!

cheers

jlewisunh

Post by jlewisunh » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:01 pm

FARAHwaqas wrote:Thanks Arsenal for ur valuable advice....my T4 visa is expiring in march and i will got my funds maintained for 3 months in the second week of April....i am afraid that they might not close psw for out of the country students..from which university ur friend has got this piece of information? because my university advisor is not telling me anything ,,she is rather saying me to check the ukb website for any updates...
you seem to put a hole in my theory! when did your course begin? how did you get an expiration date of march?

arsenal49
Diamond Member

Post by arsenal49 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:06 pm

FARAHwaqas wrote:from which university ur friend has got this piece of information?
im afraid im not at the liberty to disclose it. lets just say the uni is in top 10 a/c to Times ranking!

Unis do have direct contact with ukba via student extension apps etc. so maybe she was told by a "friend" inside UKBA. i dont know.

as i said its just a rumour and yes they all "officially" say keep an eye on the UKBA website...

it could be good news... but just dont get your hopes too high in case this thing doesnt materialise

cheers
Last edited by arsenal49 on Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jlewisunh

Post by jlewisunh » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:06 pm

arsenal49 wrote:
jlewisunh wrote:

very plausible observation but what you failed to notice is that , all students in last few years or so were given visa when psw option was still available to them. So technically speaking they might argue why are we (out-of-country students who still satisfy psw requirement of degree award in less than a year) being left out from transitional arrangement.

cheers
sorry man, i don't get what you're saying. why, please explain, would they (the HO) would argue to leave out of country applicants out of trans arrang?
Last edited by jlewisunh on Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FARAHwaqas
Newly Registered

Post by FARAHwaqas » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:07 pm

Jelwisunah, my course began in september 2009 and finished in september 2010, Certificate of completion of course was awarded in October 2010.
it was from Jan 2010-28 Feb 2011...before this visa i got an year visa for PGD ....after compliting my PGD i got admission in university for masters course Sep 2010-Sep 2011.

jlewisunh

Post by jlewisunh » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:10 pm

FARAHwaqas wrote:Jelwisunah, my course began in september 2009 and finished in september 2010, Certificate of completion of course was awarded in October 2010.
it was from Jan 2010-28 Feb 2011...before this visa i got an year visa for PGD ....after compliting my PGD i got admission in university for masters course Sep 2010-Sep 2011.
if your master's degree course ended sep 2011 you should have an expiration date of january, not march.

arsenal49
Diamond Member

Post by arsenal49 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:11 pm

@jlewisunh

i am just saying that its not easy/straight forward for ukba to ban out-of-country applicants, if they choose to introduce psw Transitional Arrangement.

those students will have a good legal case ,if they are ignored by UKBA. thats what i think

maybe i didnt explain it properly earlier.. was in a bit of hurry :)

jlewisunh

Post by jlewisunh » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:13 pm

arsenal49 wrote:@jlewisunh

i am just saying that its not easy/straight forward for ukba to ban out-of-country applicants, if they choose to introduce psw Transitional Arrangement.

those students will have a good legal case ,if they are ignored by UKBA. thats what i think

maybe i didnt explain it properly earlier.. was in a bit of hurry :)
oh i see. i agree with you and only questioned your post because you said i had a plausible observation 'but failed to notice'...so i thought you were trying to counter my argument :-)

FARAHwaqas
Newly Registered

Post by FARAHwaqas » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:16 pm

as it is saying in Biometric Residence Permit,its valid from january 2010- end of Feb 2011

FARAHwaqas
Newly Registered

Post by FARAHwaqas » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:20 pm

Arsenal, thats what i think...lets say all of my course fellow were given choice of either make application from home or from inside of Uk...most of them have made it from inside UK but some returned home so they can find funds to show within the given period...and now at sudden the law is changed in the mid??? it is very unreasonable,,indeed seems very unlawful and unfair!

arsenal49
Diamond Member

Post by arsenal49 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:29 pm

i know, its not fair.......:(

just a mere 9 months back i was getting enough points to get Tier 1 visa! then they restructured the points and i wasnt able to score enough points....

i started looking for tier 2, im scoring enough points.... but they bloody introduced the limit on number of 'certificates of sponsorship' my employer could issue and again i was/am at the receiving end...

so... yes, i agree, life is not fair:) and thats an understatement of the century :)

jlewisunh

Post by jlewisunh » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:37 pm

FARAHwaqas wrote:as it is saying in Biometric Residence Permit,its valid from january 2010- end of Feb 2011
oh. huh, well anyway you're in the minority.

we can only hope that we get transitional arrangements. they could announce in april (or whenever, if its before april) that from april and going forward no applications will be accepted regardless of when you graduated. then you and i would be out of luck i am afraid.

but if trans arrang are made, we should be covered i would like to think, since we already graduated...